Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
541 - 560 of 564 Posts

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
I said it years ago. If they would take glock mags his company would triple their sales in weapons.
It would take a complete redesign of the firearm. They're designed for a single column magazine. If you look at the mockups/"prototypes" of the YC9, it's clear that the mag is designed as a proto-coffin mag, similar to what IMEZ did with the "hi cap" Makarovs. No doubt that this was done to minimize redesign of the pistol. Though, imo, with so much other redesign going on with the YC9, it would have been just as cost effective to redesign for a double-column mag. <shrug> And, if you're doing that, I agree that a commodity knock-off glock mag would have made sense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
It would take a complete redesign of the firearm. They're designed for a single column magazine. If you look at the mockups/"prototypes" of the YC9, it's clear that the mag is designed as a proto-coffin mag, similar to what IMEZ did with the "hi cap" Makarovs. No doubt that this was done to minimize redesign of the pistol. Though, imo, with so much other redesign going on with the YC9, it would have been just as cost effective to redesign for a double-column mag. <shrug> And, if you're doing that, I agree that a commodity knock-off glock mag would have made sense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Eh, most of the YC-9 redesign is cosmetic - a longer bbl, redesigned external slide casting, a wider magwell below the trigger bar. Not even HK redesigned the trigger group on the P7 when they went from their 8 round single stack mag to the 13 rnd coffin mag. If HK didn't do it, it's a high bar to expect that Mom would.

I'm hopeful the YC-9 hybrid magwell will still accept existing single-stack mags - and that the 995 will be redesigned to accept both. We already know the High Tower stocks are set up for the YC-9 mag, might we see a 30 round double stack coffin mag from Red Ball?

· Premium Member
9,835 Posts
There's probably a reason most gun designers don't go w/ coffin mags.
I suspect this is the root of the problem for Hi-Point. Probably started with not wanting to make significant changes to the frame, and that in turn meant going to a coffin magazine. Just my WAG.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
I counted 10 shots, not 12.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Me too. And did you notice how he carefully concealed the base of the magazine?
Yeah, they never show it. I know that there's a lot of concern about the mag. On the one hand, the coffin mag (or neo/quasi coffin mag, whatever) is a lot more complex than a vanilla single column mag and HP has a spotty reputation on their 9mm pistol magazines. On on the other hand, both Russia's IMEZ and even Pro Mag were able to figure it out and deliver reliable iterations for the IJ70 18AH pistols, so it's not like it's unobtainable. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
37,174 Posts
One would think that, as you wear out your old tools and dies and replace them; at some point you would say hey, why don't we bump the width a bit, and put a double stack single feed mag in there?

That said....wonder how long their stuff lasts? Are they still using the original stuff? I mean, Zamak isn't steel, and I think they do injection molding and casting on a lot of it...maybe things last a lot longer since it's so much softer than steel?

· Resident PITA
16,262 Posts
They really should just throw the slide & barrel on a C-9 and call it a day. Between the unreasonable delay and the shitty name, it's time to admit defeat.

· Registered
1,320 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
One would think that, as you wear out your old tools and dies and replace them; at some point you would say hey, why don't we bump the width a bit, and put a double stack single feed mag in there?

That said....wonder how long their stuff lasts? Are they still using the original stuff? I mean, Zamak isn't steel, and I think they do injection molding and casting on a lot of it...maybe things last a lot longer since it's so much softer than steel?
Somewhere I have an AFTE article about... Lorcin, or maybe Jennings (ZAMAK at any rate), either way the life for a die set given in that article was around 300,000 350,000 cycles.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Handwriting

541 - 560 of 564 Posts