Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just won an auction on gunbroker.com for a NIB Hi-Point C9. I'm hoping the stories are true and that they're as good a shooter as everyone says they are. I'm not expecting it to shoot as well as the Sig I shot last week, but if it's 75% as good, it will be a great gun.

I have to wait, while the seller gets my check, ships to my FFL, I go through my waiting period, etc.

Once I get it, what then? Does it come shipped in grease/oil like many other guns? How should I clean it before I take it to the range? How many rounds should I plan on for a break in, etc?

Basically, tell me what to do to make my initial C9 experience the best it can be?

Thanks,
Croz!

·
Registered
140 Posts
On mine, I spray them down with some oil right out of the box and start blasting. Don't load your mags completely full or it will jam. Once it is broken in you can. Some load there mags full and let them sit there a few weeks. I could never wait that long. HP recommends that you don't tear down the gun to clean it. Many on this forum do, I never have. I just spray the shiznit out of it gun scrubber spray and then oil it again. No problems so far.

Many here polish the feed ramp etc. I didn't, never had an issue. Personally I'd see how it goes then decide if you want to go through that trouble. My HPs have been really problem free. Every time I shoot them I am amazed at how little issues I have considering their cost.

have fun. Others will pipe in with their advice as well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
When I got my C9 I checked out the slide, mag release and waited until I got to the range. Been good ever since. I even qualified with it for my CCW.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hi, my name is Broomhead and I am a Hi-Point addict.
Everyone said:
Hello Broomhead.
Welcome to our support group.
There are five steps in our program.
Step 1: Buy ammo and send it down range.
Step 2: Buy more Hi-Points.
Step 3: Laugh at all the Gun Snobs for paying way too much, then out shoot them at the range.
Step 4: Happily spread your addiction to others whenever possible.
Step 5:Repeat steps 1 through 4 endlessly.
Unfortunately, these are not steps to recovery.
There is no recovery.
:devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile:

My assistant, Leland, will be by to dole out the meds. :sleezy:

Go Here and read. A compilation of my own compiling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had my hi point for almost a week and i have shot the @!$# out of it, at least 300 rounds through it.
I have not had one problem with it it is the greatest gun for the greatest price.

Hi-Point is top drawer in my book!!!!!

P.S. it also comes with a LIFETIME warranty, that means you can send it through a wood chipper and they will still fix or replace it for free!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After it has been through the wood chipper, how much of the gun do I have to collect to send back, and does it matter if some wood chips get mixed up in that too?

300 rounds in a week? WOW!

Of course, I can totally see doing that. I put 50 rounds through a rented Sig in 18 minutes at the range by my office. That means 1 lunch hour session could mean 100 rounds. Shoot 3 days out of the week and ...

It adds up fast.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I have had my hi point for almost a week and i have shot the @!$# out of it, at least 300 rounds through it.
I have not had one problem with it it is the greatest gun for the greatest price
What ammo did you use? I'm picking up a C9 in about an hour.

·
Banned
4,846 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for someone to tell me where in Kansas City (MO) I can go buy one so I can begin all the fun you guys are having.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to buy mine on Gunbroker to get anything close to the price that it normally retails for. In the Tampa area, dealers are getting $199+ for them. Need to get that money order in the mail, though. I can't wait to get mine!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Croz, Broomhead is right. Hi Points are an addiction. I own Glocks and Berettas, but I didn't know what fun shooting was until I won a C9 at a gun raffle. 2 weeks ago I bought a JHP and found it shot every bit as well and reliably as my G30. I find myself wandering in and out of gun shops looking for accessories, looking for carbines.........ahem. Sorry I was away. You shouldn't need to do anything to your C9 but that doesn't mean you can't. Have fun, practice and spread the word to the ignorant and unwashed. Do I hear an amen brothers?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own Glocks and Berettas, but I didn't know what fun shooting was until I won a C9 at a gun raffle. 2 weeks ago I bought a JHP and found it shot every bit as well and reliably as my G30.
Thanks citori59.

I'm not trying to call BS on anyone, but I see statements like that all the time. I'm a relatively new shooter, but I've rented some $900 sigs and some $200 cheapos, and I've certainly seen the difference in how they shoot.

But I continually see statements like yours that suggest that HiPoints shoot every bit as good as guns costing 4-5x more.

I'm often reminded of another hobby, woodworking. There was a certain beloved, inexpensive table saw that the general WW called cheap, and the devoted would rail against "tool snobbery," and suggest that it was a better saw than those costing 6 times as much. What I found was that it was obvious they hadn't tried the better saw. Because when I tried that $300 saw and my friends $1800 saw, there was no comparison at all.

But on this forum, I'm constantly seeing people say that they really do have Glocks and Sigs and that their HPs shoot just as well. Are you serious?

Does a $150 dollar HP C9 shoot every bit as good as a $900 Sig 226?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi, I did find some flakes inside the barrel so I ran a couple patches through it then just went out to shoot it. I had no fte, ftf, or jams but I should note I left one out of the magazine each time. For general range shooting it loves Blazer Brass FMJ, at $9.00 a box.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
the only problem i had with mine was the ammo. it does not like Winchester at all. feed jams 5 out of 15 mags. American eagle no problems.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The nice folks here will help you with any problems and offer good advice. I love my C9 and JHP. They are a little bulkier than other guns of the same caliber.

I've never shot a pistol costing 5 to 8 times what the Hi-Point does but at the range my Hi-Point has comparable accuracy to the other guys guns that do cost 5 to 8 times as much. I have had no FTF or FTE but I've seen the other guys guns pull those stunts.

Anything mechanical can malfunction and I'm sure that eventually mine will just like the guns that cost 5 to 8 times what mine cost. Kicker is that I have a lifetime warranty and the guns that cost 5 to 8 times more don't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the ammo i have been using and also reloading with is good and cheap american eagle 9mm 115gr. w/ brass casing made by federal...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
...I'm constantly seeing people say that they really do have Glocks and Sigs and that their HPs shoot just as well. Are you serious?

Does a $150 dollar HP C9 shoot every bit as good as a $900 Sig 226?
I've got $500 , $1000, and $1500 semi-autos. I would say the C9 is just as good any $500 gun. Some owners have issues, but it's mainly due to the magazines. Hi-Points are inheritantly accurate because the barrel is fixed to the frame. Also, where can you get any firearm that is guaranteed forever to any current owner? Doesn't matter how many previous owners.

Bottom Line: it's a terrific value; price vs. performance vs. warranty

G

·
:welcome: I have only fired my brother's HK USP Compact 9mm for comparison. The only "advantage" advantage his had over mine was that the trigger pull was a little lighter. Personally that wasn't an issue for me, since i like the fact that I know that when the gun goes off, it is because I intended it to. The HK was a little lighter overall as well. He paid $500 for it used from a friend, who had paid about $900 for it. I did the math and gotta say I am happy with my choice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amazing stories! I really can't wait to get mine now, and see how it shoots for myself. I'm anxious on how long this is going to take. I've contacted the seller to get payment instructions, but haven't heard back yet. I want to get that ordered!

Between mailing the MO, FFL transfer stuff, shipping time and Florida's lovely 3 (really 5) day wait, I have a few weeks yet. Almost enough to make me wish I spent the extra $60 and bought it over priced from the dealer in town who carries them. But not really. $60 will buy some magazines, or some ammo instead.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the only thing i can recommend is to keep shooting and keep shooting and keep shooting and, etc. I have had mine for only 5 months and have put nearly 2000 rds through it. i can hestly say that i have had less than 15 FTF's/FTC's/FTE's. that is a falure rate of .75%. I just can't get enough of that pistol. Infact, you have inspired me to go to the range this afternoon for some "Therapy"

1 - 20 of 61 Posts