New C9: Slide Won't Slide with Magazine Inserted

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Caveman, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Caveman

Caveman Member

New C9: Slide Won't Slide with Magazine Inserted - FIXED

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Hi-Point C9, my second auto. My other auto is an old Beretta 950 BS .25 ACP. The only experience I have with autos is the Beretta, everything else I have is a revolver.

I took the new gun out to the range and fired just under 200 rounds through it. I was using Federal 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ RN ammo. At first I was getting one or two misfeeds per eight-round magazine. After about five magazines, it was down to about one misfeed per magazine. By the end of the day, there was one misfeed per every two magazines.

Among my group was a guy that is a professional firearms instructor. He had the same problems firing it, so I think it's a gun problem and not a shooter problem. (When I have gun problems, my first assumption is that it's a shooter problem.)

That many misfeeds is completely unacceptable. I've read about magazine problems here on the forums and plan to see if I can fix the misfeed problem.

So I get home from the range and disassemble the the gun for cleaning. Requiring a pin punch for disassembly seems a little goofy, but I can live with it. With the money I saved by buying the C9, I can buy a truckload of pin punches.

I cleaned the gun thoroughly and reassembled it. I pulled the slide back a few times and everything seems to work fine. I put an empty magazine in it, pulled the slide back and the slide locked in the open position. I couldn't get the slide to return until I dropped the magazine. Then it worked fine again. I inserted the magazine again and it locked up until I dropped the magazine. I disassembled and reassembled the gun several times to make sure I did it correctly.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I found a schematic on this page: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Hi-Point-33293/ModelC9-43171.htm

My gun does not have a firing pin spring cup (#7). The slide retainer (#8) sits directly against the firing pin spring (#6). My gun also has two firing pin springs, a long narrow spring and a shorter larger diameter spring that fits over the narrow spring. My firing pin (5) looks like firing pin style 1 in the parts list.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I tried to include as much detail as I could think of.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. ace

ace Member

I'm assuming your talking about the last round hold open. It is supposed to operate in that manner. So when you have shot the last round the slide locks back. You then insert a new mag give the slide a slight jerk back and let it go and start shooting again.

But you should put the firing pin into slide then firing pin spring and finally the dolls head.

3. ace

ace Member

Oh and it don't matter if you have the old 1 firing pin spring or the newer two spring. The newer dolls head has a pin on a flat side that goes into the spring. The old one is just round and you just put it in the channel.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Well......welcome.
    A new gun out of the box requires some break in time.
    I'd have to take a guess and say 150-200 rounds or so should do it.
    Up to then expect some issues here and there as parts are wearing in.
    On the other hand the magazines are the notorious weak link with the Hi Point line especially the C9. So if it continues after 3-4 boxes of ammo get some other mags or adjust them.

As far as the slide locking back with an empty mag, it's designed to do that.
    The slide hangs up on the Last Round Hold Open or the LRHO
    part 34 if I'm not mistaken.
    You can get some snapcaps and verify the correct workings of your gun.

[​IMG]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dat3E-SxRZc[/ame]

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep...empty mags will activate the hold open, and the slide will stay at the rear.

You must drop the mag, pull the slide back and release, and THEN put the empty mag in, assuming you want the gun to remain empty.

6. Caveman

Caveman Member

I had watched that exact video earlier.

Just now, I put one round in the magazine, inserted the magazine, and it worked fine.

Don't I feel stupid now!

Thanks. I'm off to work on the feeding problem now.

7. SWAGA

The feeding problem may not be a problem at all.
    You have have 3(4) variables;

1. The gun
    2. The mag
    3. The ammo
    4. ( The shooter)

Try different ammo before you do anything else.
    Ammo is produced to certain standards but these may not be exactly the same for every brand.
    As far as the shooter, I've posted this video before.
    It's about a keltec but the theory/technique is the same.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJM1BDMjge4[/ame]

8. Caveman

Caveman Member

One of the guys in our group was a professional firearms instructor. Limpwristing was the first thing he thought of. When I started concentrating on a firm grip the misfeeds became farther apart, but I was still getting them. He tried my gun and had misfeeds too. I'm going to try running 100-200 more rounds through it and see if it gets better. I'm going to try a different magzine to see if that helps.

My current home defense gun is a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag loaded with .44 Special ammo to lessen the recoil and increase control. I want to go to a 9mm so that if I ever shoot a home invader, the bullet won't go through him and my neighbors' apartments too.

Revolvers fire first time, every time. I need something that is absolutely 100% reliable for home defense.

9. SWAGA

What qualifies as a misfeed?
    Round stuck nose up or down?
    Double feed?

10. Caveman

Caveman Member

The round is about halfway out of the magazine with nose up.

11. SWAGA

Can you take a picture?
    That sounds like mag issues.
    But I'm no C9 expert as I don't have one.
    We have a thread somewhere that detail the correct distance for the mag feed lips.

Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

Or more like this:

[​IMG]

Or like this:

[​IMG]

12. Caveman

Caveman Member

I'm going to try going shooting tomorrow. I'll take some photos then.

I really appreciate your help.

13. SWAGA

Slap the back of the mag in your hand to get the rounds to settle and take a picture from the side so we can see if the first round sits high or low.
    We've got some guys here who can tell a lot from a pic or two.

From what I know sometimes the LRHO tab is the culprit as it can be a fraction to long and touch the top round.
    White latch in this picture:

[​IMG]

Take the slide off and insert a loaded mag and see if it touches.

14. Caveman

Caveman Member

OK. I'll get photos just before I insert the magazine, when I get a misfeed, and then again when I remove the magazine. If I remember correctly, it's very similar to the center photo with the bullet up and the case down or snagged on the magazine.

15. SWAGA

Like I said I'm no C9 guru I'm just good at finding pictures ;)

16. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Keep your mags loaded, too, to help loosen the springs.

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Limp wrist. I would bet. Even a pro can do it. The C9 it's easy to do it. Keep shooting it and get used to it. Don't adjust anything for a few hundred rounds. Keep the mags loaded to set the springs.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If it were me, with that middle picture, I'd roll the rear lips out just a touch, and possibly roll the front in just a touch.

Or...just try other ammmo?

19. Caveman

Caveman Member

I went out and shot 50–60 rounds through it. It worked flawlessly.

Some thoughts...

The first time I took the gun out, it was literally right out of the box. Taking it apart, cleaning, and oiling it after the first day shooting may have made the difference.

I may have just been holding it better today. (Most likely cause?) I tried more one-handed shooting today instead of the two-handed stance the first day, although I did go through two magazines (16 rounds) of the two-handed stance without any problem.

I was using the same ammo from the same lot, so I don't think the ammo had anything to do with it.

The gun has been fired more (more rounds total) today than the first day (obviously). The magazine seemed easier to load today than I remember. Maybe the gun needs a break-in period?

Maybe it's magic, like that noise in your car that goes away when you get to the repair shop.

Thanks everyone for your help. As I said in the original post, I'm fairly new to automatics and they are different than revolvers. I probably need practice more than anything else.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Glad it's working for you!:)