New member with new to me 995

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by troopermark111, Jan 31, 2015.

1. troopermark111

troopermark111 Member

I picked up a used 995 at a Gander Mt. store. Looks to be in great shape, clean inside and out, very little signs of use. Out the door for $148. No box or papers, and only one mag. Is there anything I should look for before I shoot it, any known problems for this model? Serial E23XXX anyone know how old it might be?

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Welcome to the forum.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

If it's a 995 it's the classic model. If it says 995ts its the latest version. Either way, I know of no issues you need to be concerned about. Make sure the barrel is not obstructed and take it out and shoot it.
    Bring lots of ammo, cause you will need it.
    fun fun fun!!!

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

Or like this?

[​IMG]

With the serial # starting in "E" I'm guessing the second one. Mine is about 2 years old and starts with a "F". The TS version was originally released in early 2009. So yours is between 2 and 6 years old.

As you can see, this isn't an exact science.

edit: Know what's fun? When you do a Google image search for Hi-Points and find a bunch of pics of your own guns.

6. troopermark111

troopermark111 Member

Mine is the 995, not the 995ts. I looked it over and in the ejection port, and could see no evidence of it being fired. No wear marks, no powder residue, no brass marks on boltface. I live in the country and have no near neighbors, so I have a dueling tree type target in the back yard with a good backstop. It was cold and windy here yesterday afternoon, but with my setup I can shoot out of the back window of the garage at the dueling tree. Distance is only 25 yards, but after seeing the first shot hit the snow over the top of the target, I held on the lower edge of the plate and can hit them every time. I'll shoot it more for accuracy when the snow and ice are gone. I would like to mount a red-dot in place of the rear sight, and looked at the Hi-Point website for information. I see in the parts breakdown picture what looks like a weaver-type mount, but don't see a part number listed. Can anybody offer a suggestion?

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Most likely around 2006 - 2009 for age.

The feed ramp is powder coated. Check it for wear for evidence of use.

Call Hi-Point and ask for the scope rail for a "classic 995". They'll send it for free. It looks like this.

Attached Files:

8. Fishy1

Fishy1 Member

HP did beef up the original firing pins. They also switched to a 2 firing pin spring set up instead of the original one spring and spacer design. Just something to look at.