New High Point owners New Policies

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Photo35, Jul 29, 2015.

1. I did think that when the new owner of High Point took over there would be some changes. Slow at first then the start of the turn around of policy.
    The great part of High Point in warranty or replacement parts or even accessory parts was the Free shipping. If your Plastic sight or firing pin broke. You would call them and in a few days you received a free replacement part.
    If the Last round hold open or a sear spring became lost you would call them and in a few days you would receive the parts needed. Even the plastic grips
    or Just about any part would ship for free. If you wanted to purchase an accessory they ship for free. Now the changes begin. As of August 1, 2015 they impose a $5 handling charge, Now I understand that if you need to send the gun in for repair you pay shipping( It's up to you to find the best way to ship) What is next? New limited warranty on guns made after or sold after some date in the future? All I say is what makes High Point attractive is their customer service and repair and part replacement policy. If they start imposing fees and other charges then the value of their product will disappear. Cost and profit and customer service must go Hand and hand. Without their service they are just another cheap gun and the loyalty will disappear. Just something to think About. How Many times and how much money do you want to spend to keep a cheap gun working before it ends up in the pawn shop and you get $25 for it? I own A C9,CF380,JHP and a 995TS. I also own Ruger's, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, EAA Witness Elite, Beretta and collectable Colts. Plus Shotguns by Stoeger and Remington and other rifles by Ruger and Henry and Savage just to name a few. I just hope that Strassel Machine does not loose touch with its customers. Thank you for my Rant.:(

2. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

We've heard from one of our more in touch with Hi Point members ( MachoMelvin) that the handling charge applies only to purchased accessories, not free warranty parts. And to be fair the prices charged for accessories haven't changed in several years.
    Was there a time when the customer didn't have to pay for shipping to HP on a warranty service repair? I always thought the customer paid shipping there and they paid shipping back to customer.
    I've never had to send one in yet,.... so can't say for sure.
    Hopefully someone will chime in who has sent a gun in.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Since day one, most sensible folk have wondered how a gun maker can stay afloat giving out free parts like HP does.

I'm ok paying a $5 handling fee on accessories I order. The website costs money, pulling and packing parts costs money...and the parts are as inexpensive as they can get in my opinion.

We'll see how the warranty changes, if it does. But so far, I have no complaints.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    IMO we'll eventually see the "original owner" rule enforced.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Maybe I should send back the extra parts I have & don't need?
    HP has done what most other companies never did. Most of your higher $$$ gun companies won't just send out parts without any proof you even own a gun, let alone there gun?
    I may be the worse culprit in taking advantage of HP's warranty. I have sent 12 HP's back for repairs or replacement. But I didn't do it to make a profit. I did it to build my HP collection. I have called MoM numerous times to obtain advise & few parts to repair of my guns. But go buy a beat up Smith or Beretta or something else & try to order repair parts from the Mfg'er. Most likely they won't even have them & send you over to Brownell's?
    I'm sticking with HP, even if they charge me for parts!!

6. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

7. cicpup

Vermont

Attached Files:

8. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

So the website says one thing, the owners manual says another, looks like a phone call to HP is in order.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Way I see it is "What would win in a court of law?" A warranty on a web site or one on printed paper that's been included with every new Hi-Point sold since basically the beginning? Up until now they've followed what the site says, but they could legally fall back to the printed one any time they felt like it.

10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have only been into HP's for 2 1/2 yrs. now. It has been this way since I started. I have some older guns with original box & paperwork. Paperwork say's warranty to original owner for 1 year also. These are the older Haskell & early HP's JH-JC & JF's.
    I have found that some gun manufacturers don't have a printed or a stated warranty. Ruger for one, say's they will take care of the customer if & when asked to do so. Not sure what that means?

11. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

In any case they should be consistent in information made public regarding policies.

12. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

A gun shop owner near me, in business for over 35 yrs says he has yet to see a charge for any work sent in to Ruger.

13. Someone else was beating this very same drum practically to death a while back. Does anyone remember it? :confused: If somebody finds it maybe they can post a link to it?

14. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

I've never passed a bar exam, I'm assuming you have, but everything I've ever heard was that anytime two liability statements were made the more generous would be binding?

15. cicpup

Vermont
    All it would take to make one go away is edit a web site. Wouldn't a new owner have the right to do so if he wishes?

16. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

He certainly could, by all means, and if so would remove any confusion. This question still intrigues me.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    You're the only one confused. The generous warranty is the currently followed one. The printed one is a CYA they haven't needed. Everything else is speculation of possible future events,

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Winner, Winner... you know the rest. :(

19. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

I'm not confused as I am well aware which policy is presently followed, but am not yet ready to accept your contention that the print warranty on the instructions is that which would prevail in court since I've yet to see anything other than speculation in support of this. Would questions such as which was more recent not factor in?

20. panoz77

panoz77 Member

You might want to read the second paragraph as well. Hipoint does not have an "UNCONDITIONAL" warranty either, although they honor it as such. They are not required to cover normal wear, use of reloads, and any other user abuse. Just an FYI.