New C9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Jay200, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Jay200

Jay200 Member

I get to pick my C9 up tomorrow after a long 11 day wait. I have never owned a handgun before and wanted to know what is the first thing I should do?

2. Recoman

Recoman Supporting Member

BE CAUTIOUS FIRSTOF ALL!!! Inspect it, buy some ammo, shoot that baby. If you have malfunctions, load your mags and let them sit. If you have malfunctions, don't let it aggravate you too much. Some Hi Points, most, need broken in. Some are great out of the box. I was lucky in that respect, no malfunctions yet, except with the 10 round mags. You stick around here, you'll get plenty of info. Just don't let some of them intimidate you. :D Given some time, you'll love your new Hi-Point and SOME forum folks.:eek:

Attached Files:

3. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Welcome to the forum! And to add to what Recoman said, sometimes the feedlips of the mags may need to be tweaked a little. You wont know that until you fire it though. Once you have fired it and if you have any issues, come back here and post them up and we will try to help you get through them. Again, welcome!

4. Recoman

Also, do not hand cycle live rounds!!! Firing pin works as ejector!!! Study this forum. Check out youtube, and ask any questions you might have. The only stupid question is the one not asked!!!

5. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Forgot about the cycling live rounds! Thanks Recoman! Get you some snap caps if need be.

6. Recoman

Well FireFan, I forgot the feedlip thing, so we each get a mark for leaving out THE 2 biggest issues!!!:eek::eek: LOL...

7. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

But let the mags sit loaded for a couple of weeks to loosen the springs up, THEN if you still have problems adjusting the feed lips MAY be required. You can also work the follower up and down a 100 times or so with a dowel rod, ruler, etc. to loosen them up. The 10 rounders may take longer, but they work fine when the spring gets loosened up.

8. Jay200

Jay200 Member

What exactly do I inspect? How well do I need to clean and oil it out of the box?

9. Recoman

Just look for obvious damage or anything like that, though unlikely. Clean, oil, "we don't need no stinking oil" lol. Kidding, but I have about 250 rounds through mine. No oil, no deep cleaning, just a wipe off and a barrel swipe. And that is honestly right out of the box. Picked it up at my FFL, Wally World for ammo, straight home, loaded up, put 50 rounds right off the bat!!! Not a hiccup. BTW, my backyard is my range. This is a true story, and you'll probably hear more of the same. As I said though, BE CAUTIOUS!!! You know what your own knowledge and experience are, so just go with it!!!

10. First, give it a good overall visual check using the schematic that's included to look for anything that's obviously missing or cracked You won't need to take it apart. Next, dry fire it with an empty magazine a few times to make sure that it works. Hi Point has world-class customer service so feel free to contact them or ask in here if you find any issues.
    I would suggest that if you've never fired a firearm that you take an NRA class to learn the safety basics. Once that's done, load up a few clips at the range and have a lot of fun.

11. Jay200

Jay200 Member

Well picked it up and everything looks good. Loaded the mag with federal aluminum when I got home. I know why you guys say to let it sit loaded. The spring is pretty stiff. While loading rounds it felt like they were scraping on I'm guessing the lips but could be because I wasn't pushing down hard enough. The rounds were nose down but I tapped the mag on my hand and corrected that. Can't wait to get to the range.

12. tkd_fan

tkd_fan Member

I have noticed that, in my HP C9, the federal aluminum can have issues with stovepipes after firing. Most of the time it's because I'm limp wristing and after shoring up my grip it gets better. I tend to use the aluminum cased rounds for range time because they're the cheapest around and are in stock most of the time at Wally world.

13. Recoman

I have used the Fed alum almost exclusively in my C9 with zero issues. I have mixed it with Tula steel and Perfecta brass, all mixed in one mag, to actually TRY for a failure :eek:. Haven't had one so far, and as tkd said, it's the cheapest, cheaper than Tula and Perfecta, and almost always in stock, at my local wally anyway. The aluminum is fine from my experience since I don't reload. I use it in my 995TS also with same results.:D

14. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

BE VERY CAREFUL;

Hi Points re-produce like RABBITS!!!

15. Recoman

DEFINITELY!!! What Mel said...I ended up with 3 in a six month period, and couldn't really afford it. Got a C9, so I had to have a 995TS. I have a 1911, so I had to have a JHP, never had a 40 of anything, so now I want a JCP!!! Next it'll be carbines to match and so on and so on!!! SMH...

16. Jay200

Jay200 Member

I would have loved the .40 or .45 but apparently you can't buy them in California. Has anyone used the WWB personal defense? I believe it's a 124 grain jhp.

17. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Welcome to the forum, Jay. In addition to lots of information, you'll find there are many interesting and likable people here.

18. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

learn firearm safety from a reliable friend or a reliable course. If you go to the range without training let the range owners know. usually they will have a staff member who can guide your through some basics. once you have been trained PRACTICE. It's gonna cost a bit in ammo but you have to be proficient with your firearm. If you're not proficient then you are more of a danger to people around you when you go to use your weapon. I recommend once a month MINIMUM to maintain proficiency once you have a solid foundation. and this is for each firearm you own. proficiency with a revolver is not the same as with a semi auto.

good luck with your new C9...I have had mine since January and really enjoy it.

19. Jay200

Jay200 Member

Well Ive had it for a week and half or so. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Ive left the mag loaded and use a clean paint stick on the spring every couple days. I can already feel that its easier to load. Ive had mixed reviews on if I should clean and oil it before I shoot it. The guy at the gun store said just take it out and shoot a couple hundred rounds to break it in. What do you guys suggest?

20. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Wouldn't hurt.