New guy with 995 issues

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by DevilDog58, Sep 29, 2020.

1. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

I'd be happy if I could get my H.P. Carbine to fire without ftf's, period. I bought 2 Redball mags b/c I read stock mags suck. It was no help. Tried Winchester ammo just in case it was an ammo problem. No help. I'm thinking extractor or follower problem but I'm no gunsmith so that's my next step, I guess.

How many people have had the same problem with their 995TS?

Just wondering if I'm just unlucky with a lemon or if this has been common. I release the bolt with no mag and it goes home fine. But when it has a mag in it, it doesn't want to go completely home the 1st time and I have to pull it back, ejecting a round and then it will go home and chamber a round. Very frustrating.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your post. Just frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2020
  2. That sucks.
    My feeding problems were solved when I switched to the Redball mags.

DevilDog58 likes this.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

1. Welcome to the Forum
    2. It’s forum etiquette that you start your own thread.

Winchester White box ammo is floor sweep ammo, it’s allover the place as far as COL.
    None of the HP guns are marvels of engineering and some need more break in time then others.
    Once you’ve had a double feed you’ll need to check your firing pin.
    In the HP design the firing pin doubles as ejector and can be bend in a FTF situation.
    Factory mags can easily be made to run reliably. Usually just a little feedlip adjustments.
    Firing pins and springs and all other small bits and pieces can be gotten from HP for free.

7000al and DevilDog58 like this.
  4. Hey, "your" problem is what made me start wondering about the mag issue in the first place. I always watched the ammo in the factory 10-round mags take a nose dive with a hard glance. The Redball mags do too, but only a little.

DevilDog58 likes this.
  5. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

Sorry for the poor etiquette. Thanks for the info. I think I'll take it to a gunsmith and see if he can figure it out.

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

@DevilDog58 also, you can edit your posts instead of shotgunning a thread with a bunch of back to back posts.

7. SWAGA

Nooooooo!
    We can help you out, 100% guaranteed.
    HiPoint also has a lifetime warranty regardless.
    If we can’t fix it with you then send it back to HP.
    Don’t go waste money on a gunsmith.

undeRGRound and moona11 like this.
  8. Rachgier

Unless the gunsmith costs less than shipping...

moona11 likes this.
  9. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

Sure. Sorry.

10. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

I can't fix it. I've used the full extent of my expertise trying to get this weapon to chamber a round, fire, reload automatically and fire again. Whenever I put in a magazine, it just doesn't send the bolt home like it should when I pull it out and release it. It works fine with no mag and usually fails to fire or jams the first round when I put a loaded mag in it.

11. Rachgier

@DevilDog58 I made you a whole brand new thread so we can focus solely on getting you up and running.

12. SWAGA

A’right.
    From the top.
    How experienced are you with guns?
    No offense just to determine if it’s safe to recommend you tinker with it.
    Bought new or used?
    How many original mags did it come with?
    What ammo have you used?
    Do you have snap caps?

*Its generally recommended here that you do NOT cycle live ammo in an attempt to trouble shoot.

13. @DevilDog58 if you can't fix it, then send it to Hi-Point via USPS. It's perfectly legal for you to ship a long gun USPS.) Shipping cost should be under $20. They will go over it, find the problem, and ship it back to you. Hi-Point has a no questions asked warranty and they will take care of you. For example, I bought my first 995 second hand, and it had a bulged barrel. I sent it to Hi-Point (aka "Mom") and I got it back in about three weeks with pretty much everything replaced.

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Tried loading one or two less rounds in a mag and see what happens? Also try pushing up on bottom of a full mag when releasing the bolt.

15. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

I'm experienced firing weapons. I'm not experienced working on them except cleaning and maintenance of them. I have always purchased my weapons new and still have the 1st pistol I bought when I was 21 (I'm 62). I don't own any snap caps.

undeRGRound likes this.
  16. James St. Patrick

James St. Patrick Member

Send it to the Hi Point pros and let them check it out. Your only cost is paying for the shipping there.

undeRGRound likes this.
  17. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

Yes, I have tried loading less than a full mag. But I haven't tried pushing up on the mag when sending the bolt home. I've always just made sure the mag was well seated but the problem I'm having is this bolt is not going home with a magazine seated. It stops short but I did try pushing the bolt handle further up but of course that didn't work.

18. DevilDog58

DevilDog58 Member

Do you think UPS would have a box to fit a rifle? Because I didn't keep mine.

19. SWAGA

Hang on a tick.
    We can probably fix this.
    Have you actually shot the gun or is it at home you get the failure to feed?
    This with one magazine or all?
    Can you take a picture of the top of your loaded mags?
    How do the rounds sit? Nose up or down?
    What do you call a failure to feed?
    • Slide does not strip a round
    • Round feeds nose down
    • Round feeds nose up
    • Double feeds
    • Empty case blocks new round
    Some have the same cause, some have different causes.
    Is the charging handle installed correctly?