Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2- 20 round redball mags to go with my new 4595 TS.
I loaded them and took to the range. One seated and had a couple of issues loading,
new gun, new mag no great concern, but the second mag wouldn't seat in the gun. The mag release button would act like it would push out and seat but not quite.

Before I contact the manufacturer, I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone knows any quick fixes.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
Was the bolt open or closed?

Did you smack the butt of the mag the way your wife likes it?

Was the mag totally full and did you try it with fewer rounds in it?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
No personal experience but from what I’ve read around these here parts Red ball is pretty good with returns and exchanges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the bolt open or closed?

Did you smack the butt of the mag the way your wife likes it?

Was the mag totally full and did you try it with fewer rounds in it?
On the first trip to the range, it was fully loaded. `I thought it was seated dropped bolt it loaded pulled trigger second round jammed and mag fell out a little. It would not seat not matter how hard I hit it. So it would've had 18 rounds. Since then I've tried open bolt, mag empty and mag 7 rounds won't seat. Have tried closed bolt mag empty and mag 7 rounds no go. Smacked hard enough. So wondering is the notch on the side of the mag could be an issue.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
On the first trip to the range, it was fully loaded. `I thought it was seated dropped bolt it loaded pulled trigger second round jammed and mag fell out a little. It would not seat not matter how hard I hit it. So it would've had 18 rounds. Since then I've tried open bolt, mag empty and mag 7 rounds won't seat. Have tried closed bolt mag empty and mag 7 rounds no go. Smacked hard enough. So wondering is the notch on the side of the mag could be an issue.
Post pictures

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
You might be right. Could be a couple of things. The mag catch itself or the catch hole is out of spec. When comparing a mag that locks in and the offending mag, do you notice any obvious differences?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be right. Could be a couple of things. The mag catch itself or the catch hole is out of spec. When comparing a mag that locks in and the offending mag, do you notice any obvious differences?
No that I can see by eye, but when you shove it in you feel the mag release button start to catch it, but it just doesn't quite get there. The first mag runs flawlessly. Might be send back to Red Ball time.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
No that I can see by eye, but when you shove it in you feel the mag release button start to catch it, but it just doesn't quite get there. The first mag runs flawlessly. Might be send back to Red Ball time.
Could be. I'm sure we could walk you through a fix, but nobody would blame you for sending it back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be. I'm sure we could walk you through a fix, but nobody would blame you for sending it back.
I figure it's got to be something stupid like the notch not quite right. But 2 range sessions, 200 rounds, I love this carbine and .45 is my sidearm, so ammo is a snap. Wanted a Thompson 1927 m1a1 but for a cool grand less, this will do just fine.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
I figure it's got to be something stupid like the notch not quite right. But 2 range sessions, 200 rounds, I love this carbine and .45 is my sidearm, so ammo is a snap. Wanted a Thompson 1927 m1a1 but for a cool grand less, this will do just fine.
People who say you can't put a price on fun have never needed to feed a firearms habit.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Could be as simple as lightly smoothing the edge of the hole with a small file.

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
Could be as simple as lightly smoothing the edge of the hole with a small file.
Some people don't want to do work on stuff they buy expecting to function properly.

At least he's not the kind of guy who ignores the advice, complains he doesn't like the solution, takes a bunch of pictures to prove how the advice is wrong, and then says "well I haven't shot it much but when I push it with my thumb it does this" and proves the solution was the original advice he was given...

·
Read Only
898 Posts
I would get ahold of the company and see if they will replace it and they might let you keep the old one then i would try to modify it to see if you could get it to work if not and they want it back nothing lost but a little time without it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some people don't want to do work on stuff they buy expecting to function properly.

At least he's not the kind of guy who ignores the advice, complains he doesn't like the solution, takes a bunch of pictures to prove how the advice is wrong, and then says "well I haven't shot it much but when I push it with my thumb it does this" and proves the solution was the original advice he was given...
I took your advice, here was my final sight picture. Gas Metal Automotive lighting Landscape Automotive tire

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
Looks better than your original description sounded. Now we just need to get your magazine issue sorted.

The advice @cicpup gave is your best bet. Just file that catch a little bit at a time until it hooks, and you're golden.

·
Read Only
898 Posts
Just grasping at straws here but could it be that the catch lips isnt far enough out to catch on the mag release do you have a way of measureing both to tell if there is a difference

·
Administrator
24,794 Posts
Just grasping at straws here but could it be that the catch lips isnt far enough out to catch on the mag release do you have a way of measureing both to tell if there is a difference
The catch on the left, empty mag, looks like it's a different shape punch out and not as deep across the front of the mag as the one on the right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks better than your original description sounded. Now we just need to get your magazine issue sorted.

The advice @cicpup gave is your best bet. Just file that catch a little bit at a time until it hooks, and you're golden.
Thanks for advice. 40 minutes of scrape, scrape, scrape, check fit..scrape etc... later (about 1/16") it was seating with very little force. Took it the range today, ran a full mag with no hiccups.
Took another pic I thought I'd post that shows the stamping was too low from the factory on the one on the right.
Maybe it can help someone else.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts