Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kidding. Want to show off my mod. Still want to do custom paint but ok with black for now. Open to suggestions on color schemes. Thinking of a theme gun of some sort. This mod took some time...had to get to shooting it to see how it handled...loving it. Suggestions? More pics coming soon. New on here so go easy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think it looks really good, different, almost an SBR look.

·
No longer broke...
21,920 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Nice gun you have there.
I'd keep it black but that's just my taste.
Go crazy just make sure you show us pics!

·
Banned
6,168 Posts
really like the front end of it, the slant of the stock throws it off for me (maybe its just the angle of the pic), but definitely potential!!! nice job on it over all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. is that a AK buttstock. I had been thinking of doing something simular and thought the AK would be the best place to start.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was going for an sbr look and I agree swaga...I personally like the flat black look but we'll see. My brother who's not a hi point fan fell in love with this thing. Did a trigger job and spring 'upgrade' and its one of the smoothest and easiest rifle I own. Thats a magpul stock on it. Younger nephew tore the center out of a target with it. He usually on shoots a 22 but mt brother let him try due to the light recoil. Will post close up pics soon to show how I integrated a rubber shock absorber. I think the angle of the pic might be the cause of the 'slant'. Thanks for the encouragement guys :) ..oh...a jj stock is my nickname.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,466 Posts
I'd like to see how you mounted the AR stock. (pics, drawings, etc)

Watch the use of hotter ammo, Moss Pawn did a 40 to 10mm conversion, and it had an FTF in every magazine, due to the harder recoil. I say that cuz you removed the recoil-sprung buttpad on the factory stock. Kinda similar effect of shooting hotter ammo. May never happen, but if it does, that could be the cause.
Moss Pawn got better results (no FTF) when Eric fired from a side-arm grip, like you would hold a shotgun. Kept the bolt from slamming back so hard.

I'd imagine you will be fine with box-stock 9mm in that thing.

WELL EXECUTED! :D

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After cutting and rounding off the stock at the back I created a steel 'cap' to cover the end. On the inside of the original stock there's a steel band formed to match the contour of the cap. Precision was essential in forming these pieces. The two pieces of steel are bolted through the original stock plastic without interfering with the blowback setup. The cap has a hole drilled in the center of the side facing where the new stock will be mounted. This hole is for bolting a honed ak-47 folding stock adapter. I didnt want a folding stock although it could be easily done. A flat rubber washer is placed in between the two for recoil.

If you still follow this without pics i give u credit...lol. But the magpul stock is then mounted with a buffer tube setup like a regular ar. 100 rounds today with no ftf or fte...happy happy happy. Has polished sear cam, trigger, etc. Thats the only thing that changes the original hi point setup. Accurate and great trigger now. Magpul stock absorption of recoil with o ring setup feels great. Sturdy enough tgat the blowback system isn't affected (to my knowledge...no failures lead me to believe thu s). Thnx for comments. Sorry if long wind but im excited about the new setup.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
That looks phenomenal! I'd love to see pics of this project so I can give it a whirl myself. ;)

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hope to get some pics by end of week..here are a few showing the o ring in between the steel cap and ak adapter. The steel cap was formed by welding two pieces together. Also one on the grip showing how i shaved it down getting rid of the big nub to fit my hand better. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ahh i see so instead of trying to mount it inside the stock you went outside.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi that is really cool,, love guys that change the looks to make it one of a kind... you should make that as a kit,, sure a lot of guys here on the forum would want one,,,i am doing a 995 into ati pro line and adding the custom trigger,custom mag release, and custom charger handle all from other guys here on the forum,,,could you go into more detail on what you did to the trigger to make it smoother thanks

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,466 Posts
Hope to get some pics by end of week..here are a few showing the o ring in between the steel cap and ak adapter. The steel cap was formed by welding two pieces together. Also one on the grip showing how i shaved it down getting rid of the big nub to fit my hand better. Thanks
That looks VERY Professional. The only thing that would make it look "factory" would be like Allen head cap screws, or flat heads. Best I have seen!

We WILL be calling this the JJ-Stock lol :D

·
Premium Member
36,058 Posts
Watch the use of hotter ammo, Moss Pawn did a 40 to 10mm conversion, and it had an FTF in every magazine, due to the harder recoil. I say that cuz you removed the recoil-sprung buttpad on the factory stock.
Kinda similar effect of shooting hotter ammo. May never happen,
That won't matter in shooting normal ammo, that the gun is designed for, instead of modifying it and shooting something totally off the charts and out of spec for the gun.;)

The classic had no springy butt plate, it still works.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you think there's a market for an aluminum stock like this? Never been a fan of the original stocks or the ati stocks. Only reason I bought a hi point carbine is because of how dang accurate they are. The carbines really are tack drivers. But back to it, do you guys think there's a market for an aluminum stock replacement like this...I have the capabilities of producing these

·
Banned
6,168 Posts
Do you think there's a market for an aluminum stock like this? Never been a fan of the original stocks or the ati stocks. Only reason I bought a hi point carbine is because of how dang accurate they are. The carbines really are tack drivers. But back to it, do you guys think there's a market for an aluminum stock replacement like this...I have the capabilities of producing these
would all depend on pricing. you would probably sell a few, but i doubt you'll get rich from them. but, if you can keep the price in a decent range, im sure you will get a few buyers for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I agree with Talon it would depend on the pricing. Some on the forum would purchase regardless of price, but to make it profitable on your end I would think you'd want to streamline the process and produce in some quantity to minimize multiple setups. Attractive pricing would lead to a high volume of orders, it's a vicious circle LOL. Anyway, I would be very interested in this, I'm thinking it might mean I'd have to get myself another 995. Oh shucks :p

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You are right talon...I know pricing would be the main factor with a high point crowd but it would be cool if hi point haters, or gun purists, would give the carbines a shot and I think making them look sexier would be one of the only way's to start bringing them around. The downside of this...always comes to price. I truly believe hi point could easily charge a little more for their carbines by polishing a few inner parts, getting rid of some of the trigger slop, and reconfiguring the star wars look of the poly exterior.

When taken apart some of the inners look...no...are a little crude. Easy fix. Imo what more in a gun are you after than something that's repeatedly pinpoint accurate, comfortable, and reliable? Don't understand why people say they would never use it for home defense. I'd rather hit my target with a gun than miss with an expensive one that was 'reliable'. I'd hate to be looking down from above saying 'boy that gun fired everytime but I could never hit the broad side of a barn with it'. Hi point carbine is a win win win if it's reliable, accurate, and pretty.

I own several expensive guns. The inners of my other guns are engineered with extreme precision. I usually purchase guns by feel and look...and get rid of them if I...I repeat...I...myself....can't shoot them well or they underperform for whatever reason. I am not a sharp shooter but comfort of the gun in my hand plays a big factor with all of them when it comes to performance.

So far, the new setup on my modification is extremely reliable...NO FTE's or FTF's which I've had on expensive pieces. Now...after the mod...it's extremely comfortable. I won't be getting rid of this anytime soon and might be doing another one.

So people know, I've sold the only glock I've ever owned. NOT from a reliability reason as it performed amazingly well..but I...myself...couldn't shoot it well (it was uncomfortable in my hand). Other guns, pistols for that matter, are staples in my collection because I shoot them well, they're reliable, and they are comfortable. Glock was an amazing piece of engineering...but again...I didn't perform well with it. And before criticizing, I'm not trying to compare a pistol to a rifle. I'm using glock as an example because of glocks huge following. A M&P sits better in my hand. A 1911 with a bobtail...even better. But I shoot the M&P better than a glock. Not hating on glock...just putting it out there to make a point. With all this...as Will Hayden told Stephanie...a pistol is a means of getting to a better weapon :). He's right. And as reliable, comfortable, and accurate as my 4595 is now, it's a better weapon than a pistol in my hand.

Point is, my hi point 4595 carbine (I own no hi point pistols nor have I ever fired one...nor have a desire...that's another subject) has never failed me and now is extremely comfortable to shoot...after the mod. A red dot quickly puts me on target and the hi point never fails...bottom line. Just saying I think gun purists would give it a second look if it was prettier and that's a shame.

Just realized...polymer might be more cost effective but an aircraft grade aluminum one would be cool :)

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.