new mosin m38

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Krippp, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

one word on this new gun.....COSMOLINE...WOW

having alot of fun tearing it apart and finding more of the stuff the deeper i go

2. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

And what have you found? :D

3. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

cosmoline and more cosmolina and suprisingly little to no wear or corrosion damage, once she's all cleaned i'll post a full set of photos

4. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

Yeah, Mosins are just all around rugged. I think they dig most of them out of the ground and sell them as is. Be sure to post those photos! :D

5. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

so i hear these things have a hard recoil, how bad will the shorter barrel version i have be?

6. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

I have an M44 and its about the same as my buddies' M38. Its a bit more but nothing too unwieldy. Just don't make the mistake I did and put your thumb across the stock behind the bolt as the recoil tends to drive you thumb right into your nose. But I have a big nose so I was probably asking for it.

7. Recoil ? What recoil ? Jus like shootin a .22 :twisted:

8. I had two m-38's and reluctantly got rid of them before I found out how to cure the sticky bolt problem. I'll be buying a couple more real soon. If you fire it around dusk, you will have an amazing fireball two to three feet long that looks cool.

They have a mosin forum if you want to find out about sticky bolt syndrome. Mine would usually freeze up within three rounds. It's either a headspace problem or a cosmoline leeched bore. You'll know if you have it because you won't be able to operate the bolt without a hammer if it freezes up on you.

9. M38's are cool...got an all number stamped match in true M38 stock (no bayo relief) paid $80 at a gunshow...95% bore.

Been trying to find another like it but no luck.

10. Cosmo: an uneducated and half-informative suggestion.

Several months ago, there was some talk on a forum (a Mosin forum I think, but I can't be sure) about a sale on steamers at CVS drugs. These steamers, marked down from about $40 to $10 in some locations, were praised for their ability to melt out cosmoline and raise dents in damaged stocks. I was unable to find one, and so can't give any specifics, but if you go to a drug store and look for steamers (clothes steamers? wallpaper steamers?) you may find something of value.

11. Maybe its because I am a bigger guy, but the mosins or my 8mm mausers do not kick me that bad. I shoot hundreds of rounds and am not sore afterwards

12. Ari

Ari Guest

I too don't think they kick all that bad....

13. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

as you'll be able to tell by the video below, I ain't no little fellow either so I think I'll be able to handle the recoil....let's hear it for the big boys

[​IMG]

14. neothespian

neothespian Member

Recoil is relative. I'm a small guy, but I've been firing 7.62 variants since I was 14. I was very well used to x39, but when I shot the 54r, I can assure you it is a WORLD of difference!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7uyzPPW7wA[/ame]

It has a very different action than most "modern" rifles, so be prepared for a unique experience. But, once you fire it a few dozen times you'll find that it's a very easy to keep aim at long distances, and will easily become your favourite long arm!

15. Maybe its just me but I only shoot the lightball ammo (Got 3,000 rd Czech silvertip stashed) it doesn't seem to kick so bad.

Also got 1,600 rds of Czech practice ammo (46 gr) very accurate out to 110 yds then drops off drastically...very much fun though....all the bang with a .22lr kick.....

16. krippp you look pretty close to the same size as me, just make sure you pull that baby into your shoulder good and it should be a walk in the park for you, have fun!!!!

17. By the way, just curious, did you get the headspace checked on it when you bought it? Always a good idea on these older guns especially

18. Hope you enjoy your rifle.

19. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

I did get the headspace checked at the shop before i bought it, even though all the numbers matched where they should no since taking a chance