Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I am new to shooting. I bought my first gun couple of weeks ago... a C9. Haven't used it yet. I was wondering If I need to clean the C9 before i use it ...If so, do I need to clean the barrel only OR clean it completely ( disassembling ) OR I do not need to clean it at all before the first use.

Thanks to all in advance.
Sam

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Clean the barrel. Resist the urge to strip the gun down. Too many idiots feel the need to totally disassemble them down to nothing. You can do a thorough cleaning at 1500+ rounds.

Stay away from The idiot Bubba Youtubers on doing things to the gun. Your best source of info is right here. Get mags and ammo. Things are really going to get weird on Wednesday and beyond.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
What Trash said. In this climate, IF you have ammo, go shoot the crap out of it - at least 2-300 round. Then, if you have an issue, ask us before going to Boobtube. DO NOT replace factory spring with after market stuff. Oh, welcome to the zoo.
upload_2021-1-18_22-43-50.jpeg
Hope you brought treats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean the barrel. Resist the urge to strip the gun down. Too many idiots feel the need to totally disassemble them down to nothing. You can do a thorough cleaning at 1500+ rounds.

Stay away from The idiot Bubba Youtubers on doing things to the gun. Your best source of info is right here. Get mags and ammo. Things are really going to get weird on Wednesday and beyond.
Thanks bud

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Swab the barrel, put some ammo in it, and shoot it. Some of us swear by loading the mags for a week or two before shooting, but I’ve never been that patient.

And don’t hand cycle it. That doesn’t work well, until it’s REALLY broken it. Besides, the firing pin is the ejector, and making it push loaded rounds out of the gun can bend it, or worse, set one off.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Thanks ajole.
What do you mean by hand cycle ?
He's talking about putting a loaded mag in the gun, then cycling the action by hand to see if the rounds chamber and eject OK. It's a C9 - they will. Hi Point uses the firing pin as the ejector. It isn't a problem for an empty case and it keeps cost down BUT if you start cycling LIVE rounds there IS the possibility of that round going off OUTSIDE the chamber. That is a bad thing, as you know. So, load it, chamber your first round, then start pressing the trigger. Unless there is something radically wrrng - it can happen - it will function fine after its broke in

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Go it ...thanks
No worries. Educating new shooter who WANT to be educated is one of the things we do well here. Along with picking on each other.
upload_2021-1-19_19-13-8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
No worries. Educating new shooter who WANT to be educated is one of the things we do well here. Along with picking on each other.
View attachment 70305

Also don't pull the slide back and ease the round into "battery." Sling shot that bad boy like you mean it! And if the slide jams when the mag is empty? It's supposed to. Drop the mag!
;)

If you want to hand cycle buy 9mm snap caps.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Hello Everyone

I am new to shooting. I bought my first gun couple of weeks ago... a C9. Haven't used it yet. I was wondering If I need to clean the C9 before i use it ...If so, do I need to clean the barrel only OR clean it completely ( disassembling ) OR I do not need to clean it at all before the first use.

Thanks to all in advance.
Sam
Just shoot it. When youre done for the day, spray it down with youre choice of lubricant (WD40) is fine, work the action a few times, spray down again, wipe dry and youre G2G.

at 1200-1500 rds fired, complete break down and clean.

·
What the Hell was that?
674 Posts
Welcome to the forum. DEFINITELY listen to these guys, they really know their stuff. Some of them may sound like rampaging nutballs, but they’re good folks. I’ve been shooting for years, but never owned a hipoint of any kind. After i got my carbine, and got on here, i learned alot about these mechanical little marvels from them. So pretend like you’re a sponge and soak up all the knowledge these guys (and gals) are willing to supply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run a bore snake through the barrel and swab out the chamber, haven’t broken them down yet (own a C9 and TS995) but I’m not at 1000-1500 mark on either yet. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Spray flush it with GT85, let it dry and use a bore snake when it gets really nasty looking (1000+ rounds at least). That's all a 995 needs. Take it apart only after at least 4 beers ahead of time. It's a cluster. Break it in and it's good to go as long as you and the next owners are alive. Best warranty there is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts