Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Hi point 45 from my dad. I just took it out shooting. I shot it 95 times. I used Sellier-Bellot for 90 shots and 5 PMC hollow points. I had two FTE with the PMC. I had at least 10 with with the Sellier-Bellot. Should I just give it a good thorough cleaning and polish the feed ramp. Because I had hoped this thing would be really reliable. But I don't know to much about guns so any help on this would be much appreciated. I would also love some advice on grips. I saw some older posts with recommendations but most of the links are expired so any grip ideas would be much appreciated. I had thought of stippling the grips but IDK, I'll go through some suggestions and see what happens. Thanks for reading any response is appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have enough experience with Hi-Points yet to speak to the gun itself (I've had no failures yet with my JHP), but I do know that S&B ammo is considered by many to be of somewhat low quality. I tend to avoid that brand altogether - I'll choose WWB over S&B. I really wouldn't be surprised if the ammo wasn't part of your problem - especially if you got some under-powered loads that may not have sufficiently cycled the slide.

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
My guess would be you may be limp wristing just a touch.

Firm up the grip, don't let the gun recoil, and a little more break in, and things should be 100 %.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
I don't have enough experience with Hi-Points yet to speak to the gun itself (I've had no failures yet with my JHP), but I do know that S&B ammo is considered by many to be of somewhat low quality. I tend to avoid that brand altogether - I'll choose WWB over S&B. I really wouldn't be surprised if the ammo wasn't part of your problem - especially if you got some under-powered loads that may not have sufficiently cycled the slide.
Uh, you have your ammo confused.
S & B is way superior ammo over WWB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Uh, you have your ammo confused.
S & B is way superior ammo over WWB
You may be right SWAGA. I was just sharing based on the feedback I've been given by others that have used it - and I've heard more bad than good - of course that can be highly subjective - which is why I stated it's what I've heard (as opposed to what I've experienced). Maybe I've been getting bad feedback. I know folks who swear by WWB and say it's the best for plinking - again highly subjective.

My direct experience with S&B is with their shotgun shells - I've had more problems with S&B than any other cartridge in my Mossberg - it would not be my ammo of choice.

I've yet to try it in a pistol cartridge, but if you say it's good stuff, I'm more than willing to give it a try myself next time I can find some. Lately, most of what I'm finding around here is Blazer aluminum in .45, occasionally a box of brass.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I'd firm up your grip and without ammo or magazine in, pull the slide back gently. See if the firing pin appears bent or any resistance pulling the slide back. Other wise, send it back to mom for a tune and lube. I love my HP .45. Once you get yours situated you will too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess would be you may be limp wristing just a touch.

Firm up the grip, don't let the gun recoil, and a little more break in, and things should be 100 %.
Man I am not a super experienced shooter but I really feel like I have more then a firm grip on it. I just don't think limp wristing is the problem but I will make a mental note to really focus on making sure I am not limp wristing. Thanks for replying though man.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got a new Hi point 45 from my dad. I just took it out shooting. I shot it 95 times. I used Sellier-Bellot for 90 shots and 5 PMC hollow points. I had two FTE with the PMC. I had at least 10 with with the Sellier-Bellot. Should I just give it a good thorough cleaning and polish the feed ramp. Because I had hoped this thing would be really reliable. But I don't know to much about guns so any help on this would be much appreciated. I would also love some advice on grips. I saw some older posts with recommendations but most of the links are expired so any grip ideas would be much appreciated. I had thought of stippling the grips but IDK, I'll go through some suggestions and see what happens. Thanks for reading any response is appreciated.
Is the gun new or just new to you that your dad used? If brand spanking new you're still breaking in the stiff recoil spring. Our only complaints about S&B ammo from a few customers is that it's dirty referring to the residue left in the bore. I've shot the brand in my .357 mag and it feels to be a hotter load than most. Try several different brands if possible. I'd recommend MagTech, it's very high quality ammo and sells for about $24 a box/50 for 230gr FMJ. My next 2 choices based upon customer comments would be PMC and the Geco brand which is either manufactured by RWS or Noble.

As for grips I purchased the Hogue large rubber slip on grips based upon recommendations from my fellow owners and comments on the forum. I like the way the pistol fits into my hand now and the control and no more slip. Those grip may help in your FTE's by giving you a better grip allowing the slide to do it's job.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd firm up your grip and without ammo or magazine in, pull the slide back gently. See if the firing pin appears bent or any resistance pulling the slide back. Other wise, send it back to mom for a tune and lube. I love my HP .45. Once you get yours situated you will too.
I don't feel anything different about the slide and the firing pin does not seem bent. If I send it in, any idea what that will cost me. Because if it's going to cost anything I will try and avoid that. I have heard nothing but good thing about their customer service. But just wondering if you might have any idea thanks for the response man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This doesn't necessarily pertain to my main thread but I just ordered 200 rounds of TulAmmo 230gr FMJ. Total price was 100.71 including shipping. I have heard good reviews of this ammo for target practice as long as you clean your gun. What do you guys think, good deal? or is that just average or did I **** up getting that type of Ammo. As always thanks for the responses everyone and this is a really cool forum, you guys have actually responded. I don't wanna sound to corny or anything but that's actually really cool and I am genuinely grateful for this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the gun new or just new to you that your dad used? If brand spanking new you're still breaking in the stiff recoil spring. Our only complaints about S&B ammo from a few customers is that it's dirty referring to the residue left in the bore. I've shot the brand in my .357 mag and it feels to be a hotter load than most. Try several different brands if possible. I'd recommend MagTech, it's very high quality ammo and sells for about $24 a box/50 for 230gr FMJ. My next 2 choices based upon customer comments would be PMC and the Geco brand which is either manufactured by RWS or Noble.

As for grips I purchased the Hogue large rubber slip on grips based upon recommendations from my fellow owners and comments on the forum. I like the way the pistol fits into my hand now and the control and no more slip. Those grip may help in your FTE's by giving you a better grip allowing the slide to do it's job.
Hope this helps.
Thanks man I was typing the other comment before I saw yours. The Gun is brand new out of box. The rounds I have fired are the first ones to be fired. Thanks for the advice man, I am definitely going to look into some slip on grips and for sure get back to me on what you think of the Ammo I got.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't feel anything different about the slide and the firing pin does not seem bent. If I send it in, any idea what that will cost me. Because if it's going to cost anything I will try and avoid that. I have heard nothing but good thing about their customer service. But just wondering if you might have any idea thanks for the response man.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/contact/default.html If your Dad is a licensed FFL dealer he can send it back for you. If not you'll have to go thru a licensed dealer to ship it to Hi Point and receive it after repairs have been made. Those fees are dependent by the dealer. Read my previous post before sending it back to see if your FTE's are rectified.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This doesn't necessarily pertain to my main thread but I just ordered 200 rounds of TulAmmo 230gr FMJ. Total price was 100.71 including shipping. I have heard good reviews of this ammo for target practice as long as you clean your gun. What do you guys think, good deal? or is that just average or did I **** up getting that type of Ammo. As always thanks for the responses everyone and this is a really cool forum, you guys have actually responded. I don't wanna sound to corny or anything but that's actually really cool and I am genuinely grateful for this forum.
TulAmmo is steel cased not brass. Steel is harder than brass on the extractor and can sometimes cause ejection problems due to case expansion sometimes to the point where the extractor breaks. I nor any of my work colleagues recommend steel cased ammo in semi-autos, bolt action long guns are a different story. Using steel or aluminum cased ammo (Blazer) can void the gun manufacture's warranty. Since you're experiencing FTE's right now with a new JHP, use only premium grade brass cased ammo during the break in. And don't forget to clean the gun's bore after every shooting session!

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/contact/default.html If your Dad is a licensed FFL dealer he can send it back for you. If not you'll have to go thru a licensed dealer to ship it to Hi Point and receive it after repairs have been made. Those fees are dependent by the dealer. Read my previous post before sending it back to see if your FTE's are rectified.
No you don't.... Talk to everyone here who has sent theirs in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TulAmmo is steel cased not brass. Steel is harder than brass on the extractor and can sometimes cause ejection problems due to case expansion sometimes to the point where the extractor breaks. I nor any of my work colleagues recommend steel cased ammo in semi-autos, bolt action long guns are a different story. Using steel or aluminum cased ammo (Blazer) can void the gun manufacture's warranty. Since you're experiencing FTE's right now with a new JHP, use only premium grade brass cased ammo during the break in. And don't forget to clean the gun's bore after every shooting session!
Well I guess then my only question is how long is the break in period. I have fired about 95 shots. Should I clean the gun thoroughly and then shoot another couple hundred rounds before I try the steel casings. I mean I knew they were steel but I had not heard of any expansion problems with them so that concerns me. But I mean I already ordered them and am stuck with them so do you think it will be ok to shoot them after the break in. Also does anyone know if Hi- point specifically says anything about voiding the warranty if steel casings are used.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
Try calling HP if you can't get the issue resolved... If you have to ship it back to them you don't have to go through an ffl... And HP used to throw in a free mag for shipping it to them... Think they still do, not sure.... But they will mail it back to you.. I'd try another brand of ammo if the gun is new... My C9 and JCP were both a little sticky with steel case the first time I used it in them... No problems now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No you don't.... Talk to everyone here who has sent theirs in.
Yes you do. Any firearm being sent in for repair out of state and not personally delivered must be be made from and received to a licensed FFL. The OP purchased his JHP as a private sale not through a retailer.

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
Yes you do. Any firearm being sent in for repair out of state and not personally delivered must be be made from and received to a licensed FFL. The OP purchased his JHP as a private sale not through a retailer.
Bullsh*t dude...... Not one person here has done that... Ask HP yourself..

·
Banned
6,120 Posts
No you dont. And no, Tul will not void your warranty. Where do people come up with this crap??? Tul is dirty, but does very well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I love tullammo just clean your gun after each use. I use it in all my weapons ( ak47, 9mm taurus and my jhp) and no you dont need a ffl for repairs. The gun is already at your name

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

1 - 20 of 35 Posts