Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased a 995RDTS 9MM and I have to say I am very impressed with it so far. And I have a few questions to ask

1. The gun store that I picked it up from had made a statement about never disassembly of the gun because they have had to ship so many back because of it. I have saw a manual on Amazon for this as well, that I am considering purchasing, so I wanted to see if doing a field strip of the gun is that hard that it would need to be shipped back?

2. As this has the Red Dot scope on it, I am thinking about taking off the front sight (since the back had to be removed anyway for the RD) Is there any real advantage to doing this?

3. Tool Kit? I want to either put together a kit or find out that has all of the right sized tools needed but not sure what sizes to look for. Anyone have a place that they have seen a full kit or can give the sizes needed for the different screws and nuts/bolts etc.

4. is there a reason why the sling mounts on the side and not on the bottom like a normal hunting rifle? I had the sling put on when I purchased the gun but I have since taken it off. I did not like the side mount felt very unnatural in its feel.

5. I have heard both good and bad in regard to the ProPac clips, I want to get the Mag holders with the ProPac clips, but I wanted to get other ideas on this.

6. I am thinking also about the TS Forward grip, but I wanted to see what the good and bad of this is?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Hi all,

I just purchased a 995RDTS 9MM and I have to say I am very impressed with it so far. And I have a few questions to ask

1. The gun store that I picked it up from had made a statement about never disassembly of the gun because they have had to ship so many back because of it. I have saw a manual on Amazon for this as well, that I am considering purchasing, so I wanted to see if doing a field strip of the gun is that hard that it would need to be shipped back? I have taken mine down no problem. Watch a youtube video and you should be set.

2. As this has the Red Dot scope on it, I am thinking about taking off the front sight (since the back had to be removed anyway for the RD) Is there any real advantage to doing this?The front can be removed if the rear is already gone. Some, me included, have kept both the iron sights and the red dot. Mine co-witnesses very well. There are some threads on here about that[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

3. Tool Kit? I want to either put together a kit or find out that has all of the right sized tools needed but not sure what sizes to look for. Anyone have a place that they have seen a full kit or can give the sizes needed for the different screws and nuts/bolts etc. The little tool that comes with gun is all I use other than a hammer and punch to drive out roll pins on my .45 pistol.

4. is there a reason why the sling mounts on the side and not on the bottom like a normal hunting rifle? I had the sling put on when I purchased the gun but I have since taken it off. I did not like the side mount felt very unnatural in its feel. I think you can make that happen with a little research. I don't mind it on the side.

5. I have heard both good and bad in regard to the ProPac clips, I want to get the Mag holders with the ProPac clips, but I wanted to get other ideas on this. Promags perhaps?

6. I am thinking also about the TS Forward grip, but I wanted to see what the good and bad of this is?
I like the folding grip that lays flat if you want it to. Some grips have storage inside.

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Hi all,

1. The gun store that I picked it up from had made a statement about never disassembly of the gun because they have had to ship so many back because of it. I have saw a manual on Amazon for this as well, that I am considering purchasing, so I wanted to see if doing a field strip of the gun is that hard that it would need to be shipped back?

2. As this has the Red Dot scope on it, I am thinking about taking off the front sight (since the back had to be removed anyway for the RD) Is there any real advantage to doing this?

3. Tool Kit? I want to either put together a kit or find out that has all of the right sized tools needed but not sure what sizes to look for. Anyone have a place that they have seen a full kit or can give the sizes needed for the different screws and nuts/bolts etc.

4. is there a reason why the sling mounts on the side and not on the bottom like a normal hunting rifle? I had the sling put on when I purchased the gun but I have since taken it off. I did not like the side mount felt very unnatural in its feel.

5. I have heard both good and bad in regard to the ProPac clips, I want to get the Mag holders with the ProPac clips, but I wanted to get other ideas on this.

1. I take my 995TS down all the time. No problems doing so. I can just not shoot one 2000 times before I clean it.

2. Hope you have better luck with your BSA dot sight than I did. I went through 2 of them in just about as many months. It was finally replaced with a BSA 4 power scope. It has done well. I would take the red dot off and use irons. Others have had better experience though.

3. The take down too that comes with the carbine is really all you need.

4. I think you will like the mounts on the bottom worse. On the side the carbine lays flat.

5. I really like the ProPac magazine holder. I would recommend it. Great way to carry extra magazines.

6. Don't have the forward grip on mine. Thinking about it though. If I do go forward grip, it will be the Hi Point version.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. No need to tear down a new HP right away. I remember how odd it was the first time I did it. Shoot about 500 or so rounds through it and you can run a cleaning patch through the boar after a range day.

Pull the front sight you wont need it with the red dot. Fore grips are a personal preference, i would rather put a weapon flash light on the bottom rail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies,

The only problem I have seen with the takedown tool is it does not fit the hex/tor bolts.

I want to take the whole iron sight off including the post so need to find the right hex/tor for that one, or to remove the side screws to put the strap back on. I was able to get the bolts back but the size of tool I was using did not fit good so I do not want to risk stripping.

I have been going back and forth on getting the fore grip and putting a light on a side rail

Only other question I can think of is I would like to change the trigger lock from the one that comes that uses the tool to open with it to a key lock, I know the general operations are the same but is there one that seems to fit better on the HP's?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I have both a foregrip and a flashlight on the bottom rail of my 995ts.

Attachments

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,068 Posts
:welcome:warlords1973!!!

Comments below in your text...
Hi all,

They are more stupid than the customers they sent it back for!
The carbines are a pretty easy one to take apart and reassemble.
Even I got it right on my First Try!:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :cool:

Lots of people do this, but some get a longer rail and use it all.
The ones with no sights tend to put a barrel shroud on there, too.

See Below: (#6)

I have a set on my 4595D and they work very well!

TSFG can be used to contain the HP Carbine Tool, it's all you really need for a carbine! Fits all hardware on the stock rifle, afaik...
:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Thank you for the reply, I noticed on yours you have a different type of grip on the hand grip. Does that make a real difference?
Welcome warlords! ! !

Looks like Tracy has a slip-on grip. Some of us use that, or wrap the grip. I use tennis racket wrap so my hands don't slip when they get a little sweaty. I don't think using a slip-on or wrap make the grip too big so I like them. I use it on the fore-end grip as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Thank you for the reply, I noticed on yours you have a different type of grip on the hand grip. Does that make a real difference?
It is actually one designed to hold a pressure switch for a laser or flashlight, and also extra battery. I just like the way this one feels. The other grip I had at the time was a hi point one, but it had a lot of wobble, but I believe they have corrected that problem.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

CDNN sports has a couple nice foregrips and priced around $9.

AR15 VERTICAL FORE GRIP 5 POSITION STORAGE

PRESSURE SWITCH HOUSING
Manufacturer: TARGET SPORTS
Model: AR-15
SKU: TAR303

AR15 VERTICAL FORE GRIP 5 POSITION

SKU: TAR304
UPC: 088234683138

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dane,

Thanks for the info. I will have to play around with some ideas and see how things feel.

Welcome to the forum!

CDNN sports has a couple nice foreegrips and priced around $9.

AR15 VERTICAL FORE GRIP 5 POSITION STORAGE

PRESSURE SWITCH HOUSING
SKU: TAR303

AR15 VERTICAL FORE GRIP 5 POSITION

SKU: TAR304
UPC: 088234683138

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
BTW, I have/had some relatives in Toms River. They had a crab business.

I remember going out duck hunting when I was a youngster when we visited!

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Looks like Tracy has a slip-on grip. Some of us use that, or wrap the grip. I use tennis racket wrap so my hands don't slip when they get a little sweaty. I don't think using a slip-on or wrap make the grip too big so I like them. I use it on the fore-end grip as well.
Bicycle inner tube is another way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts