New C9 owner

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sonic2wb, Dec 23, 2014.

1. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

Hey guys I'm new here.... and new to owning a firearm. The store I bought my gun from has a range down stairs so we took the gun from the case and fired about 90rounds thru it. Now I am using some of the cheapest ammo I could find at Wal-Mart. Trul-ammo 115gr FMJ brassmax.. im having an issue where its FTF u can tap the slide and it will close up. I have tried the magazine fix. I haven't polished the feed ramp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

The slide may be dry and may need to be oiled. I like Rem Oil but I'm not very creative. Wipe down the feeding ramp but don't polish it just yet. Store magazines loaded to help the springs relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

3. Lightly oil it and keep the magazine loaded until your next range trip, it should loosen up some and start cycling.

4. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

Thanks guys took it in the lower field today and did more shooting. I thought it was just me so i called a friend over and he says the same thing. The gun is shooting horribly low. You have to dang near Aim at the top of ur target to hit center.

5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Mine shot REALLY low the first time out. After that it was fine. Didn't do anything to it.

Have no idea what that was all about, but it's worked find ever since.

6. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

Cool thanks for the info. Got 200rds through it so far. So shes still breaking in.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME from the home state of Hi Point!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  8. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

You could be limp wristing. The C9 has a very heavy slide compared to most pistols, so link wristing issues that you never noticed before will be magnified. I had a similar issue, so I worked on getting a proper firm grip and it went away. Though maybe the chamber is fouled and needs cleaning, or the recoil spring could be worn out, in which case, call Hi-Point and they'll send you a new one. Actually new springs wouldn't be a bad idea in general.

9. colthrash

colthrash Member

is this a new c9? or just new to you? looks like someone polished the side of the chamber in the pic you posted...

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Woo Hoo, beat wganz to welcoming you from TX. My JHP is still breaking in and if I attempt to chamber a round with the slide locked back I have the same issue on the first round. I have about 400 rds through it now so the issue is most likely me. Works like a champ the rest of the time but I had a match 1911 that was so tight it did the same thing and I never blamed the gun.

11. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

This is a factory new gun i polished the side of the chamber i didn't polish the feed ramp because of the mixed views on it. Today it preformed very well. Its weird, its not jamming per say just the slide fails to close all the way. I can just touch the back of the side and the round will seat

12. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

Feeding issues seem to be a common problem with Hi-Points and Tula ammo. Spend a couple bucks more and buy some brass cased ammunition.

13. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

I plan on picking up some hornaday critical defence next week to check out and see how they work

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Happen when firing it or racking by hand? If by hand, don't sweat it. It'll get better as it breaks in and you get used to racking it (HPs are a bit fussy about the technique). Little oil in the firing pin channel and trying a different ammo won't hurt.

15. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

Both and its not "jammed" light pressure on back of slide it will close up i mean just laying your finger on it will cause it to close

16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Make sure the recoil spring isn't bent and firing pin springs aren't tangled. Oil it and shoot the hell out of it. It'll get better.

17. bplynch66

bplynch66 Member

Hi! My first post, I am not qualified to advise, but still willing to share my experience. I have a C9 that has only seen about 50 rounds and Only used winchester white box ammo and havent had a jam or ftf, same with my 380, no failures yet, and nowhere near broken in. I am a true fan of what hi point is, and so glad to hear normal comments. If you really dont like a product, simply buy something you do like, nobody said I had to buy mine, I chose it and am very glad I did.

18. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

I am new to this forum and was going to ask the same question as the OP. The slide on my CF380 does not always close all the way. I will take it to the range today and use some good quality ammo to find out if that fixes the problem.

19. what_now

what_now Member

I have 3 C9's and a CF380 and had FTF issues with all of them. The CF380 was feeding nose up and jamming inside the chamber so the slide would not close all the way. It wouldn't even go through more than 3 rounds without jamming up. I polished the feed ramp which helped but it would still jam up at random. Sometimes it would go through a mag with no problems, sometimes the first round wouldn't go in, sometimes the 3rd round would jam, etc. I sent it to MOM and got it back with a note saying they test fired 7 rounds and had no problems so they sent it back with no repairs. I finally took it apart and watched what was happening when I pushed a round in the chamber. The bullets were bumping into the LRHO tab forcing them upward. I ended up filing about an 1/8 inch off the LRHO tab and that solved the problem.
    More info on another thread:
    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f273/c9-alot-problems-304507/

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME, from the home state of Hi Point!