New Revolver

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Loopster, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Hey,
    I got me a Charter Arms Undercover .38Sp revolver, 5 shot, Its an original Charter Arms, not a CharCo or Charter 2000.

What can y'all tell me about this gun? I think it has an alloy frame. The guy at the gun shop told me it won't shoot +P.

Also, the rounds I have in it are something I've never shot before. They are Remington UMC Leadless flatnosed. How are these for self-defense.

I'm going to post some pictures in the Gun Gallery.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Congrats... I will look forward to seeing the photos. None +p something like a 148gr 158gr WC should give you the penetration you need.

3. That's a hell of a gun you got there Loopster, good for you. I would also recommend a good +P load for carry ammo, you can't go wrong with either a Wadcutter or a full hollow point in +P.

4. He still hasn't got that whole "reading" thing down yet, give him time, he'll get the hang of it.

I use federal hydrashok 38sp in my snubby. It's a non +p round that's actually lightly loaded as the 38sp is infamous for over penetration. One story I recently read was years ago one cop fired into the BG, it went through him, fatally striking his partener. The point of the story is that defensive ammo shouldn't be seen as "malicous" or "cruel". Forget which magazine it was in, but my point is I wouldn't carry non defensive ammunition in that puppy. I love my 38sp snubby, its recoil produces alot of muzzle flip due to the short barrel, but is fun to shoot non the less.

5. http://www.charterfirearms.com/index.html

Charter Arms
    281 Canal St.
    Shelton, CT 06484

Phone: 203-922-1652
    Fax: 203-922-1469
    Email: service@charterfirearms.com

When I purchased my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Special the dealer told me it had an alloy frame and would not tolerate heavy loads or lots of shooting like a high dollar S&W would. I called Charter Arms and they informed me it was made of stainless steel and all their current line of revolvers were +P rated, even the newer light weight alloy frame models are +P rated.

Give Charter a call and see what they have to say about your revolver being +P or not. Dealers often view Charter Arms revolvers as they do HiPoint's, not a lot of markup profits so they will often talk down about them.

6. I was looking at a similar gun, I believe, to get momma for Valentines Day. I'd gotten the tip from my pals at Outdoor Life.

I'd not heard of that brand before but it looks, in the picture, to be a decent unit. What would she like better, a Pink Lady, or a dozen roses? :lol:

7. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Geez, :shock: looking at that address. You guys have no idea how close I am to the factory :) [and neither did I]

Edit: I had to mapquest it. Not even half a mile away - and I never knew it was there! :lol: