Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came in to posession of a Ruger SPNY in .38 special. I understand that these guns were a limited production and made for backup, or off duty carry by NYPD officers. Can anyone give me some more info on this little baby?

Pics to come!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get a pic up in about a half hour(on lunch). From what i can find it is a SP101 special edition for NYPD oficers.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
That looks good. I just thought all Ruger SP101 were .357. You want to sell? ^-^

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Found the following on a Ruger forum:

KSPNY-182 New York City Police Department contract with target gray finish (all should have the short cylinder frame). Known s/n range 570-20269 to 570-47403. Rollmarked with "SPNY" on the side of the cylinder frame. "RUGER SP101" is not marked on the barrel. Probably not more than 3,000 produced. Rare.

KSPNY-182 New York City Police Department contract with brushed stainless finish. Known s/n 570-46737. Rollmarked with "SPNY" on the side of the cylinder frame. "RUGER SP101" is not marked on the barrel. Unknown quantity produced. This is probably a manufacturing overrun of the variation noted in the paragraph above. Extremely rare

Hope that helps a bit

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that. I'll have to check the S/N. You can see in the pics, it has the SPNY on it. SP101 is nowhere on it also. I think i may have found a gem! :D

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked my s/n and it falls in the first group. The more i learn about it the happier i get. Cant wait to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re-read last couple of posts, and looked at the gun. The gun is stainless. What would "target grey" look like?

S/N last numbers are 44**7. Where do you think this stands?

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Re-read last couple of posts, and looked at the gun. The gun is stainless. What would "target grey" look like?

S/N last numbers are 44**7. Where do you think this stands?
From what I can gather and this is just looking because I was interested in this from your original post, Rugers "Target Grey" finish is a low glare finish for stainless. If you look on the Ruger site currently they have a Super Redhawk in Target Grey which does indeed look grey in the pic but in r/l could be a dulled stainless? Also I read a few posts that said they called Ruger to verify serial # and which revolver they had exactly.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That may be what i do. I might just have to call them to see exactly what i have. Thanks for the info! ;)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Mr. Boom, you did find a gem in that one for sure. How much did that cost you?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mr. Boom, you did find a gem in that one for sure. How much did that cost you?
Nothing! There is a chemist at the Depot where i work. She is an older lady and small in stature. Someone gave her the gun years ago. She fired the gun at the range recently (first time), and decided she could not handle it as it is a heavy gun. She asked me at work one day, if i knew of anyone who might have something smaller and a bit less powerful to trade for the gun. I went to her house and looked at it, and told her she might have something there, but she didn't care. The gun was too big and too powerful for her.
So i offered her my Davis 380. She handled it, we went and shot it, and she is much happier with it. She can rack it and shoot it just fine. The Ruger is DAO, so pulling the trigger is the only way to cock it. Heavy pull!

BTW, the Davis was given to me by a family friend for doing some heavy lifting for her.

So it basically came to me for nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts