New Croatian VHS rifle

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Ari, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Ari

Ari Guest

made buy the same guys that make the XD

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPpqj5xedY[/ame]

2. VHS Rifle???

I bet it would hurt lie hell to get hit with a VHS tape out of an 18 inch barrel.

3. LOL, had to do something with them, no other use for them.

4. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Yeah, the Betamax rifle was actually a better rifle, but was never widely adopted.;)

5. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Cool vid.
    I wonder if those were XDs, or HS2000s...

6. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

Looks like a copy of the British SA-80 or the French FA-MAS. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flatulence..... er, flattery. :mrgreen:

7. Fenix

Fenix Guest

i'd rather have a tavor :D

8. The VHS looks similar to the French FA-MAS externally but the guts are by no means a copy of the French rifle. This new rifle is made by the same company, HS Produkt, that brough us the HS2000 aka Springfield Armory XD line of pistols.

The gas system used is really cool, has a gas operated pistol along with a secondary gas tube to provide a gas buffering system to keep the bolt from slamming into the rear of the receiver. Although its not a totally recoiless rifle it has very minimal recoil which means more rounds will be on target instead of walking skyward like most modern rifles do when fired in fully auto mode.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3000/3088.htm

9. Damn cool looking rifle. I like the bullpup/fa-mas style of it. I don't know why, but that style of rifle has always looked cool to me, don't know why.

Did you have the betamax when you were a kid Mike? Being that you brought it up, I figured you had an axe to grind about it... LOL!!!!

10. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Throw a little sand and that baby will seize up, are M-16 had some problems with the very fine powder sand in Iraq but the troops could just open the gun up and clean it out (Many of the problems came when the guns were over oiled and the oil caked the fine powdered dust stopping the action) Try opening the VHS and cleaning her out quickly, bull pup designs are a real bitch to maintenance. The second thing I don't like about that rifle is that it directs burnt gases directly into the action to preform some buffering action. What happens when the buffering stops and all that grim fails the action?

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

So what does that make the steyr aug.... the Laserdisc of rifles? (ya know, superior in every way but was just funny to use, costs 4x as much and you could never find one anywhere other than the UK and Austrialia)

12. Ari

Ari Guest

And for the record I got more velocity out of my DVC then you do out of your Betamax :wink: