new c9

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by colthrash, Sep 25, 2014.

1. colthrash

colthrash Member

I picked up a c9 w/holster last week, and 2 10 round magazines. I was given 6 boxes of various 9mm ammo by my son so I needed something to shoot them with. I purchased a new box of ammo to run through it first. the 8 rounder and one of the 10 rounders functioned without problems. the other 10 was not happy. when I changed over to the donated ammo, none of them were happy. so I brought everything home, did the mag tweaks and feed ramp. a good cleaning and light oil. hope to get out this weekend and retest everything. accuracy was good, paper plate zombies don't stand a chance. recoil was very manageable. it even piled the brass up for me (my 380 spits them into outer space). I will take another box of new along with the donated ammo for comparison. I will post with results and some pics after the range...

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So because one mag was finicky you went buck-nutty on it? OK?

3. colthrash

colthrash Member

I'm from Nevada, I do what I want...

4. colthrash

colthrash Member

stupid rain, I live in the desert for a reason...

5. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Thanks for the report on your new C9! Let us know how the second range trip goes.

6. colthrash

colthrash Member

well after getting rained out for two days, I have watched all the c9 repair tricks and tips videos, cruised the repair threads here, and looked through the stickied posts. I have tweaked, filed, polished, cleaned with hoppes 9, wiped down, oiled, and polished some more. my c9 is now the size of a bodyguard 380. (I jest, but it was a lot of cleaning and polishing) if the creek don't rise I will get to shoot it this weekend.

7. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

I musta got lucky, mine kicked butt right out the box first 100 rounds.......next coupla hundred rounds with reloads, still no problems

8. colthrash

colthrash Member

well, I put 150 rounds through it today, 100 blazer, and 50 norinco (some of the donated ammo). it ran a lot better than last time, but I still had trouble with ftf on the first round or two out of the magazine. I got to looking at it and saw that the magazine catch is pushing the magazine to the left, where it is hitting the lrho bar. this caused the round to go nose down. it did it with both types of ammo, and the 8 and 2 ten rounders. I found that twisting the mag clockwise as I inserted it would create enough of a gap to allow the round to seat properly. I also figured out that pushing the mag release would accomplish the same thing. I had a couple of ftf on the second round, and these had to be cleared by hand. again on closer inspection I could see the round hung up on the lrho bar. I have cleaned and oiled it again and will try to get out this coming weekend again. I am not giving up...

9. colthrash

colthrash Member

went to the range today and only had issues with the donated ammo, the new ammo worked great! liking the c9 more and more every time I take it out.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  10. colthrash

colthrash Member

ran another 150 rounds through the c9 today, and 50 through the jhp. no issues with either one of them. gotta love it.

11. I do love my C9! The value for the price can't be beat, and the warranty is #1 in the business. I have 438 rounds of fmj fired for 3 fail-to-feed and 5 double-feed malfunctions - I do nothing to it, other than spray clean with Rem Oil after each shooting session. :D

12. colthrash

colthrash Member

well I've burned through about 700 rounds so far, the c9 is running like a champ. I took the 45 and 45 carbine out today and put 200 down range. I set my red dot for POI at 30 yards, and put 3 full mags on the steel. I had to call it a day after 200 (still recovering from right shoulder surgery), I have several more months for full recovery. it is still tender after 6 months, doc says it could take up to a year. I will just keep shooting the pistols, as it is paper plate season...

13. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Wow. Shoot up some serious ammo!

14. colthrash

colthrash Member

after being sidelined for 5 months plus the beautiful weather out here (65 degrees today), I felt the need to get caught up...

15. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Can't beat that! ;)