New LCP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Edknn, May 8, 2018.

1. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Took my new LCP to the range for the 1st time after a good cleaning and lube. It refused to chamber the 1st 2-3 rounds without rapping the back of the slide.I put 100 rounds through it with no change. The mag was also very hard to seat with 6 rounds even with an empty chamber. With 5 rounds, the mag seated fairly easy and the 1st round chambered fine. Ruger service is sending a new mag as that is what they think is the problem. Anyone else have this problem? Also, I have seen posts where people shorten the mag spring by one coil making the mag function. Any thoughts?

2. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Remington UMC. Bought some Winchester that won't chamber either. Haven't tried the Winchester at the range yet. Going to wait for the 2 mags I ordered and the replacement from Ruger to see if it's the mag or gun.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  3. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Sounds suspisciously like a case of the Hipoints.....
    Did you store it next to a C9?

ajole, Twisty, fatal-bert33 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dane

Dane + unkown number of likes Supporting Member

That an LCP2 ? Never heard of any problems like that before.

5. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Plain old LCP.

6. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I have a regular LCP .380 I bought after they first came out. Had the same problem for a bit. But, when I put some Hornady Critical defense in it the problem went away. Back to cheap ammo and had the problem again.

So, I just kept shooting however many rounds that fed. Problem just quit even on cheap ammo after a bit. I just felt like it was more of a recoil spring problem than the mag. Perhaps it was pretty strong and needed some flexing to loosen up a bit. FWIW

Never did figure it out. Weird deal to me.

7. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I have an 8 year old original LCP. They were often ammo sensitive until you got a few hundred rounds thru them.

Winchester was often a problem for many. Seem to remember that they had some OAL and rim thickness issues at times.

OldOutlaw and TNTRAILERTRASH like this.
  8. Dane

A after the recall model?

9. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Problem is it doesn't even want to chamber the 1st round. Had a couple others try too.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Mine is after the recall, just barely.

I'm thinking that if there is another Minneapolis gun buyback where I could get $200 for it, I'll drive the 25 miles and stand in line. Will sell the Mags separately for $10 ea.

11. Dane

Buy some of the $100 HP380s for trade in too and make some money on the deal!!

ajole likes this.
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I could buy a few AR’s with the profits from that kind of deal.:bacon:

345Sire likes this.
  13. 345Sire

345Sire Member

Still wondering how the gubmint calls buying guns that weren't normally sold by them a buyback. Nor have I seen evidence (other than anecdotal estimates) where it reduces gun violence. :headbang:

However, if you can profit off of such governmental ineptitude, GO FOR IT!! :bacon:

mn_doggie likes this.
  14. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Just got the replacement mag from Ruger. Haven't been to the range yet, but the fully loaded mag seats easily into well now and chambers the 1st round every time. Will check it out this weekend.

15. ridgeryder

ridgeryder Member

WNC
    Cause they're buying them with money they'll take back from you later.

345Sire and Twisty like this.
  16. 345Sire

345Sire Member

OOOhh, you dirty rat!;)
    That's a terrible thing to say about our illustrious politicians, shame on you! NOTTT

17. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Got to the range with the replacement mag from Ruger and 2 others I bought. Gun was flawless in 150 rounds. Tried the original mag and it jammed every round. Never knew a mag could cause that many problems.

18. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Never had a C9 did ya ;)

moona11 likes this.
  19. Edknn

Edknn Supporting Member

Only my 995 TS, no Hi-point handguns.