Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I no longer have a reloading room, or equipment, thanks to the ex I guess these get their own thread.

I have been using a set of Pittsburgh 6" Digital Calipers from Harbor Freight for 8 or 9 years now? Ever since y'all got me in to reloading, basically. Well they started screwing up. Not measuring properly and just slipping, I guess you could say. So I was complaining about them to a buddy of mine and this morning these showed up in an Amazon box...
Wood Communication Device Gas Measuring instrument Font

They're carbon fiber and I kinda like the look of them. There's no thumb wheel like on other calipers, but the thumb grip nubby thing actually feels better than the thumb wheel on my other ones. I guess I'll give them a shot since they were free. I looked them up an Amazon and the metal version of these run between $30-$50 but this particular set are $15. Pretty solid reviews with the caveat that they're not professional grade tools, which...duh.
Measuring instrument Rectangle Temperature Health care Gadget

Rectangle Font Wood Signage Electric blue
Wood Temperature Bicycle part Measuring instrument Rectangle
Wood Font Number Signage Nameplate

My buddy moved up to the Denver Metro area to work for Amazon's Marketing department. He's not answering my messages, so I imagine he's sitting there all smarmy and shit right now...jerk.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,071 Posts
I check mine pretty regularly about yearly. I've got gauge blocks and use feeler gauges. My older calipers that are not digital generally never go bad unless they get bent. Digital can get out of wack obviously more easily. But I prefer them. Old eyes and all. Price difference does not matter either. If they work they work. Its not like we are reloaders go past .0000. I don't even go past that on airplane parts.
Your news ones look good.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Let us know how they work, Rach. For $15 I'd grab a pair just to have a back up - IF they work well.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They're spot on so far...

Edit: but I'm not liking the fact that they're only +/- .01. Something about having that +/- .001 feels more reliable.

I might try taking my Pittsburghs apart and cleaning the sensor...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I bought a Mitutoyo caliper last year and it’s been very good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I actually prefer dial calipers. My reloading calipers are dial but, we use Mitutoyo digital at work. They calibrate them every 2 weeks.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,591 Posts
Sears dial calipers here, I don't think they ever quit working, but I had to check them often and recalibrate. Cheap, plastic, but worked well on my automotive mods. Considering that stuff is a lot more dirty, I think they held up great. Got a cheap metal digital later, might have been HF, no problems there either.

U just better get the .001 ASAP, @Rachgier cuz ur OCD will make you eventually anyway

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I have a steel dial caliper as well and check my digitals with it from time to time.

·
Registered
Hi-Point 995
8 Posts
Just make sure that the important parts are metal, some of the ultra cheap verniers use plastic instead. I have had several pairs for years and they are the bomb. While building jet engines we used manual verniers A LOT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts