Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading this post below about weights and balance ..I tended to agree
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,15580.0.html

Well, by trade I am a mason, in school I majored in art for 4 yeas blah blah ect ect..and have been know to be Macgyvers odd cousin and for about two years ran my own custom carbon fiber parts biz...so I got to thinking..wood is being perfected by members already so what about some nice carbon fiber grips :p But decided naww not right now...though...I always loved pearl handled grips so I got to thinking what would give me a similar result and give me something not too hard to do :)...

So I settled on soapstone grips :p I grabbed a rather large piece below and started ..then stopped lol...I though the piece was not the grade I was looking for....so I went and got some better grade that was more for sculpting :)

I accessed the grips detail needed both inside and out and it is very feasible for me to do with some of the experience i have and all by hand tooling, no dremels . I do understand the impacts and pressures they may see and have thought ahead about that also and have a solution to remedy it ;) ...so wish me luck on my poor mans jade colored polished grips :) I am starting tonight and should have them done by Monday'ish :p

I wish I could take better pics to really show the awesome color these have in person but they will gleam when I am finished :)

]

this one below is the block I scrapped..just was not a decent grade to work with

·
Registered
586 Posts
yeah! I'd love to see those when they're done.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
:brow: :brow: :brow:
Now we can actually tell everyone that Hi-Point has STONES!!! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Won't those be incredibly heavy? My experience with solid surface materials has always been that they are extremely heavy.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Wow! That looks awesome! I don't know anything about the material you're using so I will ask a couple of stupid questions: Is that stone a little brittle? Will you be able to tighten the screws enough to keep it from cracking? :embarrassed2:

You are quite the artist - you've even included the finger grooves. That's just plain cool!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and the other side complete :)

To answer the Villa Questions ..I have a few tricks up my sleeve for the other side to maintain them from cracking as well as an entirely different screw to hold them firmly in place accompanied with a 1mm rubber washer :)

And just a side note ..lol it is officially Balanced now lmao

That material in not brittle...it is soft though which is why I chose it... it will flex before breaking. I will not get to the hardware I am adding for mounting until maybe Monday to allow some drying time to what I applied to the backside as an edge gasket :p.

lol and for some artistic flair...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh, I saw that on The Firing Line, and posted it in the Pistols section, before I saw this.

Very nice! You're a brave man to post something about an HP on The Firing Line! They're merciless over there! But the grips look great!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dude thats sweet !!!!!! I do granite and and have been wanting to cut out some grips on my waterjet but just havent had any time. I was thinking aobut using Crema bordeaux or Jup. florence. Dude those look sweet !!!!!

·
Banned
401 Posts
I can't help but think, that this is kind of like putting 24's on a pinto.
Bob Glidden put 24's on a pinto and won three national championships, go figure....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dammit! I've been offline all week and thinking about doing pearl grips or at least painting pearl grips. It was the one thing I hadn't seen yet. ...yet..... Now I have. They look great! I'm jealous. I would love to have a pair of grips in pearl. I'm not so skilled in the way of stoneworking though and don't know anyone who is. I will be planning on painting mine with automotive paint to try to accomplish the look, hopefully soon. Great job though.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Wow! Those are fantastic. Great presentation grips. I would not risk shooting with them after all that work. They might crack on you. How many hours have you got vested in those.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vintage- Thank you .. don't let me deter you lol...granite would be hot :)

Super_Virgil- I held off on putting the spinners on :p

javelina80- naww people would be better off being creative and making their own :p I think it was mentioned by someone else also that to sell them the price would have to equal out the time involved..and at least for me, I have no way to mass produce them to save time. THOUGH...I would be happy to trade sets for things I may need that someone may have they do not need :)

noname hell yeah brother..paint a set up ...:) they will weigh about 7/8th less then these do lol

magnut I agree on the presentation grips aspect. Though I did make them range able :) Hrmm how many hours ..I started them Friday night around 6pm and had the second side done this afternoon. I did sleep some though :)

And everyone else Thank you very much for the compliments ..:)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just need to engrave Stone Cold on the slide now and you're set. Oh, and maybe have that ouc engraved into the grip.

Really nice work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.