New found AR respect

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Nov 28, 2014.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So the only experience I've had with ARs is my son's CMT-15. From the moment I first picked it up to shoot it I hated the damn thing. Cheap plasticy toy like feel. Sounds like it's powered by a pogo-stick spring. Could probably break it in half over my knee. Pure garbage IMO. Sad to say it soured me on ARs. Well today he stopped by with his latest acquisition. He opened the box and pulled out, you guessed it, another freakin' AR. Oh yippie! Then he handed it to me. A Smith & Wesson M&P 15 - 5.56mm. Holy Sheet! Now this is a proper rifle. Not some lead flinging toy. Steel construction through out. Just holding it felt badd-ass. Seriously looking forward to shooting it. I'll reserved my decision on if I want one or not till then.

He also put a down payment on a Springfield M1-A1. My little boy's all grown up. I'm such a proud daddy.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My son got me into ARs as well. Glad he did!
    M&Ps ROCK!!!

3. Back2School

Back2School Member

Comon guys, you are making me second guess my choice in getting the Windham Weaponry instead of waiting to get the M&P!

Joking somewhat. I know they are very equivalent, but it feels weird buying an "off brand" even if I know the history.

And yes I love my HPs, may just take some time for the WW to grow on me.

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    My "backwoods gunsmith" buddy likes the WW, says it has good value for the money, etc. He's familiar with their stuff, and it's made in Maine, which is where he's from. A real MAINE-iac :D

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Aha, there's what was going on...:p

See, the black rifle isn't so bad. Glad you got to revisit the platform and get a better idea of their reality.

WW isn't an off brand, it's the "REAL" Bushmaster, not the Remarlingtonaster that carries the Bushmaster name now.

It will be great.:)

6. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

@ Cic,

You should try my AR180, all stamped steel , looks like an AR but feels like an AK kinda thing......
    You're welcome to shoot it if you ever get your lazy @ss to my AO.....

8. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Don't second guess that WW! I have nothing at all against the M&P, but for the last two years my WW has been serving me well, including in multigun competition. Never once jammed. And the history is serious - like Ajole, said, this is the real "Bushmaster."

9. Back2School

Back2School Member

Yeah, I read how good the WWs were, it's why I bought it. Everything was cool till I saw the barrel was kinda grey and didn't match. Otherwise I love it.

Sorry for the detail, after getting my AR, I see why everyone loves them. Newfound respect as well for me

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's just the zinc parkerizing. If you want it blacker, wipe it down with (or soak it in) oil. Motor oil works, break free does too reportedly.;)

You could also use grease, or with some SERIOUS prep including scrubbing and degreasing, you can use cold blue.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Whatever, BScar, whatever... :rolleyes:

MAINE-iac, his words, not mine!

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I like the Black Forge and it has a better warranty then Bushmaster. I emailed BF and they sent me a parts kit and a bunch of other stuff (free). Did the same to Bushmaster and they replied if its broke you can buy a parts kit or send it in. My son has the BM I sent back to them that its the last one I will buy ever.

13. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

suuuuuuuuuure. :p

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    :D

What? ya don't believe me?

15. moona11

Mole :p

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well yeah. Bushmaster is just a part of a big machine now that they are part of the Freedom Group's holdings. I have a pre sell out Bushy, it's a great gun.

Fortunately, the guy that owned Bushmaster back when it was actually good, is now making high quality guns under the Windham name. So if you want a gun made by bean counters in a money making conglomerate, you get a Bushmaster or a Remington. If you want one with the old Bushmaster quality, you buy a Windham.;).

So far the don't seem to have killed Marlin...but they tried.:(

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    DratZ! You've discovered my Invisible Ink!

Darn you, M00nZy!

18. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Lol he finds my stuff too!

19. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

He finds my stuff too

20. moona11

My spy is still in play. :p
    Black Forge makes a good combat AR haven't tried their hunting versions. But most of the parts from most company's use the same just stamp their name on it. I may alter my foreign weapons. But I keep my AR's black.