New c9 TROUBLE

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by tantor, Jun 1, 2008.

1. tantor

tantor Guest

I have had my c9 for about 2 weeks and have put over 300 rounds through it. Today I went out to shoot and had trouble with it. One failed to fire and two fail to feeds, within 30 rounds. Both fail to feeds I had to take out the mag and let the bullet drop out the bottom and reload it. On the fail to fire I reloaded it and it fired fine. It is having other failures like not chambering a round once in a while and only two stovepipes, those were in the first two mags. Iv'e heard this is common during breakin period so how long is the breakin period last?

I have done the basic barrel cleaning, anything else I should be doing?

HELP!!! I like the gun and don't think I should be having these kind of problems.

Brett from KY

2. Alright, I have a couple of questions for you.

Have you cleaned & lightly oiled the gun after each outing? If not, then you may just need to do that. You could also feel the feed ramp. If it's a little rough then you may need to polish the feed ramp. See the Sticky about that for complete info. I can't seem to find it but I know it's out there somewhere.

Are you "Limp Wristing" at all? This will cause your FTFeed problems.
    It will also cause FTE.
    If your firing 1 handed when this happens that would most likely be the problem. Check your grip & the follow through on your shots.

On the FTFire, did it have a hard trigger pull? I had this problem & it was the safety partially engaging which caused the trigger to have a hard pull & a light strike on the primer.

You may also want to try a different ammunition to see that is the problem.
    Some guns don't like certain ammo & others will fire most anything.

Let us know how you do at your next outing & if you have any problems, especially the FTFeed, let another experienced shooter try a few shots to see if it's you or the gun that is having trouble.

3. FYI: Limp wrist is not cured by a strong grip. It is cured with a stiff wrist. You can strangle the gun and still limp-wrist it. A good two-handed grip is the best way to go.

If it sounds like I am preaching, it is only because I suffered from serious limp-wristing at first. It took a determined effort to overcome this problem. Now, I just want to spread the news.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world's greatest little discussion group.

4. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I concur with the suggestions from both of the previous posters.
    One thing to consider, is how you grip the pistol, and how you physically have your posture (as SR said) holding your hands with your arms.

5. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I concur with the suggestions from both of the previous posters.
    One thing to consider, is how you grip the pistol, and how you physically have your posture (as SR said) holding your hands with your arms.

6. Limp wrist was a problem for me with the .40 and .45 Hi Point pistols.

I blamed the pistols until I realized it was me causing the trouble.

7. hobo

hobo Guest

This is my suggestion.

Both my wife and I, at the beginning of our handgun addiction, had what I believed were limp wristing problems based on information gained on this forum. Of course, we both denied doing it. Then we had a brainstorm. The next weekend we took our digital camera and a disinterested third party to record us while shooting. Then we went home and watched the vids.

Guess what. We both were able to identify a multitude of sins. Since that time, we have not only had zero problems related to limp wristing, but we have also substantially improved our target placement, grouping and consistency. Target centers being blown out at 15 yards with one mag is now the norm rather than the exception. We might be able to kid ourselves but the camera doesn't lie, and now it's a permanent part of our range bag.

So, have someone film you, ideally when you're not aware they are.

Good luck and have a great day.