New guns as an investment

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by monsterdawg, Aug 15, 2015.

1. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I am thinking about buying brand new guns to keep NIB as an investment to sell later. Anyone doing this? Is it an idea worth considering in your opinion?

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

It all depends what gun you buy & how much you have to pay for it?
    Hi Points may not be the gun to start with?

3. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Looking at articles online, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Buying old collectibles is a different story.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

With so many new models constantly coming out, unless you find the futures "rarity" you're wasting time and money. Collector guns might hold value, but nothing modern unless extremely low production units are going to be a real investment.

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Guns will generally hold their value, but unless it becomes desirable for one reason or another, they generally do not increase in value.

Think of them in terms of gold. Back in the Roman days, an ounce of gold would buy you three togas, today that same ounce of gold will buy you three suits.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Unless you buy guns that turn into collectibles.
    The Colt King Cobra comes to mind.
    I wouldn't waste the money on stocking up on plastic guns though.
    If anything assault rifles may be the ticket.
    Buy at $600 sell at $1800 at the 2016 gun grab.
    Honestly I had a tin foil moment when I bought my AK.
    Always wanted one and didn't want to wait for the prices to go up if HC gets elected.
    Don't know what DT's stand on guns is either.
    I'll need one or two more steel mags and I'm good.
    The Saiga's went for stupid prices also.
    Had another (not so) bright idea for you: stock up on 80% lowers.
    May be a good ( underground) market when the next assault weapons ban hits.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    In reality, I have already done this, by chance.
    I bought 2 each of the HP Pistols.
    Sold 2 C9's and a JHP, all at a small profit.
    Sold a JCP at a small loss, as a favor to a buddy who
    got me a killer deal on a used CCW gun. ;)
    I could have prolly sold it for the same as the JHP
    if I would have waited.

8. abyssinmeoff

abyssinmeoff Member

I am currently utilizing my purchases not so much as an investment, but more as a money place-holder. If I'm going to spend money, why not put it towards something that holds value reasonably well and serves as a potential tool? It's also a hell of a lot of fun to buy a new gun.

9. Grant

Grant Member

I wish I would have bought every SKS I saw 2 years ago. :mad:

10. Any invest comes down to the timing in the selling and guns are the same. Even with collectibles guns.

I have 3 real areas of interest in gun collecting, as opposed to just having a bunch of guns. One is early cartridge breach loaders. As there were many coming out during the Civil War, they are of interest to me.

When I 1st seriously checked the prices of them in the late 90's, they all were very expensive and I bought early European mil surplus instead. In 2009 Civil War breach loader were about 1/4 to 1/5 the price of what they had in 1999. As an investment, buying in 1999 for $5000 and selling in 2009 for $1000-1200 would have been a bad investment. Even how they about 1/2 the price of what they were in 1999 and there are now always showing up at gun shows.

11. You might be right about the assault rifles as AR15 parts kits are now down to $400 again. Add a lower and it's only $440.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Some complete ARs in the high $400 range now...

Per, I may take my spare parts and build another AR.
    I need a good BCG for the MSR, and then I will use the standard Mil-spec BCG
    for the pieced together AR (it went with that old upper anyway)... I just need a
    lower and LPK, and that is all. Seems like you would know of cheaper but GOOD
    parts. Any suggestions? :cool: TIA!

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    These historic type firearms will NOT sell during a Gun Scare, just saying that for the OP and the peanut gallery. I'm sure you knew that, Perotter :D The still lower prices now are a result of being between gun scares, IMO

14. SWAGA

I've been burned a couple of times so I'll only but a gun if I know for sure I'll be able to sell it for what I paid for it or more.
    Every gun I have right now I can sell for $50-$500 profit apart from the JHP.
    That one is still $100 lol

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Most guns hold their value but few increase in value. One may get more money in 10 yrs than what they paid today, but the money in 10 yrs will be worth less than it is today. So, it's kinda an iffy. Have to really know what you are doing to come out a head. One type of firearm not to invest in, is these centennial or special edition firearms. They are like a new car, as soon as you take it home you have lost money, open the box and take it out, lose more money, shoot it, and it aint worth didley squat. Buy them because you like them, not for an investment.

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Yep! A $300 original Russian then, is now more like $600 to $1000 for the real originals.
    I started buying all Nationalities SKS in 1988 and had near 40 at one time. Sold all but I think 5 in the last two years.
    Profitable collection to have. Hard to start now, prices fairly well peaked early this year.

18. SWAGA

I've got an Albanian SKS that I can sell for $150 more then I paid for it. At least

19. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Depending on the year made and condition, going $450 to $650 and more. In CA., about $600 for a beater lately they tell me.
    If a guy has the rarer years and excellent condition, plus a collector wanting to by it, $800 can be seen. One of the best SKS
    types to own. Few in number were imported. You bought the right one to own!

20. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Buy new or nice used guns at the right price, and you can usually match the real inflation rate over time. It's not a get rich quick deal, but way better than sitting on depreciating FRNs.