Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up 3 yards of HyperStealth's SPEC4CE Forest pattern in nylon/cotton ripstop fabric from Magna Fabric's Amazon store... here are some options I am thinking...
1. Anorak that actually fits me with insulation layers
2. Cold weather combat shirt; uses fleece or polypropylene for torso, and this fabric for arms/shoulders
3. Hot weather combat shirt; wicking T shirt but same arms/shoulders.
2 and 3 would use less fabrics.. and I can get 1000D Cordura in same camo pattern from Rockywoods for a chest rig/plate carrier.
20201213_204601.jpg

Fabric with woodland backpack

unnamed.jpg

Afghan National Army in same pattern
2592f.png

Truspec's winter combat shirt with waffle fleece
41N7erf0puL._AC_.jpg

Plain 1/4 zip combat shirt for hot weather

·
Banned
453 Posts
Neat pattern. Would look cool for BDU shorts.

I say get some more and try making a hang glider. Material might be too heavy though. Have to do some testing.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neat pattern. Would look cool for BDU shorts.

I say get some more and try making a hang glider. Material might be too heavy though. Have to do some testing.

Material is definitely too heavy for hang gliding fabric LOL. One would do better with 1.1oz Ripstop [30D], or lighter... which could be had from Paragear or Ripstop By The Roll; most of their fabrics are for ultralightweight tarps/hammock shelters and the like..

·
Banned
453 Posts
Material is definitely too heavy for hang gliding fabric LOL. One would do better with 1.1oz Ripstop [30D], or lighter... which could be had from Paragear or Ripstop By The Roll; most of their fabrics are for ultralightweight tarps/hammock shelters and the like..
Ha... we need to start a game where folks here try to stump you on fabric material. I feel like I am speaking with a jeopardy champion sometimes.

Maybe a sleeping bag/shooting mat hybrid that had a flip cover for concealment. That pattern would be practically make you invisible where I am at.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe a sleeping bag/shooting mat hybrid that had a flip cover for concealment. That pattern would be practically make you invisible where I am at.
A sort of bivy sack cover/basha/concealment tarp? That might be interesting... hm. Maybe I oughta hit up Magna Fabrics and see what the freight ship cost is for one roll of the DWR fabric in that pattern.. edit. Okay. The listed price of the DWR 50% nylon 50% cotton sateen twill (very similar if not identical fabric to whats used on M65 Field Jacket and M65 Parkas); $0.99 a yard, but smallest roll is 32 yards. Thats $31.68 before shipment. According to their calculator at checkout, cheapest is UPS ground at $73.something for a total order cost of $105.54 for 32 yards roll.. that works out to about $3.50 a yard... hrm. I suppose if I could make a whole lot of things, I would be able to recoup the money invested in it, although I am not usually a clothing maker; so there's that. I also have a very small apartment shared with wife and child, so storage of the roll would be interesting to say the least :rolleyes: they do also have Guyana Defense Force tigerstripe based camo fabric listed at $0.75 a yard, smallest roll 66 yards, but that stuff is really wonky looking..

·
Banned
453 Posts
A sort of bivy sack cover/basha/concealment tarp? That might be interesting... hm. Maybe I oughta hit up Magna Fabrics and see what the freight ship cost is for one roll of the DWR fabric in that pattern.. edit. Okay. The listed price of the DWR 50% nylon 50% cotton sateen twill (very similar if not identical fabric to whats used on M65 Field Jacket and M65 Parkas); $0.99 a yard, but smallest roll is 32 yards. Thats $31.68 before shipment. According to their calculator at checkout, cheapest is UPS ground at $73.something for a total order cost of $105.54 for 32 yards roll.. that works out to about $3.50 a yard... hrm. I suppose if I could make a whole lot of things, I would be able to recoup the money invested in it, although I am not usually a clothing maker; so there's that. I also have a very small apartment shared with wife and child, so storage of the roll would be interesting to say the least :rolleyes: they do also have Guyana Defense Force tigerstripe based camo fabric listed at $0.75 a yard, smallest roll 66 yards, but that stuff is really wonky looking..
Just throwing ideas around. The glider thing was a joke of course. I was trying to think of something useful and crossfunctional and thats the first thing that popped in my head with the excellent pattern it has.... concealment.

BDU shorts just look good in different camos. Plus they help in hiding printing from CCW purposes for things like deep concealment type carry. I wont not tuck my shirts in so I use things like tuckable holsters and kangaroo carry in the warmer times of the year. Camo patterns hide any bulging better than flat one color options. Hides stains better as well.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I ordered a woodland camo anorak off Ebay in "Size 3XL" for a pattern to base the digital camo anorak idea on.. This is how it looks on me :rolleyes: its shaped as if they based it on a Med sized "skinny male body shape" with zero belly, zero upper muscle mass, and scaled up to an approximate size.. a proper Anorak is supposed to be oversize to fit over layers of insulation; this thing is way too tight on the belly, and on the back shoulders, and when I lift arms, the underarms are too tight/pulling against the chest. Its not usable for a pattern to fit me. I'd need to do a completely custom pattern out of large sheets of paper for testing fitment with something else
20201213_202610.jpg

As a contrast. Heres me wearing an USGI M65 Parka with liner in Size Medium. Its a little snug on the belly but thats not a surprise considering the size.. and I normally wear 3XLT shirts, some jackets 2XL fits me...
20201214_112534.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
453 Posts
Dont get to upset. I only one particular brand of BDU shorts because it seems like every company sizes differently. And even them.... same size....same model of clothing..same company......fit is all over the place. Seems quality control problems are everywhere....in every industry.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to be able to acquire the BDU sewing patterns for both top and bottoms, and see just how they're supposed to be put together.. also M65 parkas and field jackets if possible, as I loathe buying new clothes for myself. Combat shirts might be easiest to do, just make sleeves/shoulder pieces then attach pockets and then attach to normal T shirts or to cut up fleece/polypro tops if I find stuff that fits me.

·
Banned
453 Posts
I'd like to be able to acquire the BDU sewing patterns for both top and bottoms, and see just how they're supposed to be put together.. also M65 parkas and field jackets if possible, as I loathe buying new clothes for myself. Combat shirts might be easiest to do, just make sleeves/shoulder pieces then attach pockets and then attach to normal T shirts or to cut up fleece/polypro tops if I find stuff that fits me.
If you have the skill and the equipment thats the best way to go. I cannot even buy shorts anymore above the knee. Even the BDU shorts I have to shorten. It gets to the point where you do so much modifying clothes you might as well just make them.

Then you have jeans.... Oh Lord.... Boot cut jeans are going the way of the donosaur. I am starting to think that skinny jeans were created to make concealment impossible. You sure cannot conceal an ankle holster very well with them. I tried a pair on once and it was comical to say the least. It was like Cowboy Peter Pan. HaHa!

If I were you I would just go to good will and find something that fits right. The tear it apart and base your pattern off that. It doesnt really matter if you construct it like one of the popular BDU manufacturers. You will probably have a better way with the experience you have. The material is all that really matters. A lot of these BDU clothes are not constructed all that great anyways.

It also give you the benefit of changing the specs for your needs. IE... deeper pockets for pocket holsters, hidden internal pockets for money... or whatever you need to hide....quick release pockets for faster access to items instead of buttons etc. etc. Possibilities are endless. Thats the beautty of making your own gear or clothing. You can make it work exactly as you want...... not mass produced products aimed at broad groups of people.

I dont have your skills or equipment so I have to scrounge and modify. If I did I would go from scratch. All the holsters and rigs I made for my stuff I just figured it out by tearing stuff apart and sewing by hand. Takes forever but lasts forever.

This first pictures of gear I saw you post I could tellright away its top notch. A lot of this material is not easy to work with when you get into multiple lawyers. Its strong stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Dont get to upset. I only one particular brand of BDU shorts because it seems like every company sizes differently. And even them.... same size....same model of clothing..same company......fit is all over the place. Seems quality control problems are everywhere....in every industry.
I have the same problem with jeans. One pair is a little loose, one fits great and a third is "snug" - but all the same brand and marked the same size. If I had CD's skill, I think I'd make my own. Wife used to make a lot of my clothes until her vision started going

Reactions: magnut

·
Banned
453 Posts
Yeah, I ordered a woodland camo anorak off Ebay in "Size 3XL" for a pattern to base the digital camo anorak idea on.. This is how it looks on me :rolleyes: its shaped as if they based it on a Med sized "skinny male body shape" with zero belly, zero upper muscle mass, and scaled up to an approximate size.. a proper Anorak is supposed to be oversize to fit over layers of insulation; this thing is way too tight on the belly, and on the back shoulders, and when I lift arms, the underarms are too tight/pulling against the chest. Its not usable for a pattern to fit me. I'd need to do a completely custom pattern out of large sheets of paper for testing fitment with something else View attachment 69535

As a contrast. Heres me wearing an USGI M65 Parka with liner in Size Medium. Its a little snug on the belly but thats not a surprise considering the size.. and I normally wear 3XLT shirts, some jackets 2XL fits me... View attachment 69537
hey Camo, I was thinking again....uh oh.....if you are stuck with that anorak with you skills maybe you could modify it by cutting it up the back and doing an extension. You could even set the extension up to have storage. maybe even a scabord for a "tool". That would release the tension on your shoulders and let the sleeves come down a bit lower.... Also give you room around the chest. I did this on a fleece in reverse once to make it smaller.... I sliced it and removed maybe 3 or 4 inches. Its a favorite of mine now for running because I got the fit right for my body. anyways.. as clean as your stitching is it would probably look factory.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
3 things.

A. That's gonna have to be a big ass hang glider to keep us big guys in the air.

B. I would prefer a bright, noticeable color glider for when I crash... not something that will blend in.

C. There's no shortage of boot cut jeans out here in CO or down in Texas.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Ha! Just dont crash! I hear ya though. Pretty gutsy guys. Where I am at there is Tractor Supply for boot cut jeans (I have always worn cowboy boots or sneakers). Best I can do anywhere else is straight leg. I guess I could try and find a western store somewhere but they are a little too hip$ter for me.

positive side is that jeans last for so long I dont have to buy them all that much so thats good.

·
Administrator
24,598 Posts
Ha! Just dont crash! I hear ya though. Pretty gutsy guys. Where I am at there is Tractor Supply for boot cut jeans (I have always worn cowboy boots or sneakers). Best I can do anywhere else is straight leg. I guess I could try and find a western store somewhere but they are a little too hip$ter for me.

positive side is that jeans last for so long I dont have to buy them all that much so thats good.
I tear through jeans working on cars and construction projects.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love thrift stores, especially the little ones thats kind of out of the way of ordinary traffic. Just picked up a M65 in black, in XXXL-Regular, made by Atlanco of GA, the same that became Tru-Spec. Only $15 for it, no liner though but its way bigger and loose on me, so it probably now is gonna be my main coat. I've the same pair of BDU heavyweight/winter weight nyco twill (nylon/cotton) pants in black since 1998ish in 2XL I think, its still way too big for my legs but pretty comfortable. Its never ripped, and has been a constant companion in my camp bags. Can't rightly remember who made it, the green tags are worn out.

·
Banned
453 Posts
I love thrift stores, especially the little ones thats kind of out of the way of ordinary traffic. Just picked up a M65 in black, in XXXL-Regular, made by Atlanco of GA, the same that became Tru-Spec. Only $15 for it, no liner though but its way bigger and loose on me, so it probably now is gonna be my main coat. I've the same pair of BDU heavyweight/winter weight nyco twill (nylon/cotton) pants in black since 1998ish in 2XL I think, its still way too big for my legs but pretty comfortable. Its never ripped, and has been a constant companion in my camp bags. Can't rightly remember who made it, the green tags are worn out.
I wear the propper bdu shorts in the summer for pretty much everything....work... sports etc. I found that brand fit me best and just bought 15 pairs. I need to take a pair this spring and sew on some leather for abrasion protection. I might try some of that fabric you tipped me off on (hasnt showed up yet). Maybe sew in some pockets for padding.

Yeah.. thrift stores are great. Good way to find bases for projects. You really never know what your going to find. I have to save money where I can.... working on firearms is not cheap! I wont buy crap food for our house but I will buy used clothing if I have to. Most of the time I am in there for old tech stuff. We still watch videotapes and listen to cassettes... even records. Our house is a throwback to the 80s/90s (this was deliberate). Our phone (just one) has a cord. thrift shops are great for us. my kids love them as their allowance money goes a lot further. Plus you are not giving money to China.

BDU stuff is great durability wise. When I was in we put our BDUs through hell and they always held up..... for years. That pattern of fabric you have in the first post is one of the best patterns I have seen. Even the ruck you have in front of it would disapear at short range distances. A full bdu outfit and hood would make you extremely hard to spot in the woods. Thats why I was thinking the whole dual purpose sleeping bag/shooters matt thingy. You could do almost anything with it.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
According to the Fishtail Parka UK website, the parka (and probably true for anoraks) need to be 6-8 inches larger than the actual chest (or waist) measurements, whichever is bigger (I added waist because thats pretty much where the problems starts). So for a roughly 56 inch girth measurement, the parka should be 62 to 64 inches girth. The woodland anorak measures 54 inches around at the widest part. Yes my belly can squeeze into 54 inches girth, but it moves guts right up into chest and back. Estimating 64 inches to be comfortably oversize, thats roughly 5 frigging inches per side. With 2 panels, that can be adjusted to 2 inches per side on the back, and 3 inches per side on the front, keeping in mind most of the girth is in front. Not sure if I'd keep a sloped shoulder, or go for the ability to do a full 90 degree T shape, which means it could be made almost like a poncho... no upper shoulder seams, only a hood and L seams on the sides.

Edit 2. If I were to base a new pair of pants on my large black BDUs, I probably would put 1,000D Cordura in the same camo on the portions that goes from ankle to knees,sort of like shin/knee sections for extreme durability relative to primary fabric, and similar on sleeves for either combat shirt or anorak sleeves for elbows to wrists. Not a fan of BDU type cargo pockets, and likely no back pockets, I never use those 4 pockets. Probably going to put 2 very large pockets in normal locations.

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
Full zip windbreaker. Anoraks are nifty, but zippered shells are more useful and more adjustable for temp and venting, IMHO.

Leftover bits can be used to build that thermal 1/4 zip T or breathable summer weight unit.

If there’s a seam under the arm and down to the waist on the existing gear, that’s a place to add girth to a tight fit top, with a gusset to make the sleeve still fit. Or just make a new pair of seams there.

Sizes are a joke. I have jackets that are 2x that fit, and some that are 2x and can’t even be zipped, some 3x shirts are great, some aren’t. You just never know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts