Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And this time, it's the Plinkster 702 .22LR!!!

(complete with required toes)

I was thinking about the 10/22, but I have to actually SEE if I take to shooting .22 first. I might not like it...you never know. Purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods in Mesa, AZ. Even have the guy who sold it to me interested in joining us for the AZ Meet n' Shoot! Brand new in box for $129, and looks good. I know that EVERYONE insists that the Ruger is the only .22 to get, but at half the price I think it was the best semi-auto out there for the money. Will make it's debut at the shoot next weekend.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
nice choice there neo. i heard the mossber plinkster is a sweet shooting .22lr rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
cool, have fun w/that Neo!

I'm not sure the toes count when they're covered by clean socks instead of gnarly hair :thinking:.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm interested in one for my daughter so keep me posted on how it works! Locally they're going for the same price. X

·
Registered
927 Posts
i thinks me wants one of those to add to the collection.

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
I bought one for the son last year for his Christmas present. I made him learn to shoot it with the iron sights before I let him put the scope on it! He's quite good with it and can hit what he aims at within an inch and does it consistently! If you haven't already done so, go back and grab extra magazines for $10 each!

Scope is also a Wal-Mart item. It's the BSA 22 4x32 (w/rings) for $27.

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
The 10/22 is (just like the Remington 870) the Chevy 350 of the .22 semi-auto rifle world. So many aftermarket goodies to make just about whatever you can think of! Here we can still get them for $180 at the Bi-Mart!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put a comment on Beeg Boy's .22 Rifle post this AM because he mentions considering a Plinkster, but again...I picked up an 802 Thumbhole / Tip-Down last week. I agree Neo, the Mossy is a good value. I've been thinking about getting a bolt .22 for some time now and it just kept coming back to the Plinkster. 1st time out this past weekend I only put 100 rounds through it as it was 5 - 10 rounds / clean, repeat but it cycled fine with the 5 different .22's I tried, seems like it's a straight shooter. I think you'll like the .22, just set up some targets and have some fun. If you get carried away you don't have to worry about finding / getting some more ammo later on, just pick up another 500 round box or two next time your in Dick's.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have 2 bolt action .22's already, but I really want a semi-auto or a lever action .22. That one is on the "maybe" list!! I also want another .22 pistol. errrr... too many guns, not enuff cash!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have read that the internals are "Marlin-esque". What kind of bolt buffer does it use?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The buffer is this floating polymer wedge behind the bolt, secured by the trigger group. To be honest, I was expecting alot more complex construction. seems well built, and I will find out how well it shoots this weekend.

As far as the aftermarket, I am seeing alot more buzz on the net about the 702 ever since the stupid panic buyers screwed up the market. The fact that they are selling this rifle nearly 100 bucks below the Ruger is really getting these out the door. The clerk at Dick's in Mesa said that it's become the most popular rifle in sales along with the 10/22. I think with the low cost and Mossberg name, you will start to see some aftermarket options soon if ammo keeps going up like this.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I know i am asking a lot of questions here, but does the receiver feel and look to be the same material as the Marlin? How do you think this rifle will hold up for 5k rds. or 10krds.?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know i am asking a lot of questions here, but does the receiver feel and look to be the same material as the Marlin? How do you think this rifle will hold up for 5k rds. or 10krds.?
To be honest I do not know. I have never fired a .22 rifle before (believe it or not), and this is my first one. I imagine it is sturdy enough, but I won't know what it's sturdy for until I get some range time with it.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
To be honest I do not know. I have never fired a .22 rifle before (believe it or not), and this is my first one. I imagine it is sturdy enough, but I won't know what it's sturdy for until I get some range time with it.
Hey Broom! If you want to keep the cost close to $100 but want true reliability and longevity, it is hard to beat the Marlin 60. I know I was keen on the detachable mag but the tube fed Marlin with the additional purchase of a tube feeder makes the Marlin hard to beat. The Tube feeder can be had for $20 and holds 75 rounds easily and quickly loaded into the tube mag 15 at a time. Talk about accurate... I can make a golfball dance around at 100 yards with bulk ammo from Wally World. jm$.02 Bulldog

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Yeah, i know! I have a '80 vintage mod 60. Love it! but i want something my kids can shoot, and shoot, and shoot, without spending the money on a Ruger, and MArlin 60s are getting more expensive. What about the Marlin 995?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts