Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, actually I bought my 995 back in November from TGSCOM, just after the election for $240 including a 4x25 scope, shipping and FFL fees (price is higher now). I was planning on staying with the original Hi-Point stock, but one look at at that ugly thing when the 995 arrived and I immediately purchased an ATI stock from Bud's Gun Shop for $47.

So after some fudging with the ATI install which required filing all four mounting holes and quite a bit of sanding of the rear plastic plate in order to get the action to cycle completely, I finally got a chance to get some lead down range.

Well, down range around here is a local creek bed out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, instead of the 4x25, I tried out a cheapie Famous Maker Red-Dot scope that I had laying around.

WOW! Is this a fun firearm to shoot or what?

I did have some issues with rounds feeding, but the more I shot it the less this problem manifested. I put 150 rounds of WWB through it today and aside from the occasional feeding issue, I have no complaints. I'll take it home and put it through a thorough cleaning and look for any wear witness marks. Honestly though I chalk the feeding issue to it being brand new.

Accuracy was amazing! I couldn't believe what a nail driver this thing was, and how fun it was to shoot. I bought a couple extra mags from Hi-Point so I had three mags to use.

I have some plans for this fine firearm, including the Bushman trigger and much-needed charging handle. I'm also thinking of replacing the factory rail with a either a Bushman rail or a UTG rail milled to fit (I have access to a CNC milling machine). I may make my own charging handle too if Bushman doesn't hurry up and get some back in stock again. :)

I'm also thinking of installing a Cx4 tri-rail and a Grip-pod. If I don't get the Grip Pod, I really like the looks and specs of the Leapers/UTG TL-BP69S Bipod which could pull double-duty with my AR-15.

With the Red-Dot, I'm not likely to install a laser system on it. I'm also thinking about a compensator, but I'm not sure it's really necessary for performance as the 995 is very easy to keep on target for subsequent shots.

Anyway, you all can welcome another convert to Hi-Point Militia! I'll post some pics of my fine firearm when I get a chance to take some, but it's pretty run-of-the-mill at the moment so nothing you all have never seen before. :)

Lastly, has anyone parkerized the receiver cover? Is it easy to do? I'm thinking of parkerizing it.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:welcome:

Always fun to have another fan aboard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I picked up a Bushman trigger and charging handle this weekend when he got them back in stock. I can't wait to get them on my 995!

I don't like the raw aluminum look though, so I will have to see about painting them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
anybody that uses the word "manifested" in a gun review, and knows what it means, is alright in my book!

Great review my friend. Now wipe that stupid smile off your face before someone notices! :devilsidesmile: :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
For your receiver cover, I highly recommend Rustoleum textured black. It matches the colour and texture of the ATI stock EXACTLY. Degrease the cover with something, rinse it well and dry, then coat with quick, light, overlapping sprays until the metal is all covered. Bake in the oven at 350 for an hour. Repeat. You'll be pleased.

I'll get some photos up of my carbine soon as I can find the usb cord to my camera.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For your receiver cover, I highly recommend Rustoleum textured black. It matches the colour and texture of the ATI stock EXACTLY. Degrease the cover with something, rinse it well and dry, then coat with quick, light, overlapping sprays until the metal is all covered. Bake in the oven at 350 for an hour. Repeat. You'll be pleased.

I'll get some photos up of my carbine soon as I can find the usb cord to my camera.
I'm leaning against painting the receiver with any kind of traditional paint because the solvents used to clean firearms often also can remove paint.

That's why I'm looking at parkerizing, although the link mentioned by AKMbuilder101 also looks promising. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pictures would be awesome! I can't wait to try it:D
I'll get some up eventually, but right now it's just a standard 995 with ATI stock and a red dot scope, nothing that hasn't been posted dozens of times here.

When it stands out a bit, I'll post some good pics. 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the skeleton version, I really like how it looks, but I'm not a fan of the shiny aluminum look on firearms. That's why I've been asking about the Moly Resin stuff you posted about.

I'm actually concerned about the charging handle because it appears to be bead blasted, and the tips page specifically states that bead blasting is not good for adherence because it creates a smooth surface.

G

·
I got the skeleton version, I really like how it looks, but I'm not a fan of the shiny aluminum look on firearms. That's why I've been asking about the Moly Resin stuff you posted about.

I'm actually concerned about the charging handle because it appears to be bead blasted, and the tips page specifically states that bead blasting is not good for adherence because it creates a smooth surface.
THe skeleton trigger looks nice, can't wait to see it painted. With the sand blasted charging handle, I would scuff it up with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper and the molybend.. stuff should adhere fine. Once the part is heated the mist adheres upon impact. Good luck!

G

·
Thanks a lot guys. Now I've just gone and ordered a Bushman trigger, ATI front rail, and full top rail for my 995. :)
Would have ordered a new charging handle but it seems all he has at the moment is for the 4095.
Some time this week the money order goes out for a new mag release button too.

Hey Congress, I got yah stimulus right heah!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts