Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just got my 9mm Carbine have a couple questions:
1- Does the firing pin act as the ejector? I see the twin extractors but no ejector.
2- My mag doesn't drop free, I have to pull it slightly to get it out, is that normal? Can I free it up myself with some plastic removal? Sometimes it is also a pain to get it to go in, snags on something about halfway in.

So far I really like this thing, I had to straighten the FSB to vert and then adjust the rear sight with the LASER boresighter but after that the thing shot dead on out to 50yds, tried some shots at 100 but my old eyes couldn't pick out a target from there today.

Are there ANY issues with the Bushman Pic rail?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
As far as I know the firing pin on all HP models acts as the ejector. As for the mag, you can try cleaning it really well inside and out. Maybe use a little emery cloth or really fine grain sandpaper on the outside of it. If you're extremely careful, you can maybe sand a little from the inside of the mag well.

I have heard nothing bad about the pic rail from bushman, I plan to get one of his full length ones for the ATI stock when/if I manage to get one.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on your new 995!

To answer your questions:
1-Yes, the firing pin also acts as the ejector.
2-There is no spring release to pop the mag out. Even in the manual it tells you to pull out the mag, mine is the same way. If you put a drop of oil on the mag catch, inside the mag well, it will help some with putting in & taking out the mag.
I've found that it catches if I push it in wrong(don't ask what I mean). If I do this I just push a bit on the mag release button & it slides right in. I have a similar problem with my Browning Buckmark Camper.

I also have mine sighted in at 50 yards. Old eyes just don't work well at 100 yards, do they.

I have no experience with the Bushman rail so I can't help you there.

A couple of things to remember about your 995. NEVER insert the mag with the breach open. It can bend the firing pin, I should know.
The other thing is to make sure that the firing pin catches on the sear when you cock it. If it doesn't the round being chambered will ride under the firing pin, which will stay extended forward, & bend it upward.
I got this info from the Techs at HP when I ordered my new firing pin, which I bent 3 times.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the same thing was happening to me,then it got stuck.i forced it ang broke my mag retaining pin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BIG thanks on the firing pin warning!
I will probobly fix the mag probs with either a spring or cutting out a pair of grab notches on the pistol grip ala my HK USP.
The iron sights on this gun are really great, maybee second only to my Daewoo or GSG-5. I would probably be able to hit anything I can see but I specifically got this gun for plinking turtles on our large pond ( they've been eating our ducks ) at about 75 yds. I have been using my 22 Marlin for this but I want to make a bigger hole as turtles are plenty tough and I never see them after the Marlin blows em off the log so I never know for sure if it's a fatal wound or not.
I have much larger rifles that I COULD use but a ricochet off the water is a major concern, I specifically got the 995 for it's rep on accuracy with a pistol round.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I noticed the hang up on inserting the mag first thing in the shop,i first pressed the mag release and it would go in freely.i have discovered if you push the mag in with a slight rear ward pressure it will go right in,if you try to just slap it in like a normal pistol mag more times than not it will hang up /put your hand towards the frt of the mag base as to insert it ,this will give enough rearward pressure it will slide right in and lock. mine dropps freely . ck for plastic slag or if the grip screws are too tight.--RR--

1 - 6 of 6 Posts