New Reloading Bench

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by histed, Sep 7, 2020.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

So I moved into a new house last Tuesday. Still unpacking - prolly will be for a while. Upside to the whole move is that the basement is dry and Mrs. Dawg has declared it "Man Territory Only", since the steps are very steep and she saw a spider the size of a 'Lassa Raptor down there. I have three rooms to play with, so one becomes my reloading room. Let's just say the room is big enough to accommodate even greg's horde of presses. Now what I need are ideas, drawings, blue prints, materials to use, materials to avoid, configurations, lighting ideas..... I have one chance to build the perfect reloading set up and, God forgive me, I'm asking you jabrones for help. Kirk, I'm retired now, so this could turn into a series of articles - Quien sabe?

Rerun, adam01364, lklawson and 2 others like this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sounds like a plan!

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have the habit of using old industrial grade desks. If I had a basement that did not leak when it rained - my plans were to laminate some 2x4 together, widened to wide end. Sand the top smooth and lag bolt it to the way. 4x4 posts would be thesupports. The bench itself need not be more than 12 to 18 inches wide. Encase it in epoxy. I would make it between 8 and 12 feet long.

My plans were for a 12’ x 12" bench. Don’t need a Wide bench and be reaching overstuff. Just a sturdy base to mount my presses to with enough room for my scales, trays and other necessities.

I changed my plans because I am not going to keep the second house. It’s old, outdated, and I am finding too much wrong with it.

4. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I've converted all my lighting to LEDs. I believe I could perform brain surgery in my kitchen and utility room, they're so brightly lit.

And congrats on retirement :cheers: I've been that way going on 14 years this coming January.

histed likes this.
  5. histed

histed Supporting Member

@greg_r This is kinda where I was going. If I could find one of the old heavy wooden desks, like I had when I started teaching, that would work really well. The 12' X 2' 2X4 table sounds good, too. Think there'd be any problem with the press pulling loose?

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Menards had ready to put together benches made out of 2×6. I use them in the shop as they were cheaper than just buying the materials. Don't know if they still sell em or not

histed likes this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

No Menards in my AO, but I did see a couple in Harbor Freight. Be worth checking them out

8. greg_r

There is really no way they would pull apart.

Take the 2x4 and coat one of the 4" sides with epoxy. Butt up the next 2x4 on the epoxy coated side. 4" sides together. Screw them together, then the next one and so on until you get the width you want. Then completely encase your bench with epoxy.

This is not my idea. I took it from a work bench I found in a wood shop. It’s very heavy. And extremely solid. When I was planning mine I thought about epoxy to the concrete block wall and lag bolting the first 2x4, then building off of that.

histed likes this.
  9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jabrones ??
    Shouldn't it be "Cabrones" ??

histed likes this.
  10. histed

histed Supporting Member

You haven't been here long. I meant "Jabrones". They know who they are
    [​IMG] and most of them are friendly most of the time

lklawson likes this.
  11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Well, I have been here for almost 3 years, just don't post much.
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings with my remark, I just thought you were trying to say something in Spanish, and didn't want you to look ridiculous by saying it wrong, that's all.
    :lurk:

histed likes this.
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Plus one to the LED lights. $25 for the hanging plug in type at Harbor Freight or Sam’s club, and then the little strips that fit under the press upper surfaces.

Talk to the school maintenance people if you still have any contacts...might be able to get some lockers, good for powder storage. The half height PE style might be nice.

I have one of these Harbor Freight benches. Might need some reinforcement to handle real pressure on a press, the top is about 5/8 to 3/4” thick and NOT oak or anything, but the table is nice for $150, and could be a nice place for storage bins, scales, etc.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html

[​IMG]

histed likes this.
  13. moona11

Heres the ones I have. They would be great. I did have my reloaders on 1 of these but moved them to a smaller beach I made so I could move it around Screenshot_20200909-003436_Samsung Internet.jpg

ajole and histed like this.
  14. greg_r

That one looks pretty sturdy. It seems to be braced well.

this one will need reinforcement. It has a lot of lateral movement. You will need an above bench mounted press like the RCBS Summit or the Forster Co-Ax, or mount your press on the Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount, or forgo the use of the drawer. It’s the bench my nephew uses. Turned out good, but took some work to make it sturdy.

ichthyo and ajole like this.
  15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's an inside joke. You missed it. That doesn't hurt anyone's feelings but it does tend to kill the joke.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

histed likes this.
  16. histed

histed Supporting Member

No hurt feelings here. Besides, I taught school for 23 years - I'm used to looking ridiculous. I do appreciate the thought anfd the effort

Jokes often clear someone's head here, mine included. I'm partial to the Rippy references

lklawson likes this.
  17. Fracman

Fracman Member

This is what I have too. I moved the back 2x6 to under the front 2x6 it seemed to strengthen the front 2x6 for my single stage press. Don’t need the strength for my Dillon

moona11 likes this.
  18. moona11

I only used it a short time before I moved to a shorter table that I could sit comfortably that little bench table I bolted down 2×12s and used wood nuts and bolts to secure the presses.

19. Rerun

Rerun Member

Here's a set of plans for a portable bench - use 15/16" MDO IMG_20200621_181047.jpg

eldar

histed likes this.
  20. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

My new bench will have this material on the top, possibly covered with something else.

We used it on a lot of new homes. It’s strong enough that we even used it for stair treads.

histed likes this.