Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im Carter, im using my GI bill as we speak taking classes to become a gunsmith and im looking into startin a small shop but i want to focus in one area but still be able to do the rest any ideas on what area or pointers? also as i get more and more tools grow with the trade ill be giving 50% discounts to all military past or present and 25% to repeat customers so help me out send me all you got guys. thanks

Sgt.carter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sgt. Carter first off thank you for your service!!!! Now that the important part of this is over lets talk some fun.
I hope that you are able to get the schooling and things that you need to be successful in gunsmithing. A good gunsmith is worth more than gold! I see your in Indiana I'm in the NW Burbs of Chicago and just started my own business being a gun dealer. I hold a class 1 FFL keep in touch maybe we could pass each other some customers. Good luck and shoot me a pm if you have any questions I'll try to help out.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
These days you need to know how to work on and troubleshoot modern military style rifles, especially the AR15 variants as every manufacturer except Ford and Chrysler has an AR in their lineup these days, and Chrysler may have one in a year or two! Reliabilty tuneups on popular SD handguns will also get you business. Refinish to include hot caustic blue, parkerizing, and the various spray on bake on "super finishes".

However, unless you are near a major city, most smaller towns in Indiana are not going to be able to support a gunsmith very well. I worked for one back in the 80s-90s, and he was never getting rich at it. Mainly it was a dribble of broken/malfunctioning guns of all types, maybe 1 or 2 a week, then the week before deer season every freakin' hunter for 3 counties around stopped in and wanted a scope mounted on their shotgun or muzzleloader, in a hurry for opening day of course. Three weeks later when we caught up, it went back to 1 or 2 guns a week. We also built custom muzzleloaders, "race guns" and made various semi autos from parts kits as well. This was in the back of a normal gunshop, which brought in more money than the gunsmithing. At one time we were the top Springfield Armory seller in Indiana! He closed up back when ATF was making renewals tough, trying to get the FFLs down from 225K to like 30K. It worked, he decided too much hassle for too little reward.

Follow your dream, just keep your feet on the ground and your options open before you commit 100%. Where you located at, I'm down here in Grant County, about dead smack in the middle between Ft. Wayne and Indy, right off I69.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i got it covered

lol thanks for the input i got military weapons down pat being infantry i can take apart any ar15 or such in my sleep lol and im getting more work at pistols all the time and ill be keeping at it and as for the indiana thing ive had a fair share of work rly andim going to make full use of the web and ship alot of custom work i do im a great artist and make some nice art with stocks and inlays i plan on doing my best to get this off the ground so keep up the input and anything els. aslo im in terre haute about an hour and a half from indy and 2 hours from eveansville.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts