Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just bought my C9, cost me 199 with a hard case and a schweet Kershaw knife, I dont know if anyone else has seen these but its a small folding knife with the HP logo on it and it automatically flips open when I push a lever...its also ridiculously sharp haha.

Anyway, I took my C9 out firing today, my initial range was 10 yards, I thought that was pretty fair considering this is the first semi-auto pistol ive shot that I can actually recall shooting.

First question is, did you all have to adjust the factory sights at all? At 10 yds I was getting decent groupings (when I wasnt shooting improperly) but they were low and left from where I was aiming. I adjusted them to the best of my knowledge and it seemed to help. I couldnt find any instructions on how to adjust them, turns out at first I was going the wrong way.

Whats a good distance to try and sight this thing in at? I was getting good groupings, some of my 3-shot groups could be covered with a half-dollar, I just want to be able to put it in the right spot. Help!

Also, I had a few jams, which considering the gun is brand-spanking new, Im ok with. The most common jam I had was this kind:

If I tapped the back of the slide it would usually go ahead and chamber the round, although sometimes I had to pull it back slightly then let it go and it would go ahead and chamber.

I was wearing some moderately thick leather gloves during most of my shooting, as it was about 40 degrees outside, so I suppose its possible that the slide was catching on them to a degree? I grip pretty high and even after I took the gloves off I noticed the slide rubbing my hands when firing sometimes. Or am I "limp-wristing"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've found the best method for charging the C9 is to draw the slide all the way back in a single sharp snap and then let it go as soon as you hit the rear stop. Let it do its job.
As to the chafing, if you are right handed, then your left hand will be under your right hand and your left index finger on the little curved bit on the front of the trigger guard. If you grab your right hand with your left from the side, then your left thumb will rest over your right hand and the slide will chew on it pretty good. Trust me on this one.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Sounds like your gloves are slowing the slide. They can easily rub on the slide & cause it to slow down considerably.
If you need gloves you should try some tighter fitting ones for shooting.

One other thing to check is to rub your finger on the feed ramp to check for any rough spots. If you do find any roughness you can easily smooth it out with a dremmel or 600 grit sandpaper & it should solve your problem.
Just do a search for "buffing" & you should see plenty of posts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is not the first round that is jamming, although sometimes I do have trouble with the first round going in as well.

This jam occurs after a few shots, and I had 2 other people shoot it today, and it did the same thing. I also shot it several times without the gloves and it still did it, the other 2 shooters were also barehanded.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What type of ammo are you using? Some will shoot anything and some are sensitive to different brands, Ive had good luck with Blazer Brass, Magtech, Remington UMC, and Independence, tried one batch of WWB and it was ok but another didn't do too well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, now Ive got more issues. If the magazine is full it wont drop. It pops loose and then I have to pull it out, I look up inside the handle and the plastic around the mag release is pretty mangled looking. It pops out empties just fine, but does not release full ones. Is this normal? Because I do not recall having this issue when I first got the gun.

Also, I cant even feed a mag through by hand without probably the first 3 jamming. Ive heard the magazines require some work sometimes. Can someone give me a good thread for that? Ive tried searching but havent found any particularly good instructions.

Frankly, Im strongly considering calling the dealership I purchased it from and asking them if I can return it, then save a little more money and by something that I dont have to work over quite so much. I shouldnt have to be a trained gunsmith to operate a gun, its a little ridiculous.

Any other advice? Ammo is hard to come by in these parts, and feeding more through the gun seems like a waste if Im going to have all these troubles.

If I send it back to Hi-Point will they even do anything with it? Or just tell me that I need to shoot it more?

As for the ammo I was shooting I was using WWB, and my Remington Gold Sabers wont even feed properly by hand, I can only imagine what they would do under fire.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, now Ive got more issues. If the magazine is full it wont drop. It pops loose and then I have to pull it out, I look up inside the handle and the plastic around the mag release is pretty mangled looking. It pops out empties just fine, but does not release full ones. Is this normal? Because I do not recall having this issue when I first got the gun.

Also, I cant even feed a mag through by hand without probably the first 3 jamming. Ive heard the magazines require some work sometimes. Can someone give me a good thread for that? Ive tried searching but havent found any particularly good instructions.

Frankly, Im strongly considering calling the dealership I purchased it from and asking them if I can return it, then save a little more money and by something that I dont have to work over quite so much. I shouldnt have to be a trained gunsmith to operate a gun, its a little ridiculous.

Any other advice? Ammo is hard to come by in these parts, and feeding more through the gun seems like a waste if Im going to have all these troubles.

If I send it back to Hi-Point will they even do anything with it? Or just tell me that I need to shoot it more?

As for the ammo I was shooting I was using WWB, and my Remington Gold Sabers wont even feed properly by hand, I can only imagine what they would do under fire.
Quit using that crap Winchester White Box ammo, I know mine hates that crap. If you truly are worried about how this C-9 is working, call the company and describe the problems with it and send it home for repairs. I have one, my son has one as well, and he's worked on the magazines of his, he felt the spot welds in the magazine was causing it to stovepipe. We hit the range Saturday, he still had a few jams, my grandson shot mine, he had jams as well. I ran 3 magazines through it without a problem, so I'm putting the problem down to their limp wristing the guns. That heavy slide takes a little getting used to for some folks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the record, I cant even chamber the first round by hand with a magazine of Remington Golden Sabers. Maybe it is the mag, maybe its the feed ramp, I dont really know. I dont really care, but considering I just bought the gun a few days ago, brand new, I think a trip to the shop is ridiculous. If thats my only option, so be it.

As it stands now Im calling the dealership in the morning, If they will give me a full refund, or even a decent partial one Ill almost certainly jump on it. If they cant, I know they can send it back to Hi-Point a lot cheaper than I can. At least legally that is, and without having to lie about the contents of the package.

I know a lot of you have had good luck with your hi-points, thats great, I for one have not, I could see having problems after Id put 1000 rounds in it, but not with less than 100.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hmmm.

It's called break-in my friend. Less than 100 hasn't even heated the barrel up yet. Load the mags, keep them loaded full, or almost, while you're not shooting. I wouldn't try any PD ammo till about 300 rounds - just my opinion. As for cycling by hand - you cannot possibly do to the gun what firing it does. You might be able to cycle by hand, but it won't really tell you anything or help break-in. And if you ever get a 995 DO NOT try to cycle by hand.

If you want to sell the gun now, to someone here, you'd get it off your hands in about 3 hours I'm sure. I suggest however, you do a good break-in then decide.

And just think, you could've bought a $1,000 Kimber, $1,000 S&W, $700 XD, or $650 Glock and had the same issues and time to break-in. Congrats!

[ before any flaming - I own many of the guns I used in this example - I wasn't bashing, just making a point ]

Carry on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, what he said.

If you call the factory, they WILL help you.

Not every gun from any manufacturer will operate properly in the first couple hundred rounds. By 500 rounds, a pistol should be broken in. You do need to shoot it more, but there are other things you can do to help the situation.

The mag lips are a problem on many HiPoints, no question about it. I would check them before going through the loss of money on a trade or sending it in to the factory. It's an easy fix.

Polishing the feed ramp is EASY and can be done by hand. PLenty of info about that here on the site.

Since I had the same kind of trouble you are having with a C9, my guess would be polishing the feed ramp will probably go a long way to taking care of the problem. NOT using WWB is smart if your gun is finicky on ammo (the rounds are longer than normal and hang on the feed ramp).

Out of three HiPoints, two have run great for us and one has become a problem child. Read my post on customer service, HiPoint is AMAZING in that respect.

Splitter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I havent shot it since my trip to the dealer. Time constraints and such.

The guy I spoke too gave it quite a look over and worked with the gun for quite some time, oiling this and that, he did take a bit of scrubbing on the feed ramp with an abrasive pad, and did recommend the same thing everyone else had, simply too shoot it more.

What I have been doing, since shooting hasnt been an option, is running rounds through the gun by hand, using live ammo, yes I realize gun safety nuts will not enjoy that statement, but I do live alone, and I always point the gun at the floor when doing so, but I figure that would be similar to firing the gun, probably not quite the same, but similar.

He also gave me a new magazine, and I bent the lips out a bit, but I dont know if I did it right, or enough, or too much. I guess we shall see when I do shoot it.

For now, I can almost always feed a fully loaded mag through by hand, which is something I could not do before, especially with my Remington ammo, which is now feeding fine. I have also run some Magtech FMJs through by hand and they work great too. What has not worked well was the CCI Blazers, I only have a few of them. The salesperson gave me a big handful of 9mm ammo of various make and models.

I plan on shooting it more when I can, and Im also looking into reloading components for the 9mm so I can always have ammo, my dad owns most everything I need already, so it shouldnt be too much of an expense.

Im kinda new to semi-autos, but its seems most everyone says they need a break-in period, makes sense I guess. But my issue with Hi-Point is that if they are pricing to people on a budget, shouldnt they make their guns where the person doesnt need to put 500 rounds through it before it works reliably? I mean if a person is having trouble scratching together the <200 to buy a C9, it stands to reason they would have a problem scraping together the 100-150 dollars for 500 rounds of ammo...I dunno, that just crossed my mind today. You would think they might build them to more "functional" tolerances, similar to an AK-47 haha.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah it may be kind of a pain to break in the gun. But, do as much as you can when you can. That's how I broke in my Hi Points. It isn't just Hi Points either. The Marlin .22 I have used to jam like crazy when I first got it. The 9mm Sw Sigma I used to have jammed a few times in the beginning as well. It comes with the territory of semi auto guns in general.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts