Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I picked up a used 995 at Cabelas last weekend for >$100, everything in perferct working order. I figure I'll use it while out and about on the ATV, or for some godo target shooting for the wife.

I came across this website after the purchase, and it appears that I did indeed make a good buy. I'd been looking for a Marlin or Ruger Camp gun, but am plenty satisfied with the 995.

The carbine came with two magazines, and I would like to buy one or two more, seeing as they are proprietary. I went to the local(reputable) gun shop today and asked if they carried any, or if they could order them. The Owner said he doesnt sell Hi-Points as they "have been known to go off just by chambering a round. In fact, DPS has a picture of the carbine on their website saying not to ever pick this gun up if you see it."

I kid you not.

My guess is he does not have any actual experience with the carbine, but it still begs the question; have their been any reports of odd discharges by chambering a round?

Anyway, thanks again for the info contained here.

G

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum from TN. Thank you for the kind words about the forum and us HI Point owners.

I have 3 Hi Points. A JHP-45, a C9-9mm, and the 995TS carbine. Between them the only problem I've had has been keeping them loaded with ammo. They have gone bang every time for over 2500 rounds. I have had no "odd discharges" from chambering, banging around, or even dropping.

Best place to get your magazines is from Hi-Point directly. They are about $17 bucks and no shipping. You'll get them in about 4-6 days.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
:welcome: from IL, just turn a deaf ear to those nay sayers, the 995 is one of the best guns hi point makes and its a darn good one at that. Less than 100 with 2 mags? I'd say you did darn good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.

Having recently moved back to AZ from the People's Republic, it is nice to own a carbine like this, and be able to walk into a store and buy it.

I still don't like the brass going across my nose being left eye dominant, but that is something I just have to be used to given most right handed guns. I do however like that the 995 is set up well for a lefty, even the safety is acceptable.(Mossberg 500s with the tang safety are nice for leftys, and Remington pumps(30-06 and .308) for the hunting rifles are also nice).

Looking forward to putting some more rounds throught this carbine.

Have a good weekend all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we spent the morning at a local range, and the 995 performed flawlessly, and garnered the attention of some folks that had never seen one, and were busy shooting some type of AR variant...they were impressed.

Now, I just need to find another one so both my father and I have one!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Remember that the lifetime warranty follows the gun, so if you ever need work done on it, you can send it back to Hi-Point and have it repaired at no cost to you, except for the cost of shipping. If you have any problems or questions, you can call the Tech Support line and get answers, even get missing parts shipped to you at no cost to you. Yep, I think you made a good buy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey all,

I picked up a used 995 at Cabelas last weekend for >$100, everything in perferct working order. I figure I'll use it while out and about on the ATV, or for some godo target shooting for the wife.

I came across this website after the purchase, and it appears that I did indeed make a good buy. I'd been looking for a Marlin or Ruger Camp gun, but am plenty satisfied with the 995.

The carbine came with two magazines, and I would like to buy one or two more, seeing as they are proprietary. I went to the local(reputable) gun shop today and asked if they carried any, or if they could order them. The Owner said he doesnt sell Hi-Points as they "have been known to go off just by chambering a round. In fact, DPS has a picture of the carbine on their website saying not to ever pick this gun up if you see it."

I kid you not.

My guess is he does not have any actual experience with the carbine, but it still begs the question; have their been any reports of odd discharges by chambering a round?

G
Several years back, I was hunting in the hills where I live. I had a Ruger 7mm magnum I had hunted with many seasons. Standing next to the pick-up I loaded the clip and pulled back the bolt and shoved it forward. The muzzle was pointing up and close to the steel lumber pick-up rack. Upon closing the bolt the truck shook and the rack resonated so loud I thought a bomb went off. I told the guy who I sold it to the next day of the mishap so I still have a clean conscious. New to HP so have never heard of any mishaps other than examples like yours.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey all,

I kid you not.

G
Sounds like you got a good deal on your 995.
I assume you went to the cabelas out in Glendale ?
As far as the guy at your gun store, just ignore him.
Clearly he doesnt know what he is talking about.
I have the 995 and have had no issues with it at all.
It is an awesome gun and alot of fun to shoot.
I also own the C9 and the JCP .40 and they all perform flawlessly.
Oh and one more thing:
:welcome:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.