Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new 995 at a gun show a couple months ago and have been lurking here since. I didn't know a thing about the gun when I saw it but it looked interesting and was only $200 so I grabbed it. I haven't been able to shoot it yet and I'm not sure if I should now.

First, when checking things out and making sure everything was tight the rear screw holding down the peep part of the sight system snapped right off. Not the adjustment screw but the back one of the 2 holding that entire piece to the gun. I have the head and maybe a quarter inch of the screw, the rest is down in gun still. I assume I'm going to have to send it in for that issue.

The second issue is with trying to cycle ammo by hand. I know it's not going to work so well by hand but it is pretty much not working at all. I have a bushman charging handle so I have something better to grab on to. To start, ammo does not stand up well in either factory clip. I do slap them to stand them up before putting then into the gun. Pulling back and letting fly is not enough to load the first round, it has to be pushed or pulled some more to get it in. Trying to cycle to the next round will either just hardly get the first round to dribble out or it won't move much at all and it gets jammed up with the next round. If the chambered round does manage to dribble out the next round in either clip is about as difficult to get chambered as the first. Basically if the round is going to come out it's just falling out, not being kicked out. Does hand cycling work that badly or does it sound like another issue?

p.s. If The Raddish reads this, Hi. I know you over at slickdeals although I'm not there much any more. At least I assume you're the same "The Raddish".

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm no expert, but it does sound like the loading, cycling technique is incorrect. If you have someone nearby who knows the 995 you might call upon them or take it to range/gunshop. I don't know what you mean about manually cycling unless you are referring to the first round being chambered, or you are manually inserting a round into the chamber without a magazine in place. Perhaps, the magazine isn't all the way in, not properly locked in place?

As for the broken screw on rear site, give Hi Point a call during the work week and they will send you what you need to fix/replace the broken parts(s).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By manually cycling I'm talking about pulling the charging handle to cycle rounds through. With half the screw left inside the gun I don't know how I'd be able to get it out myself.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hmmmm.

This doesn't sound totally kosher. Whatever that means...... Did the screw break off before or after you tried cycling it? How do you know the other end is "in the gun"? Did you take the gun apart and look? You can.

As for hand cycling - many guns don't hand cycle well. You cannot possible apply the same force a firing bullet can. So, trying to hand cycle is not a good test. As for loading the first round, I'm not sure if that "part" in the gun has anything to do with it. When you do charge it the first time, you need to quickly pull the handle back the WHOLE way, and LET IT GO. IF you ride the slide forward, you can cause issues.

Assuming you have jammed it quite a few times, you need to check the firing pin as well. I'm sure it's probably bent at this point. You can straighten it. If all else fails, call the mother-ship and have them take a look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By just looking down the screw hole you can see the top of the broken screw. Not to hard to know it's still there. I wasn't saying a piece just fell into the gun and is rattling around inside, the end is still down in the screw hole. I checked the parts view and that screw was part number 2, the rear "sight holder screw" so that certainly shouldn't affect cycling. For loading the first round, yes I pull the handle ALL the way back and let it LET IT GO. Never loads the round on its own with either clip, 2 kinds of ammo. Basically it takes multiple hits to get the round out of the magazine. I realize hand cycling doesn't nearly produce the force of firing the gun. That is why I asked if it works at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep, it's me. 8)

Have you taken the receiver cover off yet?

Disassembling the 995 is actually quite easy. Just follow these instructions.

I'd just take it down, clean it, and shoot it. Manually cycling is no indication of how the firearm will perform at the range. Mine won't manually cycle at all, but shoots quite well.

As for the broken screw, is it the hex head screw holding down the rail or the manual sight itself? Either way, you can call Hi-Point and they'll make it right, no questions asked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Raddish. I'm familiar with bolt action rifles which obviously always kick the shell out by hand so I'm glad to hear my 995 is being normal. I haven't taken it apart, I'll give that a try. As for the screw it is the hex holding down the rail. The back one, closest to the butt of the gun. The problem is the piece is still down in the threads. The screw cracked instantly upon checking tightness and the hex head and some of the screw popped right out, leaving just a bit of the screw down in the screw threads. The part that actually fell off I have in a bag, it's not loose inside the gun or anything. A replacement screw wouldn't help as there is still the bit of old screw down in the threads. I've seen a tool on tv where you can drill into a broken screw, then flip the tool around and it will extract it. I would need something like that but this is so small I don't know how you could fit anything in.

As for shooting it, I need to find a range I guess. I used to live up in the woods of the U.P. of michigan and I could walk out my door and fire away. Now I live in a city in lower michigan. I don't even know how a shooting range works. I'm guessing you just walk in and say you want to shoot. Do you need your own targets and such?

·
Registered
60 Posts
First things first.

Take off the receiver cover, and you'll see that the piece of screw is held in a little metal clip. Call Hi-Point and let them know, and they'll send you a new clip and a new screw. No need to extract the screw. When you take off the receiver cover you'll see what I mean.

As for a shooting range, you'll probably need an outdoor range, as most indoor ranges will not allow you to shoot a rifle or carbine. Google your town and/or county name and 'shooting range' and see what's available. There are often both public and private ranges. Private ranges you'll have to join and pay an annual membership fee. Public ranges could be free, have cheap per-visit fees, or maybe an annual fee as well, but in any case are usually considerably less expensive than private ranges.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, thanks Raddish. I thought I had some bigger problems but it looks like I'm ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts