Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I designed these Barrel Shroud/Brakes in a machine shop. It extends off the barrel 2 inches. At the end it is necked down from the diameter of the barrel to a 7/16th in. opening creating a kind of gas expansion chamber. It secures with 2 allen head set screws in the bottom.

The top of the chamber is then slotted and angled back to vent the gasses. I also vented the chamber so there couldnt be any confusion as to if it would be considered a silencer.

Is there any interest in buying these, and if so..... What would you guys feel is a fair price, and would I need a FFL or anything to produce them? I'm just not sure because its more than a barrel shroud....

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
No FFL needed, and lots of brakes and shrouds and compensators are in the $30 range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too sure when they'ld go on sale. My friend and I will be going out and fireing through it this weekend to test it out and tweak the design if needed.

I know plain shrouds go for about $32 on Ebay.... I think that may be a bit low for one of these but I'll have a better idea after we make some more. It took 4 hours to turn this one out, but it was alot of measuring and doublechecking.

We'll make a few more and see how long they take to make once we get the process streamlined. The materiels are pretty cheap for an Employee at a machine shop, lots of extra's laying around.... Just depends on what the value of labor is.

I'll post some pics tonight after I paint it.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
There lies the problem, I'm not sure the market will bear 4 hours or even 2 hrs of labor, good luck, you might start them out on ebay and see what the market will bear for a price point, I'm guessing it won't be over $40

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One for the OEM stock should be easy as well. I'ld just need to know the length of the barrel that the shroud would cover.

Would prob have to be alot shorter as almost all of it but a set screw would be out in front of the barrel.

Painted pic being uploaded. It looks pretty sweet once its black.

On the ammount of time they take to make:
We'll see how fast we can whip them out now that we know what we are doing.

They take more time than a standard barrel shroud because a Barrel shroud is basically just 1 chamber. The chamber being a tube with a plug in both ends.
These are basically 2 chambers. The same chamber as a barrel shroud. But then in front of the shroud the 2nd chamber overhangs the barrel to then vent the burning gasses out the top. I'll post a real crude diagram so folks know what I'm saying. It is just a quick "Paint" sketch. Machining the extra chamber at the end probably doubles the work beyond what a plain barrel shroud takes because by extending it past the end of the barrel you have to make sure everything lines up so the bullet has a clear path out of the tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures in Black:

In the frontal pic you can see how it is barely bigger than the bullet that will be comming out.

The hope is that by having the bullet enter the gas chamber befor passing out the end all the cumbustion gasses will be vented out, increasing accuracy. Much in the same way that silencers will increase a weapons accuracy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I'll post again after this weekends live-fire test, and also when we try making another so we know the approxamate time it takes to make one when we arnt brainstorming at the same time.

Thanks for the compliments. I really like its look, and being all alluminum it hardly adds any weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
AWESOME JOB GUYS. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ONE. KEEP US UPDATED AND GOOD LUCK AT THE RANGE. :cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
One for the OEM stock should be easy as well. I'ld just need to know the length of the barrel that the shroud would cover.
I can give you the answer tomorrow if nobody else beats me to it.

I'll be very interested to know what effect this has on muzzle rise, as this seems to be the goal of your design. Please keep us posted on the shooting results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would love to have one for the standard factory stock as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The black one is beautiful! Silver a little to bright and large looking. Probably the same size just looks larger.
Same shroud, just befor and after paint. Was in a hurry to get pics up right after we finished it.

Will be hitting the range Saturday and Sunday, Will post AAR after then.

As far as the OEM stock:

Do you guys think that we should make it wrap back arounf the front sight? So little of the barrel in in front of the front sight it would prob be really short..... Make it so the front sight kind of sticks up out of the shroud.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
The black one is beautiful! Silver a little to bright and large looking. Probably the same size just looks larger.
Same shroud, just befor and after paint. Was in a hurry to get pics up right after we finished it.

Will be hitting the range Saturday and Sunday, Will post AAR after then.

As far as the OEM stock:

Do you guys think that we should make it wrap back arounf the front sight? So little of the barrel in in front of the front sight it would prob be really short..... Make it so the front sight kind of sticks up out of the shroud.
Sounds good for the OEM. How about a rail on the bottom cut in ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts