Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any place in this forum that I can refer to, concerning preparation of the 9mm carbine before first trip to the range? thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suits me. Thanks for the advice. Noticed that the four bolts on the receiver could still use some tightening, and I tightened, then began to wonder how tight I should get them, using just that hand tool in the box. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Those bolts don't hold anything together, they just keep the receiver shroud on, so long as they're tight enough to keep from rattling loose, they're fine. When you start tightening them, remember the shroud is thin sheet metal, it will bend the walls of the shroud in and run the risk of putting a bind on the bolt while it cycles. One of the first things to check if you get cycling issues is if the bolts are too tight.

I have mine on hand tight, and they're fine. I don't like to get them tighter than I can manage to work loose with my fingertips, in case I need to in a pinch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All 3 of my Hi Points (2-pistols 1-995) have been trouble free right out of the box. I would not do anything to it until you find out there is a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, load and shoot. Went to the range today, this gun is fun......and accurate, much to my surprise.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
A good idea before the first and subsequent use of any firearm is to closely inspect it and give it a good cleaning, which requires a take down. I can only think of one firearm I have purchased that actually surprised me as to how spotlessly clean it was straight from the factory, a Puma carbine. The dirtiest surprise I ever had was a stinky gunky Chinese Hawk 12 gauge that came with some metal shavings inside the trigger assembly.

Here's a YouTube link to a video of a step by step break down of a 995...something that needs to be done to properly keep your carbine clean and in a safe operating condition. Hope this is helpful for you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a used 955 with no magazines,I ordered two pro mag 10 rd nickle magazines that I got today.When I install the magazine I have to push the clip release button to get the clip to go in,is this normal?
Thanks ,Herb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got a used 955 with no magazines,I ordered two pro mag 10 rd nickle magazines that I got today.When I install the magazine I have to push the clip release button to get the clip to go in,is this normal?
Thanks ,Herb
I think the answer to your question has to do with ProMag magazines. Personally, I think they are junk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Taurus; the only Pro-Mag products I have tried (for other weapons) were junk- looked great and worked very little.

Since then, I almost always stick with "original" mags. In other words, HP for a HP. In the case of military-type weapons, there are exceptions. For example, Adventure Line and Simmonds made zillions of M16 mags for the government in the 60s, 70s and 80s. So these mags are the real deal, even though they are not made by Colt, etc.

My two cents. :thinking:

G

·
Charging handle = farmer tight
receiver bolts = snug

That's how I did mine.
Yea, make sure the charging handle is tight. I usually sling my 995 over my shoulder when hunting, to my surprise, when I slung the 995 back to the firing position and reached for the handle...it wasn't there :cantlook:....no problem though, I just called up HI-point and ordered another charging handle free of charge. I'm thinking about that aftermarket aluminum charging handle, no more finger pinching with that I heard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.