Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I finally went and did it :) I'm the proud new owner of a Heritage Rough Rider .22 8)

With the price and availability of ammo causing issues these days I decided that part of my tax return would go to a .22 handgun of some kind as I already have a .22 rifle. This way I can at least shoot something when I want to without breaking the bank ;)

I thought about a whole bunch of different guns, but I had to keep the price down. I looked at the Ruger MKIIIs, the Walther G22, and the Sig Mosquito, but they were too much money for the model I wanted, didn't quite fit my hand right, or just didn't feel right. I also remembered some inexpensive revolvers I'd seen in a hardware store up north a ways...

After much deliberation, I went back to Ace Hardware in Overton, NV where I bought my C9 and picked up my new shootin' iron. I chose the model with the blue frame, cocobolo hardwood grips, adjustable sights, and the dual cylinders. I figured it's got a 6.5 inch barrel and adjustable sights and the reviews I found said it was pretty accurate, so it would probably serve my needs as a cheap gun to practice handgun shooting with. I also like the versatility as the .22lr cylinder will shoot just about anything you want it to - CB caps, colibri, shot shells, .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. And if I ever want to go for the Tim Taylor "MORE POWER" route, I can load up a cylinder of .22 magnum :devilsidesmile:

I stopped out in the desert on my way home to try it out and boy does it shoot nice! I haven't shot paper with it yet, but it's definitely minute of coke can at 15 yards or so.

I wrote a couple of pretty long blog posts about it here and here.

I've gotta get some sleep, but here's a few pictures :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Beautiful gun. My wife has the 4-something inch barrel version with fixed sights and I'm thinking I'll have to keep my eyes out for one like yours because the fixed sights kind of suck. The 22mag cylinder is cool but when I shoot it the trigger guard hurts my hands. Absolutely no problems with the gun though. It's a lot of fun to shoot cans with .22 shotshells (or "ratshot").

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sweet gun you've got there! I've got HRR too. Mine has fixed sites and 4 1/2 barrel though. It is fun to shoot and the fixed sites don't bother me because I've put enough rounds through it that I've learned to accurately adjust my point of aim. My grips look way different though, some kind of multicolored wood. Probaly won't ever use the 22 mag cylinder unless I get a 22 mag rifle. Sure would like a 22 mag lever gun. Heck, I'll admit it, I like lever guns in and caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch, guys :) I can't wait to go play with it some more!

I went down to Sportsman's Warehouse tonight and picked up an Uncle Mike's holster for it. I think it might just be the perfect anti-critter gun for the desert - especially with two .22 magnum shotshells and three hollowpoints in the cylinder. Of course, I will carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer ;)

Yes, shooting full, unopened cans of soda is great with the shotshells! It doesn't rip the can open - it just punches hundereds of tiny little holes in it and the can becomes a fountain 8)

I'll keep posting about the performance of this fun little pistol as time goes by. Please feel free to post questions in the mean time.

Have fun!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks a bunch, guys :) Of course, I will carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer ;)
Thought those had a transfer bar safety?? If so you should be able to carry a full load

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sweet gun you've got there! I've got HRR too. Mine has fixed sites and 4 1/2 barrel though. It is fun to shoot and the fixed sites don't bother me because I've put enough rounds through it that I've learned to accurately adjust my point of aim. My grips look way different though, some kind of multicolored wood. Probaly won't ever use the 22 mag cylinder unless I get a 22 mag rifle. Sure would like a 22 mag lever gun. Heck, I'll admit it, I like lever guns in and caliber.
I like the lever guns also got a 3030 and 4570 the latter in stainless guide. want a 22 wheel one of these days.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats the gun thats always within reach of me. Great thing about .22 revolvers - in over 24 years of shooting I've never had a round not fire. Actually last time at the range I picked up close to twenty rounds that somebodys auto wouldn't fire. Worked just fine in the Heritage! Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
i have one like that but not with the sites you have, i like mine so much i just got a new western style holster and belt rig that is right out of the old west, holds 50 rounds in the belt, i have wanted a set up like this sence i was a little kid. i will post pics soon.

·
Registered
831 Posts
MAN that is a sweet looking revolver! :D That's on my must own someday list, and has been for a while. ;)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thanks a bunch, guys :) Of course, I will carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer ;)
Thought those had a transfer bar safety?? If so you should be able to carry a full load
They have a manual safety (opposite the loading port) which keeps the hammer off the firing pin - by a decent amount, actually. So yes, you could carry with a full load with the hammer cocked and the safety on and then all you'd have to do is unsafe it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
This is my HRR. Has a nice look that really doesn't show in the pic. The frame has the brass look of a classic old gun. The factory grips are different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope - no transfer bar on this baby ;) The only "safety" it has is a bar that rotates with a small lever to the left of the hammer on the back shield of the gun. When the lever is rotated down, the bar/rod lies flush with the surface of the frame that holds the firing pin. When the lever is rotated up, a part of the rod rotates into place to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

I wrote a whole long blog post about it here:

http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/arch...ritage-rough-rider-22-single-action-revolver/

Yeah, it's nice to have if it comes along for free, but I ain't gonna trust it to save my life or anyone else's ;)

2TN Mules,

Very nice look! I think those are the "green camo" grips. They've got all the different styles on the Heritage website - www.heritagemfg.com

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Yes, it's a helluva lotta fun with all the different things you can do with it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About that safety - here's pictures 8)

SAFETY ON

SAFETY OFF

The item in the blue circle is the firing pin, the green circle surrounds the safety lever, and the hammer block portion of the safety can be found in the red circle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thats the gun thats always within reach of me. Great thing about .22 revolvers - in over 24 years of shooting I've never had a round not fire. Actually last time at the range I picked up close to twenty rounds that somebodys auto wouldn't fire. Worked just fine in the Heritage! Mike
I do that too--

A range I frequent north of here-- more of a bench and table and a berm than a range always has stray unfired .22LRs that soemone dumps due to non firing-- looks like lite strikes or something-- I pick them up and blast them (as long as there is no corrosion on the round) and have never had one not fire..

I have the RR with a 6.5" and non adjustable sights, but for $149, I aint compaining. I would like a case hardened one someday, but I make do with what I have....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tju1973 - Sounds like a nice gun! Case hardened is my favorite finish for a firearm and I don't have one yet...

About that discarded ammo - I found some shiny new 9mm rounds out in the desert where I was shooting that either had a light strike or none at all. The C9 ate 'em up without a problem :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have 3 Heritage 22 cal revolvers, two with the optional mag cylinder and one that shoots only 22LR. All three have had a lot of use in Rimfire Cowboy Action 3-gun matches over the years. They are reliable and virtually trouble-free and as you say, with the mag cylinder, can be a nice carry gun for the woods or desert. I keep one on my coffee table loaded with 2 rat shot and 3 mag as we have 3 acres in heavy woods in the remote country of N. Florida. Never have used the flip-up safety as we always keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Prices are going up a bit as more and more folks discover these guns, like Hi-Point, are not cheap...just inexpensive.

Have fun with yours, it's a neat revolver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.