Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
Our seniors had a bunch of signs along the road in front of the school for graduation, like the politicians distribute, wth their picture on them. Some of them didn’t get picked up, my wife, being a custodian, went out and gathered them up after a week went by. I told her they make great target holders, bring them home.

Then I realized...I don’t have to put targets on them, as they already have a target printed on them.
Not sure what that would look like to a casual observer at the range.

·
Resident PITA
16,156 Posts
I just pull over and grab a BLM sign off some guilt ridden white suburbanite's lawn on my way to the range.

·
No longer broke...
21,914 Posts
Proud boyz targets

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
8" paper plates stapled to cardboard is all I ever use, but then I'm only trying to get a rise out of people who go on picnics or just don't like to wash dishes.
Got to admit...I have a stack of paper plates and a sharpie in my shooting gear. I got some rolls of 2" stickers that let me cover the center up and keep using the same plate. Yes, I AM that cheap.

·
Administrator
29,122 Posts
I use the "Shoot N See"s 'cause if I don't, I can't.
When you shoot an animal (or a person) can you usually see immediately where you hit?

Back in the '80s there was an influential designer who developed a training and shooting system in which one of the primary tenants of the system was the target was photo-realistic and didn't have visible "critical" and "hit" zones. Those were printed on the back of the target and you didn't get to "see" how well you shot until you could go downrange and check the back of the target.

I keep intending to write an article about him and his system. Maybe this weekend.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Think1st

·
Registered
262 Posts
When you shoot an animal (or a person) can you usually see immediately where you hit?

Back in the '80s there was an influential designer who developed a training and shooting system in which one of the primary tenants of the system was the target was photo-realistic and didn't have visible "critical" and "hit" zones. Those were printed on the back of the target and you didn't get to "see" how well you shot until you could go downrange and check the back of the target.

I keep intending to write an article about him and his system. Maybe this weekend.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I can do that shooting any dark target, I don't see the advantage! For an old guy like me with bad knees and eyes that aren't as keen as they used to be, a spotting scope and lighter colored or "splatter" style targets are extremely helpful. I also run different drills with some law enforcement buddies and you need to see your hits for scoring. I can understand that real world targets don't have bullseyes (usually) but for training I think it's kind of important to see your hits.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
You can't see where you hit, but you can sure see the effects of the hit.

Back in Hawaii, I was running a lane to train Soldiers to enter and clear rooms, once, and we set up the green Ivans in our shoot house so that they each hung from 550 cord tied to a balloon lodged under a bracket on the back of the green Ivan. When they engaged a target, they had to keep shooting until the balloon popped, causing the green Ivan to fall to the floor.

You could probably tape small balloons filled with chalk behind vital areas of a dark target so that you'll see the puff of chalk when one of the balloons pops.

Another option would be to put a small Tannerite target behind the heart zone.:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can't see where you hit, but you can sure see the effects of the hit.

Back in Hawaii, I was running a lane to train Soldiers to enter and clear rooms, once, and we set up the green Ivans in our shoot house so that they each hung from 550 cord tied to a balloon lodged under a bracket on the back of the green Ivan. When they engaged a target, they had to keep shooting until the balloon popped, causing the green Ivan to fall to the floor.

You could probably tape small balloons filled with chalk behind vital areas of a dark target so that you'll see the puff of chalk when one of the balloons pops.

Another option would be to put a small Tannerite target behind the heart zone.:D
One of the camps down the road from my cabin has a "guys with guns" weekend every year. Someone always brings a large stuffed animal (last year it was bad Santa), a non-participant opens the back then puts a can of Tannerite in an un-disclosed location and sews it up. the rest of us each put $5 in the pot and take turns one shot at a time from approx. 150yd.s away. Whoever blows up the target wins the pot.

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
One of the camps down the road from my cabin has a "guys with guns" weekend every year. Someone always brings a large stuffed animal (last year it was bad Santa), a non-participant opens the back then puts a can of Tannerite in an un-disclosed location and sews it up. the rest of us each put $5 in the pot and take turns one shot at a time from approx. 150yd.s away. Whoever blows up the target wins the pot.
That's an awesome contest. If I have the opportunity, I will steal that idea.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That's an awesome contest. If I have the opportunity, I will steal that idea.
I'm thinking fund raiser for the sportsman's club

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.