Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Okay, I am the OP here. Thanks for the helpful advice, but I admit I cannot figger out Mr. Goodwrenches art work. And with all due respect to Mr. Talon, I am pretty darn sure something is wrong. I have not yet been able to go out and do any shooting with my new C9, as have had medical issues and am now recovering from surgery. Today is the first day I have been pretty much outta pain and felt like actually doing something. I thought would go out on the back porch and plink a couple of magazines worth into a dry creek bed on my property. I have kept the mag loaded, and have emptied and refilled it several times since I bought the gun. I emptied the mag and refilled it tonight in anticipation of doing the back poch plinking. Still very tight. After I pulled the yellow safety/shipping plug from the pistol, I found out that the mag would NOT seat into the gun with 8 rounds loaded. Took it down to 7 rounds and cycled the slide several times inside the house by hand. It spit them all out and seemed to work okay. Refilled with 8 rounds, and once again, it will not allow the mag to lock into place. It seems to have what we Mechanics would call "coil bind". Feels like the spring is not seated proper. I am thinking that I might be able to tear into the mag and try to fix it, I think I will contact the factory since this is a new gun. Thanks for all the advice, and I will report back the final outcome....

It seems to have what we Mechanics would call "coil bind". Feels like the spring is not seated proper. I am thinking that I might be able to tear into the mag and try to fix it, I think I will contact the factory since this is a new gun. Thanks for all the advice, and I will report back the final outcome....
Newness Stiffness or the spring's not seated perfectly. Unload it and use a ruler or something to compress the snot out of it. Leave it loaded when not in use.
Tight or not, he should still be able to cram 8 rounds in it. I still think the spring isn't seated properly.
If that's the problem, it's a simple solution. HP mags use a "Snap Tite" model design theory. A small flat-head screwdriver will pop it open. Check it for flash, dirt, or if some bit of something got in there and is blocking or binding. Make sure the spring is facing the right way. While it's apart, might as well lightly sand the edges of the "feed lips/ears." Lube it all and reassemble. This costs nothing, is easy to do, and can be done before shooting without harming anything.
k
I could be wrong but I think what your problem is your spring is out of place I have done work on my mags and had the same problem come up check your spring make sure your spring is in the top of the follower and up under the front edge
Sure would have been helpful if someone had suggested that. Eh?

Seriously? You even read your own thread?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Well, yes, I have seriously read my own thread. And if this was an old used gun, I would tear into it. However, brand new, still in the box, I would prefer to get support and / or verification from the manufacturer before I tore into and monkeyed around with something that may void any warranty. Is that wrong?

Well, yes, I have seriously read my own thread. And if this was an old used gun, I would tear into it. However, brand new, still in the box, I would prefer to get support and / or verification from the manufacturer before I tore into and monkeyed around with something that may void any warranty. Is that wrong?
You are doing FINE, BBD! I understand.
I'd tear right in, but I do that with most of my mechanical things, anyway...

HP (MOM) is very supportive of DIY'ers, she sends parts for MOST
Problems, if the buy asks! Or, you can send it in, Best Warranty in the BIZ!

Tear into the magazine with complete confidence. First off, there's almost nothing you can do to the firearm which will void the Hi Point warranty. I think you could probably fill the barrel with molten lead and send it in for warranty work to HP. No, I'm not joking, they're honestly that good. The biggest concern for a home <ahem> "gun smith" is tinkering with the gun and making it inoperable or dangerous, not voiding HP's warranty.

Second, tinkering with the magazine is just tinkering with the magazine. It's not changing the firearm. The worst you could do is bork the mag and that's a $16 item (including shipping) which ships from HP. You can have a new one in less than a week. If your LGS carries HP mags (some do), you can have a $16 replacement today.

Here's an alternative for you to try. Go buy a new magazine either from the LGS or have it delivered to your door from HP. The new mag will, doubtless, be a different manufacture lot and should tell you immediately if the issue is with the old mag or internal to the firearm.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Called Strassell's Machine this morning and described the problem to the Tech guy. He agreed there was a mag problem and advised to mail it in for a replacement. He said he could send a new spring if I wanted, but we agreed it would be better for them to look at it rather than have me tear into it.
Let you know the results in a week or so......:)

New to the forum and not a HP owner yet but I do like reading about the CS support from the manufacturer. Cmon FOID card.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
OP, here. To update, I sent the magazine back to HP on Dec 9th, and had not gotten it back, so called HP (Strassells) on the 22nd. The Lady said they had been swamped with orders, and the mag had gone out on the day before. I rec'd it on Saturday, the 26th. The replacement magazine did accept all 8 cartridges. However, I was a bit dissapointed when it mis fed several times by sticking two cartridges into the chamber. This happened with both aluminum and brass cased rounds. I was able to run a few rounds through it by only loading 7 into the magazine. Is this something I can expect to get better after the magazine is broken in? ALSO, I found out that I could not hit 12" round circles on my target from 12 yards? It did kick a lot of dirt up on it though. I guess I need to figure out how to adjust the sights.. I thought it would be better, because I was so impressed with how well my carbine shot right outta the box!

However, I was a bit dissapointed when it mis fed several times by sticking two cartridges into the chamber. This happened with both aluminum and brass cased rounds. I was able to run a few rounds through it by only loading 7 into the magazine. Is this something I can expect to get better after the magazine is broken in?
Double feeds on the first round? It may get better over time. Sounds like the feed "ears" on the mag are spaced juuuust far enough apart that when they bend/spring outwards ("Y" style) under spring pressure from below by the magazine spring, it pops the next round out. As your magazine spring "wears in" it will lose just a little bit of its strength and will probably stop doing that. You can hasten the break-in of the spring by manually working it up and down 100 times with a wooden dowel rod or similar device. You might have to ever-so-slightly bend the feed "ears" in just a tad, but I'd see if breaking in the spring fixes the problem first.

ALSO, I found out that I could not hit 12" round circles on my target from 12 yards? It did kick a lot of dirt up on it though. I guess I need to figure out how to adjust the sights.. I thought it would be better, because I was so impressed with how well my carbine shot right outta the box!
Have someone else shoot it just to make sure it's not your technique. But adjusting the sights is pretty easy.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.