New bug out plans for Western Kansas

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

on March 1st, I'm leaving for Western Kansas by bicycle, via state highways. Will live in temporary hand made shelters along the way, then in a permanent type of wilderness shelter once there. Unusual? Yes. But I'm committed to it. You only live once. Has anyone tried this before?

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The closest thing is my granddaughter and like bushcraft. A couple times a year we go out for a few days on national forest land and fend for ourselves. Have a good time going it!

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My air conditioning has went out a few times..... So yes......

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Are you "packin' heat" B9G? :confused:

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Where about in Kansas? I'm from Wichita originally, but have been to Garden City, Dodge City, the Flint Hills, etc. in the western part.

6. Rerun

Rerun Member

I've walked several hundred miles of the Appalachian Trail in my Youth armed with my knowledge of woodcraft, a 45 pound rucksack, two canteens and an AR-7 during the late '70's and early '80's.

I received some disagreement from local authorities about the AR-7 but, since it WAS a rifle stored in the butt stock, they tended to overlook it.

A handgun would have gotten me in gaol.

eldar

7. Browning 9 Guy

No plans to pack any heat. Destination is the area south of Goodland due to remoteness.

8. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

How long are you planning to spend travelling and camping?

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I used to make 2 week trips into the Boundary waters canoe area. Sleeping bag, fishing gear, knife, tarp, rope, pistol(bears) and a smaller canoe. I hit remote lakes where I was the only person for 30-40 miles. Ate fish and whatever I could forage off the land. Told family that if they hadn't heard from me by week 3 to start looking. They were given a map of my route in and out.

10. How long do you plan on staying in your shelter once there?
    How are you taking care of all your expenses back home?
    Why no heat? I'd definitely have something to protect my self.

11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Goodland is a couple of hours away from me. I don't know what you've got in place for a contingency support system, but if you want my number, I've got no problem rolling out with anything you might need.

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Don't give him my trailer to live it! :rofl:

13. Browning 9 Guy

Thank you, Rachgier! I do have family in this area who will set out if needed. Your offer is very kind!

14. Browning 9 Guy

Main issues will be tire tube failure and weather Minimizing weight while packing essential gear is paramount. Re: packing heat: Have decided to take a Keystone Crickett 22 & 400 rds of ammo.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Get the Savage Rascal. Much, MUCH better gun. In between the Crickett and the Savage price and quality wise is the Mossberg Half Pint or slightly longer Bantam, which can both use mags from the full size guns.

Or, even better (double the price) CZ 452 Scout.;)

My SIL bought the oldest grandkids a Crickett. They aren't "bad"...but they absolutely suck compared to every other gun in the class.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Maybe slime the tires?......

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Never hurts to have a back up for the back up. It's a standing offer.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

we need to put a tracker on him. :eek:

19. Browning 9 Guy

Advice well taken but I happen to already have the Crickett. If I were buying the gun all over again I'd go with the Savage Rascal or the Mossberg. Their extractors have to be better than the Crickett's.

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Winter in that area can be brutal... plan for extreme wind and cold! Not as bad as here on the prairie of MN but subzero temps happen! Whatever you use for a shelter is going to need a heat source. A small rocket stove can be built from junk and if it is ran horizontal under rocks you will have a warm floor.