New project complete, the first of many.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Langford, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Langford

Langford Guest

I was in the mood to start a new project, and I decided on a ruger 10/22 for the base. I joined up at Rimfirecentral.com and did quite a bit of reading and drooling over the "ultimate 10/22" thread, and I knew what I wanted to do....so the day after I registered there, I picked up a base stainless/synthetic 10/22 from Cabelas and started ordering parts.

A week later, this was finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, this is the first of many 10/22 projects. I’m not sure if it was a good thing for me to find that site…it is already extremely addictive, and causes me to spend a lot of money. :shock:

Enough of the blabber, here is the specs on the build.

Ruger 10/22 stainless Carbine
    Predator Midnight Raptor stock
    Green Mountain .920â€x20†Stainless Fluted Barrel
    Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm scope
    Leupold stainless QRW scope rings
    Leupold Scope Caps
    B-Square stainless Bi-pods
    Ten22 Innovations bolt buffer
    Volquartsen 10/22 Target Hammer
    Volquartsen Extended Magazine Release
    Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
    Uncle Mike’s swivel Base

There are a few more things I want to add/change like a different trigger, get the bolt jeweled and new handle, paint the black scope caps sliver, and I will be swapping out the Raptor stock for a T-rex when they are available. I will be keeping the Raptor for my next build that I plan on starting soon, which will be a lighter hunting 10/22…this one is awesome, but way too heavy to carry around the woods. I also plan on doing a 10/22 charger build, and doing a light “girlie†build for my girlfriend.

Just thought I would share,

Kyle

p.s.

sorry about the picture quality, I wanted to get some good ones outside...but we have a few inches of snow on the ground, and it is still snowing...so I would rather stay inside. :D

2. I envy your snow :( Great lookin gun there too !! Good job !!

3. Good Golly!!!! That is N I C E, great job, sir.

4. Wow, that is nice, nice, nice.... question is.... you bought at $150 rifle, how much did you add in accesories? If you dont mind me asking.

5. Man thats an awesome looking 10/22.

6. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

That is absolutely gorgeous. Is it for sale? :)

7. Langford

Langford Guest

Total as of right now is right at $1300 including the gun. After I add the few other things that I mentioned, I will be up around the $1600 mark.

I know its a little crazy for a .22, but it was fun. The gun was $249...it was a little more expensive because I wanted the silver receiver, and because I bought it at Cabelas. I got it there because they were the only place that would take my remington 597 .22 in on trade...that gun looked good, but it shot like garbage. Most shops wont even take them in on trade because of the amount of failures they are known to have.

If I had the chance to start over again, I wouldnt change anything. And if I saw a gun sitting on a shelf at a store exactly like this for half of what I paid, I wouldnt even consider buying it. This was my first time really building a gun from the ground up, and it was a great learning experience. The money really isnt a big deal, I would have probably blown it on another truck modification if I didnt spend it on this....but now I have an awesome looking .22 that should punch the same hole at 50yds and I can say that I built it myself.

8. Langford

Langford Guest

Here is a picture of the stock that I will be switching too, it is made by the same company that makes the Raptor that is currently on my 10/22...they are developing it right now (this is the pre-production model), and it should be out in April.

This the "T-Rex" by Preditor gun stocks.

[​IMG]

I wont be going for the painted finish though, I will either do the same color that currently on my 10/22 (midnight laminate), or the "Forest Shadows Laminate" shown here on a Raptor:

[​IMG]

I love the Raptor stock, but I will mainly be using this gun for punching paper off of a bench...so the T-rex will be a little better for this. And I will be using the Raptor for a very light weight 10/22 hunting rifle that I will be starting soon, it will have a black receiver, and a carbon fiber volquartsen barrel.

9. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

That is an awesome 10/22! I wish I could find the extra cash to indulge in 10/22 customization. Good Work!

10. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

That is a very sexy gun! Very sexy!

See what happens when you get snow and can't get out and play? You start doing things!

11. You better show use the 1/4" club card lol. You know what Im talking about too I know you do!!!!!!!!

12. Langford

Langford Guest

I haven't even chambered a round into this gun yet...I know, thats pretty sad.

I will be doing a lot of target shooting as soon as I can join up at the local gun club, I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to get sponsered in so he can get me in.

As soon as I can, I will participate in the 1/4" club. I know the gun will be capable, it just depends on me...but I like to think that Im an ok shot, so it shouldnt be too hard.