Featured New High-Point 995TS

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by vboy36, Nov 4, 2017.

1. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

I got the 995 about three weeks ago. Three 10rd High Point mags and one 20 rd Red Ball mag. Two range trips. First trip, 50 rds of Federal 115 gr FMJ. Two misfeeds. Hits were low and right. Second trip, today: 50 rds, no misfeeds. Lowered the front site and moved the windage sight all the way to the left to get to point of aim. I think to have to make that much of adjustment to the windage site suggests the front site is screwed up. Any ideas? I like the gun a lot!

[​IMG]

2. bryscotch

bryscotch Member

Yeah something is wrong you shouldn't have to move it all that way, if that picture is looking perpendicular down sight you've got another problem if sights say you're centered on target

3. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

So, the fix would be call High Point and send back for repair or just replace the front sight?

4. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

I just saw an open front site I could buy on eBay. 42 bucks. Looks like it's an adjustable front sight. I think I might just buy that and take the Hi-Point front sight off it would be an easier quicker fix than shipping it back to Hi-Point have them replace the front side.

5. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Nope it won't fit. I'll call Hi-Point Monday. Maybe they'll send me a new front sight!

6. retread

retread Well-Known Member

wi.
    loosen the 2 set screws on the front sight, move it , tighten it back down. easy!!

7. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

I really don't think your front sight is "screwed up". I think it's either not tight, not mounted on the gun correctly or your head isn't in the middle of your shoulders. It should sit in the notch like this.

Attached Files:

Coonhuntershooter and vboy36 like this.
  8. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Wow that's great news! I'll get an allen wrench loosen the screws and move it to the right because it's shooting too far to the right. I'll give it a try

9. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

I will send a picture of the front sight. The little thingy in the middle looks bent. The front sight is set in the brackets under the barrel. So I don't see much ability to move it. But I'll give it a try like I said. I am still betting on my head not being in the middle of my shoulders. I just bought another hundred rounds will give it a try. But I'll send a pic as soon as I can

10. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

If it's visibly bent then save your ammo and call hi-point. "Hey my front sight post is bent" "okay we'll mail one out to you". Done.

vboy36 likes this.
  11. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Here are pics of the under side of the front site showing that it is in place and pics of the front site post. It is hard to tell from the photos but I think the post has a slight curve. I will give them a call Monday, 2012GT. Thanks all for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

One thing you can fix right away,, your charging knob is backwards,, unscrew the bolt and flip the knob around and re-tighten..

And you can loose the rail under the barrel,, its plastic,, not good for much,, that will allow you to rotate the front sight on the barrel..

vboy36 and daveindenver like this.
  13. retread

wi.
    it's a rough zamak casting, they all look like that. don't go by the way it sits in that crappy plastic rail under the barrel. it will move with the sight when u adjust it.

14. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Thanks! Will try to get back to the range tomorrow and give it a try thanks a million

15. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

The way it sits that rail shows that the site is centered on the barrel. They don't "all look like that". Mine doesn't. Mine is straight. You can see the bend in the picture. Why are you suggesting he move the site out of center to compensate for the bent post when hi point will send a new one?

vboy36 likes this.
  16. retread

wi.
    the close up pic looks like many i've seen, you only have to move it slightly. will still look centered.

17. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

The only way he can rotate the sight left or right is to either move it forward on the barrel or modify the bottom rail. The bottom rail is basically useless so it's not a big deal, I get it. But this is a simple and free fix that doesn't even require sending the gun in. There's no need to complicate it.

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Are you high? The bottom rail under the barrel is press fit between a slot in the stock and fsp. It's shit, usually flexed, and useless.

Unscrew the two Allens under the barrel band, cant the fsp to the right about a degree, maybe two, and lock the Allens back down.

ichthyo, ajole, retread and 1 other person like this.
  19. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

Did I not just say it was useless or did you skip that part? Maybe scroll up and read the post about removing it by someone else. Once again the thing is bent. Why not get a straight one sent for FREE?

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Did you not read your own words where you say you can't rotate the sight body on the barrel without modding the rail or moving the sight forward?

I had to rotate my own fsp on the 4095, did it in a friend's 995, and given the same advice to a half dozen people on this very forum.

Mediocre_Bob and retread like this.