Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a long day.

Eye exam in the early afternoon followed by a trip to buy an 8’ section of bowling lane for the new reloading bench. Laminated maple. Just over 41” wide. I’ll rip it down the middle and use both pieces. An “L-shaped” bench is planned. 2x6 cleats on the wall and 4x4 for legs. There will be a shelf of 3/4” plywood underneath each wing.

Should be damn heavy and stout as hell.

I have an internet buddy coming down from Wisconsin tomorrow night to help me out for a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Yesterday was a long day.

Eye exam in the early afternoon followed by a trip to buy an 8’ section of bowling lane for the new reloading bench. Laminated maple. Just over 41” wide. I’ll rip it down the middle and use both pieces. An “L-shaped” bench is planned. 2x6 cleats on the wall and 4x4 for legs. There will be a shelf of 3/4” plywood underneath each wing.

Should be damn heavy and stout as hell.

I have an internet buddy coming down from Wisconsin tomorrow night to help me out for a couple of days.
Pics and an article, mon ami. Pics and an article - sounds like I might want to copy it.🤓

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
I've been knocking around the idea of buying one of those harbor freight rolling tool-chests and using that as a base. Put my presses on a base of some sort, then clamp them down to the tool-chest. Roll it into the corner when not in use. I've been using a repurposed end-table as my "moveable bench" but it's pretty low and I have to lean a bit when seated in a folding chair so it gets uncomfortable after a while.

But let's be honest. I'm too cheap for even one of the harbor freight tool-chests. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,735 Posts
I've been knocking around the idea of buying one of those harbor freight rolling tool-chests and using that as a base. Put my presses on a base of some sort, then clamp them down to the tool-chest. Roll it into the corner when not in use. I've been using a repurposed end-table as my "moveable bench" but it's pretty low and I have to lean a bit when seated in a folding chair so it gets uncomfortable after a while.

But let's be honest. I'm too cheap for even one of the harbor freight tool-chests. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Just get one of those foldable work tables and bolt on a thicker top. Like a couple of 2×10, or 12s. You can fold it up when not in use.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Go down to your local Re-Store. Take $20 or $30 with you. Buy you a used commercial style wooden office desk. Instant reloading bench!

Make sure you get an old one made out of solid wood.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
This is what I use for reloading. It's pretty solid and heavy and not expensive.
Plus the table comes in different sizes depending on the space you need.
Walmart has them from $70 to $104.
If you shop around someone will probably have them cheaper. Maybe a thrift store.
To get it to the height you want buy wooden dowels cut to size and insert in the bottom hollow legs.
Mine is raised to 36" and works great with a tall stool. No other assembly required.
It's set against a wall and I have a bunch of wooden boxes stacked on it for supplies etc.
I've been using mine for 25 years for reloading and gun work and cleaning.

1616794561441.png

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wired, insulated and the floor is in.

Ceiling and walls covered tomorrow.

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I will be working with.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My help accomplished a lot and I am very appreciative of what they did.

The walls and ceiling are covered and the bench top is split and squared on the ends. We used 3/4” high-density (Advantech) on the underside. Glued and heavily nailed.

The wood is not maple. Appears to be Southern yellow pine. Someone else will help me finish the benches and shelving.

None of the electrical is terminated yet.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why do people match seams!? Stagger your joints!! It's a redundant strengthening safety measure!
We couldn’t fit the 8’ sheets into the room. Too many short corners.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
We couldn’t fit the 8’ sheets into the room. Too many short corners.
That makes no sense. Cut to length outside and carry them in. Also you should have stacked the boards horizontally. The more perpendicular orientation you can manage, the more inherently strong the structure is.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a little bit of sawdust making on my own this morning. The very first under the bench shelf is installed. Moved some stuff out of the old shop and into the new room.

IMG_2987.jpg

Very temporary powder storage. Still more in the old shop.

IMG_2988.jpg

One gun cabinet is in place, but lacks being attached to the wall.

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

The larger cabinet will go in the space at the end of the long leg of the bench. That side has bookshelves built in and houses my reloading manuals.

·
Administrator
24,334 Posts
Sorry brother, but as a former professional contractor, your whole "build" makes my left eye twitch.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly. I don’t care.

·
Super Moderator
28,307 Posts
This is what I use for reloading. It's pretty solid and heavy and not expensive.
Plus the table comes in different sizes depending on the space you need.
Walmart has them from $70 to $104.
If you shop around someone will probably have them cheaper. Maybe a thrift store.
To get it to the height you want buy wooden dowels cut to size and insert in the bottom hollow legs.
Mine is raised to 36" and works great with a tall stool. No other assembly required.
It's set against a wall and I have a bunch of wooden boxes stacked on it for supplies etc.
I've been using mine for 25 years for reloading and gun work and cleaning.

View attachment 72878
My current "bench"

Peace fav or your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
142 Posts
And the rest of the story......where the hell are primers, powder, and other little details coming from to reload anything??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts