New bench!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Rachgier, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've been complaining for months that I needed to re-organize my bench so I can get back to reloading. Well I decided, screw the old bench, I'll just build a new one exactly the way I want it. The new bench is 4ft high, 4ft deep, and 5ft wide with a 2ft high pegboard across the back and a 2.5ft x 4ft shelf underneath for my compressor and tool bags, and the other side is an open well for my rolling tool tote. It's two benches in one because I am going to have a 30" x 4' gunsmith station on one side and my reloading station on the other side. I've got the reloading side set up the way I want it, minus a few shelves and mounting the turret holder I got from MaryB. The smithing station needs to have the 2 vices mounted. I've also got a 2-bulb 48" fluorescent light to hang above the center so both stations have plenty of light.

[​IMG]

I also got a wicked cool cabinet today for free while cleaning out an old garage/workshop for a friend. It's 5'x5'x18" and has over 75 drawers in it with label holders. Some of the drawer fronts are busted so I am thinking I will take all the good drawers and fill in from the bottom up and leave the top 3 rows of drawers open and turn them in to shelves to hold the bins I have on the bench so the bench top stays relatively clear. I'm going to do a bit more work on it tonight and will take pictures of the cabinet once I figure out where the hell to put it in my garage.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Nice work brother!

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Very Nice, Rach!

Over here? Too many projects and not enough time...

4. Rachgier

That was my problem. Too many projects, not enough time, nowhere near enough room to work. Now I can stop cleaning and working on guns at the coffee table. I just need to install a fan because I'm fat, it's hot out there, and the humidity is horrendous. That, and get the rest of the garage organized.

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    An old furnace blower (squirrel cage) would do nicely.
    If not for an exhaust fan, it makes a fine direct breeze blower.
    Stanley has a nice little one that is yellow and black, looks like
    a small squirrel cage. Moves LOTS of air, too.
    Dad and I both have one, he uses his when he burns brush
    and it burns up really fast! :D

Attached Files:

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Thats very cool, Rach! I would like to start reloading but the initial outlay of cash just puts me off. I can buy guns and ammo with that money. Plus I really don't have the room. I wish I did. I have been saving all my brass, I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet. If anyone's got a progressive set up they aren't using and would like to sell it cheap I might be interested...

7. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Nice!

I just wish that I had a garage or a shop here. This place we're renting doesn't even have a covered carport... :(

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have a nice 3 car garage. Heated, well lit, restroom, 8' roll away bar / work bench. But in the summer time it is too hot out there. Hmmm, maybe a window air conditioner?

9. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    Humidity in New York? :D
    NC is like brazil in the summer..

10. Bull

Pshhhhh..... Whiners! ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1403752323.124173.jpg

11. Rachgier

I used to live on the Outer Banks, I know how humid it gets down there. Fortunately there was always a breeze on the beach across the street from my house.

12. Rachgier

13. undeRGRound

INDY

He needs to plop his hairy @$$ in the blue springs and cool off... ;)

14. Svvift

Svvift Member

Nice bench.
    I need to rework mine some, as it's getting too cluttered with my two pro1000's and my single stage.

Also, hot garage? I can relate, being down in texas

15. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Have you ever noticed that no matter how big your bench starts out, it shrinks when you start using it?? :D

16. Rachgier

Haven't had that problem with the bench yet. The garage on the other hand, seems to be shrinking rapidly.

17. I have almost the same problem , I originally wanted to put my reloading bench in my back room but my grown up kids have furniture stored there sooo I ended up putting it in my garage where its wayyy too hot inthe summer and tooo cold in the winter to do anything !!

18. I get mine reloaded, $10/box of 50 rounds. Yeah I could do it cheaper but reloading isn't something I want to get into and $10/box is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new.

19. Rachgier

I run hot as it is so the cold is perfect for me. The heat is what kills me. I can always put on another jacket come winter time, but I highly doubt that the neighbors would let me get away with reloading in my birthday suit sitting in a kiddie pool full of ice and beer come summer.

20. Bull

Keeps em from being nosy!