new ksg suggestions for optic/iron sights

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lsi1, Dec 19, 2014.

1. lsi1

lsi1 Member

ok i have been wanting a bullpup shotgun since the ksg came out in 2012. I even was able to set all the negative reviews aside and continue to lust after it. well last weekend i was able to trade a couple guns for one. no one was more surprised than i was. upon my first trip out to shoot it i learned just why it was traded off. it only liked high brass shells ejecting them easier than the maybe 1 in 4 fte birdshot rounds. beyond that i learned just why there are so many reviews saying ftf issues. the shotgun does almost everything in the last quarter to half inch of the pump stroke right where the pump is designed to ride up over a leaver. unless you really run the pump it feels like that resistance is the back of the stroke but in reality the shell release has not been depressed yet.

upon breakdown of the shotgun i found a metal fragment between the bolt and the extractor not allowing the extractor to close in on the bolt completely. so i cleaned that out and am looking forward to another range trip this weekend. kt is sending me a new extractor in case my extractor is the problem. if thats not the issue i'l l try the old 870 chamber polish method.

here is where i get to the question. what optic would you suggest for a 12ga shotgun. it came with a cheap bsa red dot that was all over the place and could not keep a zero under recoil? (may not be the optics fault was not properly tightened down to the rail mounting plate but i still don't like it.)

its a shotgun and won't be used for anything precise so i want a budget friendly holographic sight that will hold up to a lot of abuse with a large field of view and bright reticle. i am open to suggestions please. also seeking flip up sight suggestions that does not have me droping $100 on magpul sights.

2. Grant

Grant Member

Congrats on the KSG. You may just want a front sight unless you will be shooting a lot of slugs. Pics?

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i'd like to have that slug option although i can tell you the ksg and slugs is a recoil experience to remember.

4. Grant

Grant Member

I've shot a number of deer with slugs and nothing more than a bead front site. For a shotgun, optics are ok, but not all that necessary. Basically, buy what you like.

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

grant i'm afraid that the height of the rail over bore would defeat the purpose of a bead sight.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Throw a set of Ghost ring sights on that rail. Almost fine enough for accurate work at long range, almost large enough to let you lead and shoot birds...:cool:

7. papataylor

papataylor Member

I use a red dot on my VEPR-12 for duck hunting and shooting clays when I get the notion to use it (box mags are no fun in a round of trap, but the look on the old fellows faces when I break clays with a tacticool shotgun is classic!)

It's actually quite easy to use on a shot gun, just keep both eyes open and I find taking ducks to be more natural than point shooting or vent-rib mid sight style aiming.

zero scope using slugs at your desired distance, pattern your shot with that zero and you're good to go!

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

what model red dot do you use?

9. papataylor

papataylor Member

No idea. It's an old cheapy I had lying around

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum