new C9 fails to feed constantly

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by oshea1987, Sep 1, 2014.

1. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

I put about 300 rounds through a brand new c9 today and it faild to feed about 3 rounds out of every magazine and with every kind of ammo. here is where it is getting stopped up. Any help here? thanks.

[​IMG]

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

1) Was today the 1st time you have fired your BNIB gun?
    Did it work correctly before today?
    2) Did this happen with more than one magazine?
    Did the problem happen with new / older mags?
    3) Was it failing to eject or failing to fire?
    4) The firing pin is also the ejector, maybe a bent firing pin?

3. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

First time firing it. only have one mag. i don't think it's the mag. firing pin not bent

4. MachoMelvin

Before I would do anything, I would get another magazine. I have 32 Hi Points & 90% of all HP problems is in the magazine. If you have the same problem with the 2nd or 3rd magazine, then you know the problem was in the gun & not the mags.
    You can order new magazines from MoM.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/index.htm

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

15 mags for my 4095ts. 14 needed tweaking. Some more, some less, some clipped springs. The gun was perfectly fine. The one that worked was used and bought from a member who had the JCP.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome oshea, sorry you're having trouble with your c9. You might be limp wristing, especially if it fires a round and then fails to feed. Also, if it's new it may be break in. Although you did say you fired about 300 rds. Leave the mag loaded until you take it out again. That may help.

7. MachoMelvin

14 out of 15 mags needed work? You have allot more patience than I do? My
    1st mag with my BNIB C9, needed a tweak, but after I dipped it in motor oil loaded & let sit for a few days, no more problems. Since then, I dip all my new mags in oil now!

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I got a batch of bad mags with extra turns in the springs from mom. They said send them back with my carbine and get them back in maybe 3-4 weeks. I said no thanks I'll fix them myself.

9. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

well i sanded the feed ramp and same issue. Not limp wristing it. when it gets caught it just needs i light tap to go all the way in i'm just not sure whats obstructing it. I may Send it in. I've never had to send a gun back before so how does that work? do I just box it up and take it to the post office and they send it back to my apartment or do I need to take it to the store where I bought it and have them send it? I live in Colorado.

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Is that steel case ammo you're shooting or brass case?
    We've seen cases before where a new gun 'didn't like' steel case till it was properly broken in.
    Brass is smoother and 'slides' a little easier.
    Do the shells end up nose up or slightly nose down when they get stuck?
    I'm still betting on mag issues.

11. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

I didn't fire any steel case. This was done manually to show you where it is stopping but I did fire 4 different brass ammos with the same results

12. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

What is the process for sending it in? Start at the shop I bought it or mail it like a regular package? The manual says ups or usps so I guess I just take it to the post office then they mail it back to my apartment?

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Don't be in such a dead rush to mail it in.
    We have some extensive thread on. These guns and techie malfunctions.
    Read the stickies and take a good look at your mag.

14. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

I think it might be getting hung up on the ejector or ejection key as the manual calls it

15. MachoMelvin

I have sent several long guns back by USPS. But I let my FFL send the handguns. He charges me $20, and will pack & wrap it him self. Best thing to do is call MoM. But I would order a few extra mags 1st. That will tell more about your problem.

16. oshea1987

oshea1987 Member

I'm not going to buy a ton of magazines for this paperweight. Do you HAVE to go to ffl to send it to them? Anyway when its stuck and I release the mag it will go right in. I ordered a 10 rd mag. will try that.

17. Remember to clean and lube your C9 well after each shooting session - blowback guns like lubrication. It does sound, though, like a magazine issue. The mag is easily the weakest part of a Hi-Point gun, but then again, it's true of all semi-auto mag fed guns. ;)

18. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Handguns can NOT be shipped by a non-FFL using USPS.

You have to ship it back by UPS or Fed Ex. I wouldn't ship it back yet, easy problem to solve. What "grit" sandpaper did you use on the feed ramp? I use a dremel with a felt wheel and some flitz, NOT SANDPAPER.

19. x3benny

x3benny Benny Member

you might have to sand and polish the feed ramp, when i first got my c9 it did the same thing, what i did was bent the tips of the mag out a tiny bit and polished the feed ramp. seances i've done this i reduced the jamming of my hi-point.Not all gun have the same problems tho.

20. I've got several mags and one of them was a dog so it could be the mag... but I'm also wondering how you went about polishing the feed ramp. It's easy to go over board if you used sandpaper (I did that once on a Jennings J22)