Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me today! 1941 Enfield SMLE with bayonet $300 out the door. The rifling is dirty but strong all the way to the muzzle. The numbers on the bolt match the receiver and the front sight/bayonet lug.

The whole package.. not sure where the number on the stock came from.

Stamping right behind the action.. sorry for the blur, not the best with the camera.

Bolt & Receiver

The butt plate is a bit boogered up.. but I really don't mind.

Rear sight.

Bayonet mounted.

Now here's what I'm wondering. Good find or not? Any parts not look original to the rifle or aftermarket? The wear on the metal seems uniform over the entire rifle so I'm thinking it's close to original. I was also wondering what, if anything, to do with the wood. I gently stripped my Mosins and refinished with BLO, but I don't want to get into anything I shouldn't do. Also wondering about the bolt. It moves smoothly and locks up tight, but has about 1/8th of an inch of upward rotation when dry fired, which I'm wondering is normal. I do plan to give it a jolly good cleaning and have the head-space checked either way.

Edit: What would be the correct sling for this rifle?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Correct sling as in historical or functional?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Sure any decent Mosin parts site will have the slings, most Mosins come with them.

Just google it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Krippp. I found a sling for sale at the same place that I went to buy the tool you need to take the striker out of the bolt body.

Lots of sludge came out of the bore but it looks nice with strong rifling.. can't wait to get to the range.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Man, that is one beautiful piece of hardware ya got there. I have been looking for an enfield for a couple of years now. but there are none to be had around here. I guess I am just gonna have to fill out my c&r and get printed.

EDIT; I have seen them around here but they have been butchered and I want an original

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I was kind of worried about the price, but I figured that since it came with the bayonet and that I haven't seen one in original shape in a store in years it was ok to jump on it.

That and sometimes I see things on the rack that simply command me to bring them home.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Sure any decent Mosin parts site will have the slings, most Mosins come with them.

Just google it.
he'd have better luck with an ENFIELD parts site.
Thanks had a massive brain fart on that one as I have about ten Mosin threads going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice find, you got yourself an Aussie SMLE manufactured by Lithgow, and $300 with bayonet and scabbard, good deal, i've seen worse condition Enfields go for almost $300, without bayonet. Don't worry about the wood, it'll devalue the rifle, the Lithgows are desirable amongst Enfield collectors, especially with the matching serial numbers.

Is there a number on the bottom of the magazine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts