New H-P Pistol Cleaning Question??

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by bigcats374, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bigcats374

bigcats374 Guest

Hello Group,
    I just bought my first Hi-Point pistol today a JCP 40 S&W. I did not even think to inspect the barrel in the store while I was there as I did not figure there could be any kind of problem.
    I got home with it and as my usual practice with any firearm new or used. I do a complete oiling on them and do a complete inspection before heading out for the rifle range and some target practice.
    I got the slide and other external parts oiled and got out my gun cleaning kit to run an oily rag down the barrel. The rag came through the barrel covered with some kind of residue. A dark black residue. I got out the solvent and brass wire brush and have spent 2 complete hours trying to get this residue out of the barrel. I have gotten about 95% or so out. There is still some of this residue remaing in the groves and on the flat surface of the barrel and no matter what I do this residue remains in place.
    I am taking the gun back to the store in the morning to see about a replacement that will be inspected more closely while in the store. If they do not replace, I will call the manufacturer on Monday afternoon and failing that I am wondering what this residue could be and the best way to clean it out of the barrel?
    I do not want to shoot it like it is and risk the chance of it exploding on me.
    Thanks for the help, Bill Henderson

2. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

Perhaps it's carbon from the factory test-firing?

Any chance you will be able to take a pic of it? I don't think it would make your weapon Kb!

3. Ari

Ari Guest

Welcome to the forum

They come from the factory ready to shoot, I do think they are lubed then shot before they are shipped. Did it look like it was plugged with this stuff or more like a dirty barrel?

4. bigcats374

bigcats374 Guest

Hi Group,
    I always thought that the guns were suppose to be shooting ready from the factory. I have heard that all the guns are test fired with 10 rounds before shipping to insure that they are in working order.
    I can not take a photo of the inside of the barrel. Sorry about that. I can tell ya that this amount of residue is minor in my opinion. Most of the remaing residue is in the rifling groves. When I place a white paper in the ejection port and shine a light on the paper this residue is clearly visable when looking down the end of barrel.
    My underlying fear is that this residue might cause the gun to explode when fired. Altho unlikely as this is such a small amount and may burn out when fired. The barrel was not plugged but did have a heavy coating of this residue.
    I did use the brass wire brush and solvent on it and used 6 different pieces of cloth which have all turn a nice black color with this residue.
    Thanks for the reply, Bill H

5. Welcome to the forum, was yours new in box? Mine was and it had black powdery substance in the barrel, I think it may be from a test fire.

6. fattie

fattie Guest

your gun is fine , just go out and shoot it , you will love it.

7. bigcats374

bigcats374 Guest

Thanks for the great help,
    I got some Hoppe's solvent today and after much effort, I finally got it clean enough to feel comfortable to go shooting.
    Best, Bill H

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

I say that there is nothing to worry about. Hi-Point does test fire their arms, and unless the residue is pitch black even after cleaning you are in fine shape! This is coming from an end user who has 2,700 rounds past his C9 and a fresh 20 in his JHP 40.

I understand the concern, but don't sweat it! They're great guns and you're going to LOVE the .40!!! The kick is far less than many .40's out there, and it just looks mean :p

9. bigcats374

bigcats374 Guest

Hi All,
    Thanks so much for the info. I also own a Dan Wesson 44 Mag revolver that weighs about 9 pounds in total with the scope attached. The weight of this gun also helps to keep the recoil down to a managable level.
    This gun how ever is simply to big and heavy to carry in the field for anything other than hunting. I am planning to take up prospecting this year and will be in areas around Utah that will be way outside of civilisation. The last thing I need to do is to come across a rattle snake or other dangerous animal with out some kind of fire arm on my person.
    I was thinking that a 9MM might be ok but decided on the 40 cal for the extra stopping power. I do haunt our local rifle range and get as much 9MM and 40 once used brass as I can carry. This will allow me to get into reloading and cut my shooting cost way down.
    The only other real question I do have at this point is the difference between the jacketed bullets that the Hi- Point company recommends and the non jacketed bullets that are available for reloading. Does anyone ever use any bullets that are not jacketed and if so what kind of results do you get?
    Thanks, Bill H

10. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I haven't shot any reloads out of my HP, since it is waiting to be picked up at my shop. However, I can say that obviously using non jacketed bullets cuts down on the cost a TON. I use a mix of both, I've found that with non jacketed bullets I have more rounds misfeed and have more problems chambering. Jacketed bullets when loaded properly work like factory rounds. Non jacketed bullets are dirtier and you have to keep a closer eye on your barrel for leading. Leading can cause overpressure.

Basically as long as you are careful, either one can work fine for practice.

11. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

i dont think any of us here, have EVER heard of any Hi-Point firearm exploding.. certainly not from any manufacturing flaw. so i think youre safe there.

no worries about the residue, its probably just burned powder from the test fire.

the Hi-Points are definitely on the large and heavy side for constant carrying, esp. concealed. but as open carry firearms in a hip or thigh holster, theyre perfectly fine.

ive ran bunches of both jacketed and non-jacketed bullets through the barrel of my JHP (45cal), and and i find the jacketed bullets are a smoother feeding round.

12. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

I've never read about it either. I am reasonably sure the VPC or the Brady bunch or some other gun control organization would bring it up at the drop of a hat if that was happening.

13. BSK

BSK Guest

so did he ever shot the gun?

14. bigcats374

bigcats374 Guest

Hi Group,
    No I have not had the chance or the weather conditions to go and do any shooting yet. I am hopeful that this weekend will be the first chance.
    I will let you how I did and do have to sight the gun in. The rear sight was way off. I have lined it up as close as I can with out doing any actual shooting.
    I will be starting out at 10 yards to get the windage correct. I will be trying to figure the elevation from there. What would be a good yardage to have this gun sighted for. I was thinking the 30 yards might be good enough.
    Thanks, Bill H

15. Here is how to remove the residue:

Buy Blue Wonder cleaner and rather than a plastic cleaning tip purchase a brass cleaning jag (about $3), the jag does a superior job of cleaning as it forces the patch into the grooves and Blue Wonder is a great cleaner.

I used to think my guns were clean then I brushed the bore with Blue Wonder and let it sit a few minutes then did a follow up cleaning using the brass jag, the patches that came out of the "clean barrel" were filthy.
    Try it and you'll never go back to another cleaner and plastic tip/patch again.
    You have little to lose ($3 for the jag & $6 or so for the cleaner) and a very clean barrel to gain.

George

16. 20 feet might even be too far. my .40 is sighted for about 10 feet.

17. What you're describing sounds like the barrel paint they used on the inside as well as the outside of their barrels. I noticed the same thing on my Hi-Point carbine and pistol. Upon really close inspection, I noticed that they coated the inside of the barrel with the same "paint" that they coated the outside of the barrel. I have no idea why they did this except for corrosion protection of the barrel when used as a "trunk gun". Although these guns appear relatively accurate, I can't help but wonder how they would react if the bore and muzzle was left "in the white".

wizard93

18. BSK

BSK Guest

i wonder what happened to him since he hasnt posted

19. The barrel is made out of steel, if it was in the white and unprotected it would rust just like any other barrel would.

A little gun oil and it would be just fine.