New guy from SC

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by RustyJ25, Aug 9, 2015.

1. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Hey everyone I am new to handguns and after 6 months of reading, watching every YouTube video, and talking to folks who own handguns I purchased my first HP 9mm. One week later a friend from work wanted to sell his HP 380acp. He had only shot 25 rounds through it. Came with holster and 2 mags so I gave him $75 for it. Now in less than two weeks I went from no handguns to two HP's. Have shot about 200 rounds through each at the range and both are great! No ftf no ftf everything worked great. Found this sight and am excited to be learning so much about the HP's. So far these guns seem to be a great starting point for someone new to handguns. I think it is a solid work horse of a gun and a pleasure to shoot. If anyone from SC finds this I would love to hear from other HP owners in state. Thanks for listening to a proud new owner.

2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Next you will want a carbine also. :)

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum Rusty.
    .45 JHP Owner myself.
    Lot of knowledge here on almost anything you can come up with so make sure you check in with use before you do something :D

4. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Thanks SWAGA will do. Looking at grips and a good inside the waistband holster for the 9mm. I like a few of the grips on HP web site just not sure of the holster. 9 is a bit heavy so I am not sure if a clip on is enough for distribution to be comfortable. I am pretty big (6'4 300lbs). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Oh I want one oldoutlaw but the wife told me to pump the brakes on any new firearm purchases. So I am going to just get a few things for the 9 new grips 10 rd mags...but Christmas is right around the corner so it will be on my list.

6. SWAGA

Consider Thingmeister grips.
    He's got a thread around here somewhere.
    Mahan sights and the Joey trigger and that's about as fancy as you can get.
    $60 wood grips
    $40 Mahan sights
    $23 Joey trigger.

Don't forget a full mag increase the value too.....;)

7. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Ok thanks I will check it out.

8. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

....and you just doubled the price of a C9.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yes. But you increased the value a whopping 10 - 15%.

10. SWAGA

And since when has that stopped anybody?

11. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Welcome welcome welcome to the amazing world of HP AWESOMENESS!!!!!!

12. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Rusty I have a personal policy -- no new handguns for me unless they're Hi Points. Period. I went thru a phase of buying "budget" and ended up with Charter Arms, Llama and Bersa plus a few more. They're all fine guns don't get me wrong. But for the cash I spent on those I could have landed double the number of pistols that Mom makes in Ohio. Hi Point addict? Yep.

13. gaylenstone

gaylenstone Member

I can attest to the reliability of the c9 as I have one and have shot it more then one should probably shoot, well maybe not but im approaching the 1k round mark. I bought the Hipoint new from a local gun shop about a 3 1/2 years ago. Ohh the looks of family that were had, my father in law, an avid ruger/S&W fanboy about died when i came in carrying that hi point. He said "how much was that" when i told him i paid 139.00 new he had a fit, went and got his ruger target 22 and motioned for me to come outside. We loaded up both guns with ammo, he tossed a milk jug out in the field and took 5 shots from his ruger and it jammed on him (doesnt like hollow point cheap ammo) i smiled and sent 8 9mm rounds in rapid fire right behind his last 22lr dropped the mag, loaded and sent 8 more. after about 100 rounds he turns to me and says "where did you get that again" HAHAHAHA next day he called my wife and said he bought one to keep in his work truck (coal mining construction worker) needless to say now I have one, my mother in law has his (he has since passed) both my brother in laws have one (one just bought the 45acp two days ago, :D and i got to shoot it!!) In short (or long rather) would i buy another hipoint, YES would i trust my hi point to save my life YES can you conceal carry a hipoint...well...yeah but i hope you dont have to run any:D I am glad to see a company like Hipoint making firearms for people in America that cant or doesnt want to afford a glock, sig, take your pick 500.00+ guns. It being made and serviced in USA was what drew me to them in the first place. I have never seen a reason not to like them and i am drooling for a carbine but alas the funds escape me. Enjoy that c9 and the range trips, its time well spent.

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My first HP is over 16 years old got used. I have shoot maybe over 10,000 rds its a C9 I just got new springs and firing pin for it and it didn't really need them still looks good and shoots great.

Attached Files:

15. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

I was at the gun shop\ range again today. Shot some Tulammo and blazer steel which I heard most Hi Points don't like the steel. Only had 1 jam out if 100 rounds and I think it was me. It was a fte which lead to a double feed situation with the Tulammo. I think it was my doing though. Limp wrist I am guessing. Other than that it ran great. I was looking at something that would be better suited to cc. I really liked the S&W sd9. Not overly expensive fit my hand well and two 15 round mags for less than $400. Any thoughts on these guns?

16. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I have the SW9VE, not its newer progeny the SD. However, my SW is extremely reliable using the many brands of FMJ I have tried. (Have never shot hollow-point through it). It's tightly fitted, well contoured on the grips and it fits the hand like a glove. The heavy trigger is manageable - ease the trigger back using the pad of your finger, straight back toward your eye and she'll produce really tight groups. I'd go for that SD.

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Welcome from Colorado :D

18. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Actually it's a "Model C".

19. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Thanks outlaw and thanks for the info 9guy. I think I am gonna rent one and see how it feels shooting. Most of the review's I have watched and read have seemed positive about this value based gun. I think it will be a good start for cc.

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Good eye!
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't enlarge the picture to see?