Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me like! 20 gauge pro 920 tactical. A bit pricey though.

Asphalt Automotive exterior Flooring Darkness Bumper

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,912 Posts
Me like! 20 gauge pro 920 tactical. A bit pricey though.

View attachment 75771
12 gauge only. I still have a few 20 gauge H&Rs but only a few cases of various loads for hunting and SD. I don't think I have any trap loads for them.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,912 Posts
20 gauge and semi auto. Wonder if it’s ammo picky?
I have a couple of those Turkish semi autos. FRN or something in 12ga. It was recommended to shot a numerous boxes of trap to break it in for lower recoil rds. It worked. Started out with a ton of jams and slowly worked it out. It never jammed with 00 buck.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
I have a couple of those Turkish semi autos. FRN or something in 12ga. It was recommended to shot a numerous boxes of trap to break it in for lower recoil rds. It worked. Started out with a ton of jams and slowly worked it out. It never jammed with 00 buck.
Side note, is it possible to do a partial break-in on a semi-auto shotty similar to a handgun, when one locks the slide back for a week or two? Basically making the recoil spring "set"?

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
Side note, is it possible to do a partial break-in on a semi-auto shotty similar to a handgun, when one locks the slide back for a week or two? Basically making the recoil spring "set"?
I would hope the spring is better than that.

It should take “work” to do that, being repeatedly cycled through its range, not just one compression and then wait a week. Not to mention the bearing surfaces getting polished, seals getting “sealed”, etc.

Nope….I’m thinking it needs shoot a few wads with multiple insertions and extractions, not just be given a hand job.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,912 Posts
No no and no

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,665 Posts
I would hope the spring is better than that.
Every spring ever made has a break in period... they are all basically made "too strong"
until they take a "heat set" or run so many cycles. The handgun "lockback method" is
simply a hack that works most times. I'm doing this on the VR60 even though I am
following all the mfg's recommendations, which were 150 to 250 rounds of birdshot.
I've mixed in 2 rounds of full power 00Buck and both of those were fine, but the
recoil was much heavier too (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
Every spring ever made has a break in period... they are all basically made "too strong"
until they take a "heat set" or run so many cycles. The handgun "lockback method" is
simply a hack that works most times. I'm doing this on the VR60 even though I am
following all the mfg's recommendations, which were 150 to 250 rounds of birdshot.
I've mixed in 2 rounds of full power 00Buck and both of those were fine, but the
recoil was much heavier too (y) (y) (y)
The lock back method is neither of the two things you mentioned. It’s not heat, and it’s not multiple cycles.

It works on mags because they are generally weaker and less likely to be as well treated or tempered.

But if it works on your recoil spring in only a week or two of sitting around…that recoil spring fills me with zero confidence in regards to its longevity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts