Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I shouldnt say its a big problem but got a few minutes to fire my new 9mm. 15 rounds and had one jamb. Is it OK with High Point to do mods or should you send it in first ? I hope to put a few more rounds through it this weekend ( if I can find any) Talk more later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would first check ammo (avoid Winchester White Box or American Eagle), then maybe store the mags (fully loaded) away for a week or so. If that doesnt work call Hi-point, explain the problem, they can be very helpful on the phone, also they might send you the parts if its an easy fix (shipping the C9 back works fine but it is a bit of a hassle). Good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
could also be as simple as a relaxed grip while shooting ;) send a 100 rounds down the tube and keep track of any failure to ejects or ftf's. Try tightening your grip up and see if it helps any. It does help to shoot some rounds through it to seat everything proper like and tons of info about that is already here :)...it is like finding your ass grove in a new car :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im definatly not going to give up on the gun, I will try to fix whats wrong (with the help here) but just because it was a cheap gun doesnt mean it shouldnt be right out of the box. Been shooting friends guns (popular brands) over the last year and never had a problem no matter what. All kinds of ammo and many different people shooting them, wives, kids, parents, ect... and there never seemed to be a "relaxed grip" problem and we never had to load the mag. in a certian way (and would it stay that way after the first shot ?) or keep it loaded for weeks before hand.

I have been told before that I needed to relax my grip so I dont think thats the problem and my mag has been loaded since I bought the gun (month ago)

Yes, I only shot it 15 rounds so I will keep trying and let you know whats going on with it. BB

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The other "popular brands" that you spoke of are not the same beast that a Hi-Point is. Hi-Points use a pure blow-back design to cycle. They rely on the full force of the recoil to cycle the slide and load subsequent rounds. A loose grip will not work with a Hi-Point! That is what we affectionately call limp-wristing.

Limp-wristing causes the recoil to be absorbed by the movement of the gun/wrist. The slide does not have enough force to cycle fully, which causes either a nose-up or down jam, or a stove-pipe jam. You can not expect to be able to shoot a Hi-Point the same way you would shoot a GLOCK, Springfield, Ruger, etc. Those brands rely on variations of the blow-back design to cycle the slide. Limp-wristing can be attributed to probably 60-70% of the jams people experience.

-->Go Here and read. My compilation of common malfunctions, their causes, and fixes. Go. Read. Be Knowledgeable.<--

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fired off another 5 rounds today while waiting for paint to dry..........I paint cars. I was shooting at an empty 1 gal paint can. Not sure where the 1st round went but the last 4 werent too bad. No other problems to report. And just for kicks I measured the distance I was shooting at. 50 feet :D I will have to get a picture of where I hit on the can. BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts